xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zeyomie

Hiring Felons What is so wrong with it?

past doesnHiring Felons

Just because someone has been found guilty of a crime doesn't mean that person will commit more crimes. There are millions of people working jobs at the moment without felonies and steal from their company or someone else, yet they have a job. Plus many of the crimes people are convicted of are the product of plea bargins. The real reason why compaines won't hire is because the insurance carrier will charge them an outragous premium. It really has less to do with," well you want to be an accountant but you were charged with fraud", and more to do with insurance compaines choking out the private sector. It is shamful and prevents people from overcoming their past and somewhat redeeming themselves. Also -where are the stats on hired felons stealing from the company that hired them? What is the difference if one hires a felon and they steal or another employee steals that doesn't have a felony? They get caught they both go to jail. Most people looking for work aren't planning some heist at the job they are applying for anyway. They just want to work.

-reply by anthony

I feel your pain. Hiring Felons

Hi Depressed.  I know exactly how you feel, for I am going through a similar hardship.  Back in 2006, my one twin son died in my arms at 3 years old.  I didn't handle it well.  I opened up a credit card in my Mom's name and was buying things that made my yard look like a cemetary.  My Mom turned me into the police.  She regrets turning me in.  She, nor I, realized that I would not be able to get a job after this.  I had to move back home with my Mom and my other autistic son.  Before my record, I was working in the healthcare industry, but had to resign there due to needing to stay at home to take care of my son.  After my felony conviction, I started working at a cleaning place.  I was working at a drug rehab.  I received a call one morning, before I went into work.  It was my employer.  He told me that I would have to turn in my badge, due to the police report.  I CAN'T EVEN CLEAN TOILETS!  HOW PATHETIC!  I have never done anything illegal before this.  I just want to move on with my life and pay back what I owe, but that is going to be impossible!  What angered me even more is when my probation officer sent me job listings from snagajob.Com, for cashiers positions at that!  I don't know what world she is living in!  Felons would never get hired for a cashier job, especially when I have theft on my record!  Felons need to be reintegrated back into society.  The justice system wonders why crime will continue to get worse?  If they would give felons a second chance, they would definitely see a reduction in crime.  

-reply by Depressed Felon

Hi!I'm not really sure how the law can prevent discrimination against ex-convicts. When interviewing candidates for a job and performing background checks, the management can always say that they see a little something in another candidate and they do not really have an obligation to respond honestly to the question, "Why did you not hire that guy?" Perhaps one way to get around the problem is to have organizations that provide background checks of employees of their clients obtain information from a central database that is cleared of old entries so beyond a year or two, the conviction can be wiped out of the system. Refusing employment to an ex-convict who was convicted seven years ago is pretty much the equivalent of forcing them back into a life of crime, except that this time it is because they have no one else to turn to for employment.

i am a otr driver with a felony,i got it in 1996 moved to arkansas and as been driving for 13 years got let go from my last job and now i havent been able to get a job be cause of the new home land crap.i got a possession charge and have been clean sence 1996 havent been arrested sence and cant get a job wthats up with that

I am a woman and a felon. I got four felonies at the same time due to giving someone a ride home and my ignorance of the justice system. I do beleive that there should be many negatives that go along with breaking the law in order to help enforce it. Being a felon myself I know first hand how hard it is to find a job where you can earn enough to take care of yourself much less pay back the massive amonut of money that you are required to pay. Not to mention the classes, meetings and appointments you have to make that can interfere with a regular work schedule. The hardest part for me is finding suitable housing. Being a female I am not comfortable in most areas that accept felons. It is the price you pay and life isnt fair. I do beleive everything happens for a reason and in reality most of us have it pretty good considering what some people must endure. Count your blessings. Hold you head up and try to do the right thing. Everything will fall in to place if you keep trying and a positive attitude.

This is a pretty tough decision for me. Some people *do* turn their lives around but most do not. Even a lot that "do" end up returning to their old ways after a while.For me it would be a huge trust issue. It would be based on whether or not *I* feel you should be trusted again. For this I would not make an instant decision; it would require a lot of thought and time viewing your actions, responses to actions, responses during an interview, etc.I get that some people change but the overall majority of the people who are locked up for severe crimes (such as felonies) commit more crimes when they are released.I do have a lot of respect for those few that *do* end up completely changing their ways and never returning to the old ones. I know it takes a lot of work and dedication, especially with the problems you face with society. But at the same time -- you made your own decisions. Nobody forced you to go commit these crimes; you did it on your own.

REALLY!Hiring FelonsLadies & Gentlemen, let s get real. If we are going to scrutinize people and turn them down for jobs; based on morals and ethics. And based on what they did in the past. Then perhaps we should put it all on the table. If it is fair to question a persons integrity or honesty based on a (non-violent) felony conviction . Then it would also be fair to question the honesty and integrity of people whove been divorced for cheating on their spouse? But things like that are not issues to the people in the HRHumm! If he, or she cant even be honest with the person they claim to love, then why in the hell would we think they would be honest at work dealing with strangers? REALLY! Or, how about the minor offenses simple assault sounds minor; He just choked his wife, he didnt kill her REALLY! Or, she threw a knife at him, but it didnt really hit him REALLY! Or, how about the one we all know at work, who drinks way too much, way too often. Its like taboo to take these things into consideration. Why; because a lot of upper managers fit into this criteria? Perhaps! Im just saying that if you look deeper into a lot of these minor offenses, you will see that many could have or should have been felonies if it were not for Lawyers! If we put it all out there, many people would lose the jobs they now have. The bottom line is that we should look at who a person is today; what kind of experience and knowledge do they possess today; and what kind of felony they were convicted of. Because honestly, the main people stealing and under cutting the employer often times tends to be the one they thought wouldnt do anything like thatREALLY!-reply by Kevin Anderson

As the mother of an ex convict...I can pretty much agree with this....also as an ex law enforcement significant other for the sum of 10 yrs....I can easily say....what's the difference in the two? My son got involved with gangs....my ex was a member of a gang Los Angeles Sheriffs Department/LASD.....my son got caught did his time...now 21, my ex has been in LASD for the past 27 yrs and will get a good retirement....while my son has a hard time even finding a job....my ex cheated on his ex wife and me...and Drinks and drives...and I've gotten pulled over with him and when they seen who he was...he gets the high five....in his history of being a deputy I've heard accounts when he's hit women...and doesn't even get questioned, maybe it's that where he learned to be such a good liar, and through my 10 years with this man I've heard of so many other deputies that have done unspeakable but they just chalk it up for another notch on their gun belt vs an ex con that has to show their background and get scrutinized for it....I've read some of these posts about ex felons that want to be in a profession that helps society but they won't let them....because of his past...the training he got in prison in fire fighting has given him the desire to fight fires for our country, state, or county...but they won't allow him because of his past....where is the integrity of this so called great place we are supposed to be at.....not to expect any sympathy for my son's situation....he has already paid his debt...now can he be productive and live a normal life? I've never shown my children to give up...but if my son keeps hitting with these set backs...who really is to blame for repeat offenders?

I understand that there is no law abiding citizen that wants to work with an ex felon. But what you all fail to realize is we weren't always ex felons. So answer me this would you rather see a felons mark. Or work next to an unlabeled person. You don't really know what he has or hasn't done. At least with a felony mark you know who your dealing with. And since there is such discrimination, tell me why they call prison rehabilitation. And why on a persons way out of prison they school us that we can become productive citizens. And society is so shocked when felons violate again and again. And so to conclude, I say anybody with any felony conviction should get the death penalty. If we are not expected to live in society why release us. And why lock anybody up for life. It only helps the government not society.

This really irks me, I have several friends, and even some family members who are felons. They've made their mistakes and have paid their debt to society. But they are not able to get respectable employment, It seems these days the only places that will hire felons are fast food joints. Most of them that I know have resorted to running their own businesses because people refuse to hire them because of their background. At least those who don't work at McDonalds or Waterburger.
Employers are not supposed to discriminate against felons, just like anyone else. But I guarantee you, you have a felon apply for a job, and someone who is less qualified apply for the same job. That less qualified person will be hired well before the felon is even considered. I know too many people who are GOOD PEOPLE that are discriminated against because of their background.

Even when it comes to those who own their own businesses. Should someones background really be taken that much into consideration when choosing them to do your work? Say you want a landscaper to design your yard. His price is reasonable, and he's more then qualified with many years experience, has references, and is known for being honest and doing quality work. Would you hire him if say he was a past sex offender or thief? He's obviously trying to make a life for himself by doing honest hard work, and has learned from his mistakes, or could even have been wrongly accused and still did the time for it, you really wouldn't know. Would you hire him over someone who was less experienced, with higher prices, and fewer references, but had a clean record?

I am a felon, and after doing my time was given a chance by a company who did not check my background until much later. I was handling thousands of dollars in cash and at the end of the year totaled 1.2 mill. I left that job do to a family member who was sick with another company doing the same thing. They did not check my background since I was working for another company just like their's and after six months they did the background and that is when the problems started. I was terminated after a year almost to the day and have not been able to find work since. I have allied at companies like Wal-mart, Sonic, AT&T and every time denied and right after the background comes back. They do not take into account that it has been over 20 years all most 30 now, but I and now not able to support my family about to be put out on the streets with no were to go. Not only am I being discriminated against but my wife and kids also because I can't provide for them. So much for a country were you are free to live free. Just about all of the founding people of this country were felons. check it out I have. It's sad what we are doing to our own people.

I can't believe how hipocritical people are.http://www.nij.gov/journals/263/pages/redemption.aspx This is a link to a study done by the Institute of Justice that shows just how so.For certain first time offenses it show that after 4 years of the commission and completion of sentence the offender is no more likely to recommitt than the general population and even less so after that point.This makes the negligent hiring issue a mute point.Ignoring this fact is socially irresponsible causing recidivism and rising crime rates.600,000 prisoners are released annually they are unable to find work because of background checks.It has not been that they have been able to access this information more easily,it has been an attitude change that has came with it.Why would anyone feel more safe knowing that released prisoners are roaming the streets unable to find work and growing more desperate the longer that this is happening.What right does a community have to inflict more punishment on someone that has went through your system and been deemed rehabilitated before release.I am a 44 year old man that was convicted of a burglary at 18.Imediately after I had no problem getting a job in the very same community that I hurt.Infact they helped me and my life has been somewhat normal until the last few years and after all this time of being a pretty solid citizen and owning business's and homes.I am now in a situation where I cannot find a job or even live in a crappy apartment in a bad neiborhood.I have had to resort to living in a camp trailer and staying in rv parks but even they are background checking people and excluding them.Another observation is that bad people with access to information about you gives them leverage to exploit you.If you have a criminal record tends to gives justification to others to steal from you since who's gonna believe you over them.I am a better person than you are and I have proved it.