xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tinoymalayil

How Torrent Files Works?

There are many torrent application Eg.utorrent,bitorrent etc.What is the technology behing this torrent files?

How it works?

Ok. For you to understand the complete theory on torrents, clients and how the protocol itself works, do read the contents in the below link.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bittorrent.htm

But, if you want to understand the practicalities of it, I would suggest that you install a client and download some torrents... :P

Client: u Torrent etc. - This is what I use, but there are so many torrent clients out in the wild. Its up to you to choose one.

Need torrent files: Visit isohunt.com and search for what you want...

One quick way to start out is to download and use the Opera web browswer. Its a good browser and also serves as a bit torrent downloader. That way you don't need to download a specific bit torrent download application.

There are many torrent application Eg.utorrent,bitorrent etc.What is the technology behing this torrent files?How it works?

Torrents are a peer-to-peer technology. The files references in a torrent are hosted by 'seeders' and downloaded by 'leechers'. The location of the seeders is tracked by a 'tracker'. A torrent file indicates to your computer the location of the torrent tracker and identifies the file you want to download.

It breaks the torrent down into hundreds and hundreds of different pieces all of which you can download from any other user in any order. I think this is how it differs to standard P2P technology.I discovered torrents a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. They beat most P2P technology as well because you can see all the files that the torrent contains before you download it, and you can check/uncheck individuals to download or not.

I use utorrent/Bittorrent for downloading torrent. Are you asking that how torrent files work that means how can we download torrent files. Than you must download utorrent/Bittorrent by searching in google and just installed it and than again search what are you looking for e.g Games, Programs, etc.Than first download the torrent file and than open it with utorrent/Bittorrent. Than I think you can download what you have searched in internet through torrent.

Doesn't using bit torrents increase the risk of getting viruses on your computer?

It all depends on the purpose for which you're using torrents for. Most of the people who don't use torrents simply assume that torrents are used for illegal downloads, and hence they pose a risk to your system. But that's not the truth. Torrents are used for the good too.

For example, you may know that Linux distributions are free to download and modify. It is easier and faster to download these distributions using torrents because many people, most of them developers, will be downloading this at the same time. At such times, there is no risk of catching a virus.

Ok, I have some questions too...Does this mean that all the seeders have the exact same copy of whatever the leecher is downloading from them?And does the client match the entire copy or does it just compare the name of the thing?er, depending on the answers, I have other sub-questions too. :)

Edited by Gazeekoo (see edit history)

Yes the seeder has to have the exact same copy.I believe the client has to match the hash (the .torrent file).And kasperooney is completely correct. Most people think that all torrents are illegal, which is an overstatement. Linux is a big name that is out on torrent, and there are some movies that are released exclusively on torrents. Not to mention Nine Inch Nails released a full album high quality on torrents. And a bunch of live show bootlegs get traded via torrents, which is completely legal (filming them however is illegal in some places).