xisto Community
novic_1223

Chosing The Right Os

i am wondering which one i should choose because i have a kinda of up to date computer but i am a gamer and i don't want anything really complicated.i am wondering if i should go with vista but i don't want to have to go through so many complication with everythingi really just want easy access with everything and a good speedcan anyone help me please.-victor-

You don't want complicated things? Then try Windows!For gamers and common users, windows still the best, for who want to know more than just to use application should try learning linux.

I would go with Vista. I am one of the last people to move up to the new platform, but they have finally fixed most(of the big) bugs.It's great for gaming now. But if you have less than 3.5 gb's of ram I would suggest not using the Aero theme.Also keep in mind that the OS itself uses about 512 MB's of ram, so you will most likely need more ram(Unless you're already at 2gb+).I personally have an 8800gt video card and 2 GB of ram with Vista 32 bit, and I have no issues even with the newest games(Like Left4Dead).

i am wondering which one i should choose because i have a kinda of up to date computer but i am a gamer and i don't want anything really complicated.i am wondering if i should go with vista but i don't want to have to go through so many complication with everything
i really just want easy access with everything and a good speed
can anyone help me please.
-victor-

Linux, Windows and Apple are all at the same level of complexity on the desktop, so that should not be an issue. If you are a gamer then you'll need to look at which games will run on which operating systems. Many games work on Windows, some have Apple versions and most work through WINE on Linux.

So, let's cut it down. Apple is out of the question as you don't have a Mac. It becomes a choice between Windows and Linux.

With Windows, especially Vista and newer, you'll need a lot of resources to run it along with games on top at reasonable speeds. At least 4GB of RAM, a 64-bit processor and a new graphics card will all be required. You may also find in the future that you'll need to keep buying new versions of Windows as they come out, as some games will work only with the latest Windows version.

Linux is fast on pretty much any hardware, and the graphics chip vendors are now producing up-to-date drivers for Linux. Just check out the WINE AppsDB to see if your games will run. If they will, go ahead and run Linux.

Linux is good if you don't want to pay for your OS, usually the problem is most of people are used to Windows and some people don't even understand that there can be something different, so if you have Linux and somebody will want to use your computer, a friend or something, he might not find IE or something like that :DI personally am using Vista and OpenSUSE, I started using Vista only about half year back, Home Premium version and to tell the truth it's quite stable and as I have 4 GB of RAM there is no issue with memory for me, I gave virtual memory only 512 MB as I remember, due to some application seems to require Virtual memory, especially games, even though you have plenty of RAM.When I got my laptop with Vista, I removed it and installed XP, XP couldn't handle 4 GB of RAM, due to my architecture is 32 bit, so I only could use 3 GB, same with OpenSUSE, even though it's quite enough for me, XP when loaded takes less than 1 GB, where Vista takes over 1 GB :D So after a while using XP I moved to Vista, better drivers for it on my laptop and everything works, the battery manager, speed up manager and function keys, where on XP they didn't. On Vista I removed some things to fit my needs, I never liked the sidebar and etc. Problem with Vista, is that it can't run some older software, which doesn't seem to work.

Linux, Windows and Apple are all at the same level of complexity on the desktop, so that should not be an issue. If you are a gamer then you'll need to look at which games will run on which operating systems. Many games work on Windows, some have Apple versions and most work through WINE on Linux.

So, let's cut it down. Apple is out of the question as you don't have a Mac. It becomes a choice between Windows and Linux.

With Windows, especially Vista and newer, you'll need a lot of resources to run it along with games on top at reasonable speeds. At least 4GB of RAM, a 64-bit processor and a new graphics card will all be required. You may also find in the future that you'll need to keep buying new versions of Windows as they come out, as some games will work only with the latest Windows version.

Linux is fast on pretty much any hardware, and the graphics chip vendors are now producing up-to-date drivers for Linux. Just check out the WINE AppsDB to see if your games will run. If they will, go ahead and run Linux.

The only thing that is holding me back from Linux is the lack of gaming support. Most of the newer games that I play are not supported.

And some that used to be went through updates that made them incompatible(even with WINE).

It seems like there are some companies purposely making their software not work with WINE, because they work one day and only one small patch later they don't work at all.

If Linux ever finds a way to support all the newer Windows games I'm there, :D

i am wondering which one i should choose because i have a kinda of up to date computer but i am a gamer and i don't want anything really complicated.i am wondering if i should go with vista but i don't want to have to go through so many complication with everything
-victor-

Just by looking at the title of the topic, I was excited thinking that I have got an interesting topic to vent out my Linux/ Windows gyan... but after reading your post, got disappointed. Just kidding. Meaning, you were very specific in what you want and that makes my work simpler.

Your whole objective is to play games. So linux/ mac is out pf question. Most atleast many of the exciting games are available only for the windows operating system. Only very few games have support for other operating systems. So you have to stick with Bill Gates.

Now lets get into the actual discussion of which OS to go within Windows.

Vista is totally out of question, though I have used it for some time and it worked perfectly fine.. but still it required some tweaking from time to time...
And the next best solution is windows XP and I think it is one of the most stable OS ever... The older versions like Windows 2000 is also good... But XP is the best choice. Lets also hope that the latest OS will be equally good....

Windows -> Xp should be your ideal choice.

It depends on what are your needs. Apple is good if you're into creative works as most of the science and creative filed applications are for apple. Again people can argue on this point. Windows is the way to go when you've to simple web surfing, word processor tasks and other stuff that included development/creativity and other stuff. These days windows is dominant because of large userbase in gaming and general applications. Decide based on what is available and is possible to share among your fammily and friends and school/work, then based on that you can choose OS.Oh if you want to try multiple OS then VMware or Microsoft virtual PC, and other linux based virtual machine software can be useful for you.

It depends on what are your needs. Apple is good if you're into creative works as most of the science and creative filed applications are for apple. Again people can argue on this point.
Windows is the way to go when you've to simple web surfing, word processor tasks and other stuff that included development/creativity and other stuff. These days windows is dominant because of large userbase in gaming and general applications.

Decide based on what is available and is possible to share among your fammily and friends and school/work, then based on that you can choose OS.

Oh if you want to try multiple OS then VMware or Microsoft virtual PC, and other linux based virtual machine software can be useful for you.

On the note of running virtual machines, would running Windows XP under something like Ubuntu be fine for gaming?

My reason for asking is that when I run Linux machines under XP, the Linux system is pretty slow and laggy. But I'm assuming that is just because Windows has horrible ram/cpu management and rolling XP through Linux would be better?

I'm a newb to Linux really, but I've heard too many positive things to write it off. I would love a system that I can use for all of my normal things and then a way to play games(I would use the Virtual Machine solely for running XP during game times).

I considered dual booting but I do not want to reboot everytime I go from a game to normal computing and back again. It would just be too much of a hassle.

On the note of running virtual machines, would running Windows XP under something like Ubuntu be fine for gaming?

My reason for asking is that when I run Linux machines under XP, the Linux system is pretty slow and laggy. But I'm assuming that is just because Windows has horrible ram/cpu management and rolling XP through Linux would be better?

I'm a newb to Linux really, but I've heard too many positive things to write it off. I would love a system that I can use for all of my normal things and then a way to play games(I would use the Virtual Machine solely for running XP during game times).

I considered dual booting but I do not want to reboot everytime I go from a game to normal computing and back again. It would just be too much of a hassle.

There was a YouTube video i came across a long time ago which showed Windows XP running on top of Linux. It ran Windows XP in its own window. You don't catch a good glimpse of it until about 47 seconds into the video, but you see more of it later on in the video (about a little over a minute into the video). I'm not certain how they managed to pull off such a thing, but i've seen some complex Ubuntu documentation on the subject that may have you achieve the same thing (although the user is running Fedora). As you can see in the video, the performance appears to be pretty good for the tasks they're performing. However, since they didn't show a game playing, it is uncertain how it would affect performance, but if even those tasks perform well, then perhaps so should the games, especially if you have a multi-core processor.

By "on top" I think you just mean virtual machined? I mean, with VM you can make your other OS full screen as well. I used to do that on my PC here.. I would run XP with Linux in a virtual machine on it, and when I wanted to mess w/ Linux I would make it full screen(alt + shift I think, or something like that) and it would make it look as if Linux is the only OS even on the pc.

By "on top" I think you just mean virtual machined? I mean, with VM you can make your other OS full screen as well. I used to do that on my PC here.. I would run XP with Linux in a virtual machine on it, and when I wanted to mess w/ Linux I would make it full screen(alt + shift I think, or something like that) and it would make it look as if Linux is the only OS even on the pc.

Right, the person was using VirtualBox. However, he didn't full-screen the program, Windows was still running in its own window, but the window was made to appear like it wasn't VirtualBox but as if Windows was its own separate process.

Well vista is crappy one it comes to gaming mostly the display drivers make it fail, Also when it comes to vista speed is not the best unless you have 3gb or more! I found XP works very well on new and OLD laptops I have a laptop now and its about 4 years old and runs XP on there it runs so FAST!!!

XP is what you will need in my opion.