xisto Community
Alex Cicala

How Do I Change The Icon For A Website?

How do I change the icon for a website. Like the little icon next to the url bar in the browser or the bookmark Icon. Example Like the myspace group image that is next to the url bar when browsing Myspace.Yeh so someone please tell me how to change this?

It is called Favicon (Favorite Icon). You can check this post.

You need to add this code inside the head tags.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

If the icon is uploaded to webroot, then you need not add the code, just make sure that it is named "favicon.ico". Usually you need to delete the cache to see the changes. Check that post for more info.
Edited by Staldon (see edit history)

Also, to add something to the previous post, the image must be in an "ico" format.
To convert an existing image to an .ico, use this link or google favicon generator for other available services. Some Image software is also able to save as ico, but not all of them do so.

Also, to add something to the previous post, the image must be in an "ico" format.To convert an existing image to an .ico, use this link or google favicon generator for other available services. Some Image software is also able to save as ico, but not all of them do so.

Ok, thanks for the help. I thought it was something to do with this.

How do I change the icon for a website. Like the little icon next to the url bar in the browser or the bookmark Icon. Example Like the myspace group image that is next to the url bar when browsing Myspace.
Yeh so someone please tell me how to change this?

this is called a "Favicon".
do this, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
and then stick this in the head of your html
<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

Edited by kimochitim (see edit history)

I'm actually using this too change the icon for my IPB but i has worked the same way, thanks for the extra help :P.I was sick of that blue symbol thing. I wanted more customization, now that I have my own domain and what not.

If you place an icon as favicon.ico on the web root, it will automatically be used. The point of the HTML codes suggested by the above posters is to allow for different icons for different portions of a website. You do not need to explicitly write it if you do not need different icons and have access to the directory of the web site root (which you should!)

Just wanted to let you guys know that not only are you helping the original poster out, but guys like me that use the information as well. You all added a little bit to the answer which made it a well rounded answer. Thanks again to all of you, including the original poster.

Change desktop IconHow Do I Change The Icon For A Website?

Default Icon that shown in url can changed easily but I want to made same Icon as my desktop shortcut icon. I am using joomla site. Can any one tell me about this that how I can create same Icon when I make shortcut icon for desktop.

-question by Nirmal

Can favicons be saved locally as a means of marking sites not owned and/or operated by me?How Do I Change The Icon For A Website?

I may be obliviou (having read through and missed the post), but how does one change the favicon for a site that isn't theirs (as a means of organizing my links by picture in addition to text?

Thank you much for any and all assistance.

- Evan

-question by ChiCity