xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

We MUST stop Comcast Comcast Sets Monthly Bandwidth Limit For Customers

I don't have a limit that I know of, but my download speeds are capped according to your plans, which are hell of an annoying process, because when they say maximum speeds they just mean 1/10 of the total speed, I am planning on moving to FIOS anyway. I think that it doesn't really matter if they cap it or not because your BandWith is in their hands, as you have paid for it, but you have signed their contract, and they can provide the services according to the contract. It may not be good business ethics, but if you use too much the other users have major problems, and then the business goes down in flames. Limiting bandwith is a step taken to prevent it. I have only seen it only non-American or non-European Countries, such as China and India, not much else, well since they have just moved to broadband they need to limit it to certain levels.

I personally do not use Comcast. I had some really bad experiences with them, and I will never choose them as a provider for phone, cable, internet or w/e the hell they offer. Their customer service was awful, and it took them 2 days just to come and fix the problem we had with their internet service. Since then we have moved to a local ccompany and have been more then satistified with their services.

I personally do not use Comcast. I had some really bad experiences with them, and I will never choose them as a provider for phone, cable, internet or w/e the hell they offer. Their customer service was awful, and it took them 2 days just to come and fix the problem we had with their internet service. Since then we have moved to a local ccompany and have been more then satistified with their services.

Only 2 days,... that's not an awful customer service, last time I had problem with my ISP it took them more than 4 or 5 x72hs terms (like 13 days). Unfortunately, where I live this was the only Internet provider that we could use, they are practically monopolizing the service at this zone. They came, finally, when we were about to give up the service. We had to call back to tell them to not -finally- remove us. Hell, that's a bad customer service. It wasn't really the last time, the last time at least took only 1 week for them to fix, they didn't have to come anyway, though.

I disagree with limiting at all. Their justification is always the same : it's to prevent illegal downloading. But what still happens? Illegal downloads.I think the truth behind it is just that they want to add more revenue to their pockets. Bandwidth cost money, which is fact. So by limiting your bandwidth they are also allowing themselves not need to buy as much every month(or however they get it).Really I think what they should do instead is do a cost per GB of bandwidth. This way everyone makes it out great. For example,1-20 GB a month = $2020-25 GB a month = 2325-30 GB a month = 25And on and on.Then they would make more money as you use more bandwidth, and you would also feel happier knowing that there is no cap.

I have been censored;

my rights have been violated;

my freedom of speech has been restricted;

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT;

yours will be too!

Being a bit melodramatic there aren't you? Your rights in no way shape or form have been altered or infringed upon by business practices at Comcast. There is no one preventing you from switching to another provider of internet service. Not a single person has prevented you from expressing an idea or opinion as evidenced by your post. Perhaps the above was typed tongue in cheek but really unless i missed something in constitutional law there is niothing in the US constitution that gaurantees unlimited internet access.

I would be far more concerend about the "stimulus" bill that tries to back door "Net nutrality" into law.

Comcast Censoring Conservative Voices?We MUST stop Comcast

The American Public and the FCC need to keep an eye on ISPs. ComcastHas been censoring conservative message board posters in my opinion.Because dominant ISP Comcast is a gateway to the internet, they controlMany eyeballs. Comcast's systematic censoring of conservative opinionsOn their News & Current Events message boards needs to cease andDesist. If Comcast gets tax breaks from local government, then theyHave a civic, ethical, moral and perhaps legal obligation to provideFair and balanced moderation of their message boards. This type ofSocial engineering is an outrage. Please get involved. Silence isConsent. Post a conservative response to a News or Current EventsThread here and see for yourself.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account-Sign-In-Xfinity/NOTICE-The-XFINITY-Community-Forums-will-close-in-the-middle-of/td-p/1117567

This is America...Not CHINA

-reply by skillsss

Just to make you aware, I don't believe that business class customers are held to the 250 gb cap. I looked into it awhile ago and it wasn't that much more expensive but you had to sign a contract and there was a pretty steep penalty for early termination. If you find that you're actually using the full 250, then setting up a business account might be the best temporary answer for you. 

-reply by Noah

Well, I do not agree with assertions that "rights" have been trampled by Comcast.It is a service which you pay for, or not. The problem is, they're the "only game in town" wherever they are. They are indeed left-wing; only look to NBC and GE to see who's pulling that puppet's strings. Wait until they become an official tool of the FCC.What grinds my gears about them though is their outright dishonesty in their market operation.Before the Digital Transition, they swore up and down through commercials on every channel that "if you are connected to the cable with an analog TV, YOU WON'T HAVE TO DO A THING! We're not changing anything!!! You'll still get all your cable channels!!!"6 weeks after the transition, and NTSC broadcast over-air had ceased, Commie-cast announces that all your cable channels are now going away. Going digital. And not the over-air-convert-analog-to-digital kind either; you need their special proprietary decoder box. :P What a big lie. Of course, now on legal shared connections, you cannot get another box without buying it. (3 boxes max per subscriber)]So if you have more than 3 TVs, or are in a boardinghouse/apartment shared "free cable" arrangement, you're screwed.What a scam.As I fall into the above category, all I get now is Jerry Springer and endless infomercials on the few broadcast channels they left, the very ones you can get anyway over-air....and CSPAN & Weather Channel. Yay.

"Bandwidth is a commodity and as a commodity the cost of bandwidth is increasing."This is not True. Time Warner just told its shareholders that profits increased because bandwidth costs decreased.-reply by 2guest

Comcast limits

We MUST stop Comcast

While I don't believe that everyone has a right to unfettered internet access or high speed, or limitless access, etc, I do believe that you have a right to receive what was advertized when you signed up for the service.  If Comcast is advertizing 20Mbit speeds (or whatever), they shouldn't cut you off when you just use 10% of that bandwidth 24/.   Calculating 20Mbit for 30days straight comes to 6328GB.  I was cut off for using 400GB, not because I had used 400GB, but because I was the top .1% in some survey they did.  They did connect me back up after some arguing, but explained that if I was in the top .1% again, I would loose my service for a year.  I asked them if there was a faster service I could purchase where this would not be a problem and they said no.  I pay roughly $65/month for internet right now for Comcast's fastest.  I backed off for a few months, and tried not to go over 200GB/month, but the scare wore off.  I have used far more than that recently, without getting disconnected.  If I get cut off, I'll switch to something else.  I'm not worried about it.   BTW, for a look into screwy limits, check out 1and1.  I have had some DVD iso files up on a site intensegrid.com.

Recently(I don't know how long) they started messing with the large DVD iso files.  Though the files show 4.?GB when I ssh in, and the md5sums are correct, but try to download them from the page, and you get 181MB for one, 144MB for another.   Now that is screwy.
My concluding point.  I have no problems with bandwidth limits as long as they are agreed to ahead of time, and there isn't some expensive penalty to pay for unwittengly going over like the cell phone preditors do.  Just put out thee in SIMPLE terms what you will provide for what money, and stock to it.  Don't just arbitrarily set limits after you become a customer, and don't change the terms of the contract once in effect.

-reply by First Last

best way to get comcast to do what you want them to - call the executive office of their chairman with your complaints. Google "Comcast 10K report" and on the cover will be the number. 8 months ago switched to fios and love it. When I tried to leave comcast they tried to get us return a router we never rented from them - then tried to get us to pay to replace it. I hate comcast.

Well as far as Internet speed and access the US is like 25 on a list of 100. How is that possible. I mean, we invented the internet and yet we suck at giving our people the right to access it. Comcast has the right as a business to limit the services they offer. Free enterprise. You are not forced to use their service, if you don't like it, leave and get something else. The problem is, there is no their service like that offer in a lot of cities in the US. You chooses usually wind up consisting of, Cable, DSL, FIOS, MYFI, Dialup, or Satellite. Cable of course being the better offer of any of them.Honestly I believe that the internet should be high speed, unmetered and free to everyone. However, again due to free enterprise, it never will be. Greedy people want want they want, and they want more money. And if you have to pay for a service, you had better believe you ARE going to pay for it.Comcast is metered their bandwidth because they say it's for thebenefit of everyone else. Same reason the the FCC supposedly metered the MyFi connection to 5 gig limits. Which is a bunch of BS because, you can go over that limit, you just have to pay out the wazoo for it. If it were truly limited, then it would stop at 5 gigs.