xisto Community
Baniboy

How Do I Reduce The Speed Of Internet On Another Computer?

So, I have a STUPID LITTLE BROTHER that likes to watch STUPID CARTOONS on STUPID YOUTUBE.

It's really irritating to browse the net and download stuff while most of your internet speed goes to stupid youtube watcher, especially when I try to download via P2P.

Our internet speed is about 110KB/s, so you can imagine what is happening to me?! :P

I want a way, to limit the speed of the desktop computer to 50KB/s (NOTE: I'm not talking about bits, but bytes).

Is there any free software out there that will run in the background limiting the speed to 50KB/s? Or can I do it in any other way?

I'm not using a wireless router, it's just lan, a dsl modem wired to two computers.

(I'm not evil, I just want for it to be like half for the desktop and a little more than half for me B))

Why not just invest in some money and ban you tube from a certain time, It will keep him happy as it will not always be blocked but will be at some times :P Makes every body happy. But I don't know how to slow down a computers internet speed other than to disconnect it.

As far as I know this can be done using a router. Otherwise you can use Internet Download manager or Dap which are software which gather internet sources from shared Internet connections. So you could gather the Internet connection speed and cheat your little brother who likes to watch stupid cartoons on Youtube( I previously had to deal with a cousin of mine who blocked my Internet connection by watching stupid japansese cartoons).

No way that I know of , but heard of some registry tweaks in Windows XP wherein you can actually control the speed. I suggest a few readings in these sites
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-2kxp-registry-tweaks-157
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
The second link is the one that is quite interesting.

Try these in the other way arround to slow down the pc.

Your internet speed is slow, want to tweak internet speed BUT your operating system is Windows XP Professional. By default, the Packet Scheduler of Windows XP Pro limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default. That packet is QoS ( Quality of service) for Windows XP. This packet may not be often used, so Why dont we change the setting to tweak internet speed.Determines the percentage of connection bandwidth that the system can reserve. This value limits the combined bandwidth reservations of all programs running on the system. If you enable the setting, you can use the Bandwidth limit box to adjust the amount of bandwidth the system can reserve. If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the system uses the default value of 20 percent of the connection.But If a bandwidth limit is set for a particular network adapter in the registry, this setting is ignored when configuring that network adapter.Here step by step to TUNE UP your bandwith limit in Windows XP > Group policy :1. Go to RUN and type : gpedit.msctweak internet speed - gpedit.msc2. Administrative Templates > Network > QoS Packet Schedulertweak internet speed - QoS packet3. Double Click > Limit Reservable Bandwith4. Limit Reservable Bandwith > Enabled , Bandwith limit 20% change to > 0%tweak internet speed - change bandwith limit5. click OK, and Restart your connection.

Buxgoddess has some interesting articles that you should read through to see if you can actually tweak things on the end-user side (a.k.a. your brother's computer) to prevent his computer from being able to receive as much data, therefore choking his computer's ability to utilize your current bandwidth. In conjunction with editing the registry, I would also look into seeing if there is a way to actually edit the TCPIP.sys file on your brother's computer to allow less incoming/outgoing packets from his PC... and I believe LvlLord's TCPIP Event 4226 patch is really a tool that works both ways. (I may be wrong though.)Webishqutar also brings up a great point with the scheduler, but it doesn't really apply if your router has a crappy interface or doesn't have the feature of a scheduler.

Thanks for the links and advices. I found this program, "Traffic Shaper Xp" and it's good, I can limit upload and download rate of computer, while my other computer can use all the speed it needs, if it's not already in use of course. This program is for windows 2000 or Xp, but XP is what the desktop uses so it's okay with me. It's a win-win situation, I can download stuff and my brother can watch his stuid cartoons without lags AND without messing up my download times, since it always buffers the video as fast as possible if I don't use a limiter :P.If anyone else finds any other good software that does this, I'd be more than happy to try it out. Traffic Shaper Xp has many other features, such as rules and stuff like that, so I recommend trying it if you want to control your network, it's also freeware. The site I got it from was bandwidthcontroller.com, it has more cool networking tools too!

hey we EXCATLY have same problem only thing is I have a router not easy to setup as a gateway so installing traffic shaper on me is not an option unless i think i turn my computer into a gateway or server or something.not exactly, it's my sister instead of bro streaming some nonsense soap operas.

hey if you are using ubuntu then it would be great for you.

If you want to limit your download and upload speeds use one of the following tools

1) Wondershaper

2) Trickle

Wondershaper

An easy to use traffic shaping script that provides these improvements:

* Low latency for interactive traffic (and pings) at all times

* Allow websurfing at reasonable speeds while uploading / downloading

* Make sure uploads dont hurt downloads

* Make sure downloads dont hurt uploads

It does this by:

* Limiting upload speed slightly, to eliminate queues

* Limiting download speed, while allowing bursts, to eliminate queues

* Interactive traffic skips the queue

* ACKs and tiny packets skip the queue

Configuring the wondershaper requires you to accurately and precisely determine your consistent upload and download speeds.

Install wondershaper in Ubuntu

sudo aptitude install wondershaper

This will complete the installation.

Using wondershaper

use ifconfig to determine which of your networkcards is the one that is connected to your modem (and thus the internet).

ifconfig

the networkcard that has your normal ip adress is the one (not 192.168.x.x)

Go to a speedtesting website and determine your average upload and download speed. Use these speeds to setup limitations.

sudo wondershaper eth1 downspeed upspeed

Note:- Speed should be in KB

Example

sudo wondershaper eth0 10000 280

download a big and uncompressable file while pinging to a fast and stable server on the internet or to your modem and adjust your downspeed until you are satisfied and do the same with uploading a big and uncompressable file.

When you are ready you can make these connection settings permanent by

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

add these lines under eth1 if eth1 is your internetconnection. Change eth1,upspeed and downspeed to your settings.

up /sbin/wondershaper eth1 downspeed upspeed

down /sbin/wondershaper clear eth1

Useful Tip

How do I go about putting my settings back to default for eth1?

sudo wondershaper clear eth1

Problem

When you try to run similar to the following command

wondershaper eth3 4500 333

You might see the following error

What is flowid?

Illegal police

Solution

This is a bug in iproute, not in wondershaper. Debian has already fixed the problem

Replacing iproute2 with this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ solved the problem

trickle

Trickle is a voluntary, cooperative bandwidth shaper. it works entirely in userland and is very easy to use.The most simple application is to limit the bandwidth usage of programs.

Install trickle in ubuntu

sudo aptitude install trickle

Stand alone mode

Trickle is easiest to use in stand-alone mode. Simply run trickle with a download and/or upload limit and a program you want to limit. For example:

sudo trickle -d 20 -u 20 wget https://www.google.com/bigfile

Daemon mode

In daemon mode, trickle can limit a group of programs to a fixed limit of bandwidth. To start the daemon, run the trickled command:

sudo trickled -d 20 -u 20

This will start the trickle daemon that will limit the total bandwidth available to all programs run via trickle to 20 K/s both up and down. So if you run a single program via trickle, it can consume 20 K/s. Two programs can each consume 10 K/s, etc.

or if other then try this

Its possible limiting or splitting the internet bandwidth in to individual parts that is you can divide total amount of your bandwidth on number of PC's you have, so that everybody have equal rights.

There are to many special softwares for doing this. actually for huge & complex networks even there is a special server called ISA (Internet Security Accelerator) , but since yours is home network so you require a simple software . . .

The Below Link, is a windows xp free software which you can use in order to limit bandwidth speed;

you have to install it and then simply create a rule and you have to select the network card, port no, ip address and the amount of bandwidth it can use (This is a measure of the amount of information or data that can be sent over a network connection in a given period of time. Bandwidth is usually measure in bits per second).

the amount of bandwidth of your network depens upon your ISP ( internet Service provider) , so you can kindly contact them and ask them the total amount of the bandwidth they have assigned for your network inter terms of Kbps(kilo bits per second) not KBps(Kilo Byte Per Second).

relation between byte and bit is 8. a byte is 8 bits.

you have to specify the bandwidth limit in terms of bits in below program ;

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/Tra...

for more information about the above software , here is the website.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/...

you can use another software called as netlimitter

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

you will be having both paid and free versions.

all the best with the above 2 solutions . . .

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Oh thank you!But I only want to limit my brother's computer, not mine. And I am using wondershaper, there's not much need for it on my ubuntu system tho.

limiting wireless bandwidth more than router tweaksHow Do I Reduce The Speed Of Internet On Another Computer?I just moved in a roommate... And my bandwidth went to **** after he went on my wireless network. I have my xbox360 connected via Cat-5e and another one connected with regular cat -5. When we run both 360s it is fine and runs great, but once the computer of my roommate gets on the wireless network it makes both of our connections slow, whether or not both of the 360s are on the network or not, it is really slow.I went to the router settings and slowed down the rate of the antenna to its lowest setting, and then changed the rate the beacon transmitted and everything.I get a better connection than before, he hasnt noticed anything or just hasnt said anything yet about it, anyhow what can I do on his computer when he isnt there to limit his connections, if it is registry stuff please tell me how to do so step by step for I am new to this stuff. I also get random disconnects while on my 360 now, would messing with the rate the antenna transmits mess with the regular cable connection on the router?Thanks,and

Upload limiterHow Do I Reduce The Speed Of Internet On Another Computer?

An effective solution to limiting the upload speed when using peer to peer is to use and application called NetBalancerFree. This works with ppstream and windows Vista without crashing. This application is also free. 

This application allows you to specify upload and download limits for individual programs and for all programs.

-reply by Peter

So, I have a STUPID LITTLE BROTHER that likes to watch STUPID CARTOONS on STUPID YOUTUBE.

It's really irritating to browse the net and download stuff while most of your internet speed goes to stupid youtube watcher, especially when I try to download via P2P.

Our internet speed is about 110KB/s, so you can imagine what is happening to me?! :P

I want a way, to limit the speed of the desktop computer to 50KB/s (NOTE: I'm not talking about bits, but bytes).

Is there any free software out there that will run in the background limiting the speed to 50KB/s? Or can I do it in any other way?

I'm not using a wireless router, it's just lan, a dsl modem wired to two computers.

(I'm not evil, I just want for it to be like half for the desktop and a little more than half for me B))

YOU have SOMANY WAYS TO REDUCE THE SPEED.

I will tell you ONE SIMPLE option.

In your system only SETTINGS are there,there is a option for reduce the net speed from 110KB/s to 50KB/s,

But one thing..

When you are using,you have to change it again and again each and every time for speed. :)

I'm not sure if this will help you but the way I control the speed of my modem is:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center (this might be different depending on what operating system you are running)

Click on "Local Area Connection" (Or the connection name to the device you are connected with)

You should see something like this:

Posted Image

Click Properties then click Configure

You can then set the maximum bps rate :)

Posted Image

you could control the internet speed from a certain browser, like firefox. this could be done by downloading an add-on that give you control on that. check this link please http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you should do, is downloading firefox on that laptop, make it the default browser or better delete all other browsers ;) download this add-on and put the download speed you want.and i remember that there is another way but forgot how. when i will remember it, i will post it here.