xisto Community
Tramposch

Copy And Paste Comes To The Iphone

If you have an iPhone and really would like copy and paste, you are in luck. While it will need to be jailbroken, you can get a 3rd party application that provides incredibly copy and paste features. From legit highlighting to a clipboard stack, Clippy provides it all.

The application is still in beta, however, it is quite stable. I have not crashed because of it, and it is quite sleek and you barely even notice it, unless you need it of course. The best part of it all is it is system wide. That means if you have some text in Safari you would like to copy to an email, just highlight it in the text box and select copy. It is really that simple.

The menu is located in the second tab of the keyboard, with all the numbers and special characters (bottom right) . It is located on top of all that, quite noticeably, but transparent and can be closed, so it is a nuisance. There are four buttons on it: Copy, Paste, Stack, and Close. Copy will copy the highlighted text, paste pastes the most recent copied text (bottom left), stack opens a log of copied items where you can select one to be pasted (bottom center), and close closes the bar, which is useful if it is in your way for navigating through a text box. If you do close it, you can re-open it by simply going to the keyboard, then the number page again.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A downside, however, is you cannot copy for a website or email; it has to be in the text box for typing. If you want to copy something from an email, you need to hit reply (or forward) and select it and press copy. That feature will hopefully be added in a later release.

Double click a text, then either edit it or continue.

You can, however, copy a text message by double tapping it (on the left). This brings up a pop up that displays the copied text, then allows you to continue or edit it to just the text you need.

Since I found this app in the Cydia installer, there have been huge improvements, especially with the UI. Huge compliments to its developer, Ryan Petrich.

Overall, this is by far the best C&P app for the iPhone out so far. And seeing as Apple has yet to add the feature to the iPhone, definitely check this out. You will, of course, need a jailbroken iPhone and the iSpazio repository added (usually in there by default).

Link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That's a pretty good app. Is it also for the Zibri, jailbreaker also? My iPod touch needs a copy and paste app, since I actually use it more than my laptop itself, for writing quick things, especially since I have WiFi all over, my town and in the City. Any other problems that the app has had? If it gets to a stable version, most likely it will be released in the app store, I don't think Apple really wants to install copy and paste yet, because they need a boatload of new features, to get people from going away from the new release. The 3G did well because of the new internet capabilities.

As long as it is jailbroken and either Install.app or the Cydia installer you have the iSpazio repository added (I believe it is in both by default). Just search for Clippy and it will most likely be the only result. This release is pretty stable, but I can't create every possible scenario so I don't know if it is completely stable. But so far it is great. I would check it out because it works well and if you really need it, its a good idea to have it.

If it gets to a stable version, most likely it will be released in the app store

Copy and paste would require running something in the background constantly to keep track of the clipboard and pass that information on to the current application. At the moment apple does not allow applications to be running in the background which means it would be impossible for this app to be a legit App Store application until Apple comes out with a software version and SDK with more power to the developers.

I don't think Apple really wants to install copy and paste yet, because they need a boatload of new features, to get people from going away from the new release.

That's certainly not true because whatever software updates any supposed "new iPhone" comes with will be a free update for existing iPhone users. I think apple hasn't implemented copy and paste because they want the lest amount of background apps running to save battery.

just wondering... is "copy and paste" generally not available on mobile systems like, say, those running Windows Mobile? I have never used one but thinking of buying sooner or later and well that is a pretty basic and useful feature if you are used to a desktop environment...

cut and paste huh? in so many ways that could lead to a lot of problems I think. I mean say someone is talking to another and they say something, then the other could cute and paste it to sound like that said something totally differnt. I am not saying anyone would do that but that idea would come to mind for some. Sorry to some of you but we all know how some kids can be so childish sometimes, and honestly there some adults that could be the same way.

OH yea but bad outcome,iphone is truly expensive, and people here posting for a free hosting in Xisto have no chance to afford one if the monthly price is around 2 dollars for web hosting.

OH yea but bad outcome,iphone is truly expensive, and people here posting for a free hosting in Xisto have no chance to afford one if the monthly price is around 2 dollars for web hosting.

Unless of course the member is like me and only posts here to be a part of the community and not for the free web hosting. And also, like me, has a job and can afford to pay for his or her own ATT data plan...
Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

Unless of course the member is like me and only posts here to be a part of the community and not for the free web hosting. And also, like me, has a job and can afford to pay for his or her own ATT data plan...

Yea, that is me too. I can easily afford the $11/mo just for the hosting, then the addition $11/mo for the media server, and the $10/mo for the additions. It is a nice feature to be able to use myCENTs, and it is easy on my wallet, but isn't necessary. I really just like being part of an active community with cool topics.

However, to those who think C&P is a dumb idea for a mobile phone, look at it this way: a smart phone is just like a computer, but with less power. How much would it suck if you didn't have C&P on your computer? It is useful. @EOT Yes, you could do that. However, you can also copy emails, IMs, and a multitude of other things on your computer. What is the difference?

C&P is a productivity enhancer. Without it, you would be doing a lot of repetitive typing.

people may think I is spam but honetly the above? So very True.

@EOT Yes, you could do that. However, you can also copy emails, IMs, and a multitude of other things on your computer. What is the difference?

And there is no Difference at all Tramp. I was only saying that would give some the idea. yes I also know you can do all that with E mails IMs and heck even here in the forum if you wanna get right down too it. All I was stating was it would give the

quote idea unquote

Edited by Echo_of_thunder (see edit history)

Copy and paste from websites tooCopy And Paste Comes To The Iphone

If it will let you copy and paste from a textbox in safari then my site http://mobitol.com/ should work for copying and pasting the text from websites. It pops the text of a site into a text box.I built it so I could use it on my nokia, but I'd be interested to hear if it works for you.-reply by Cousin Isaac

The copy and paste feature is not a new thing. Nokia in one of its models in way back 1998 produced models that allowed copy paste feature in the SMS program. There is not so many functions then but was a great feature to have, especially when smsing was to be done fast.Now a days even the text gets typed in your mobile phone as you speak. Speech recognition programs are available with lesser degree of accuracy. No wonder Nokia is a pioneer in such achievements.

That's nothing new for the mobile market, because as buxgoddess said, almost all Nokias have this 'feature' which shouldn't be called a feature but a standard.Apple is just plain dumb to not include this from the start. Nope sir, eye candy is more important for them than just some features that oh, every other frickin' phone in the world has.