xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zeyomie

Hiring Felons What is so wrong with it?

If a person has not comitted a crime in 15 years after a felony conviction, then this is a clear indication that they have learned their lesson and have changed their life for the better, I do believe that they should be aloud to have a normal life including  a decent job,and their record should be sealed, (excluding) rape, murder, child, sexual or gun related crimes. If the felony was comitted under a drug or drinking dependency and they have been threw treatment and are now clean the record should be sealed, if they ever comitt that crime again then the record should be reopened for the remainder of their life. There are also crimes that before were not a felony, but now have been upgraded to a felony, so because you did it and was not a felony and I did it and was charged with a felont should be looked at closely. Now an employer wont hire a felon because they are afriad of theft or what ever, but how many people have they hired that had a clean record who have stolen or hurt the business, (let me give you a good example)ENRON. So this excuse from any employer is invalid, just because they had nothing on their record does not mean that they have never comitted a crime, it just means that they did not get caught, so to all of you employers ANYBODY CAN BE A RISK. Just so you all know I am a convicted felon, I was charged with two counts of buglary no gun both times was very drunk, I am guilty as hell, pled guilty did the time, have been in and finished drug and drinking programs, I live a very clean and law abideing life today, I have had done everything the state has asked me to do, have one speeding ticket in15years. I can not make a decent living for my family, at this time I am out of work and cant get  a job even at Wal-Mart. I invite all of your comments, you wont hurt my feelings, It's too late for that

-reply by middle ground

Speeding and DUI, there are also laws on these issues as well, so if you get a speeding ticket or DUI, would it not also be fair to say that you could never again be trusted to drive, I maen after all you knew the laws you chose to speed or get a DUI you had your chance, and you blew it, and that you will not change you will always resort back to speeding or another DUI, so there for discrimination should be used in determining weather you ever drive again, same opinion just a different law. 

-reply by middle ground

Well it me its all about trust and reliability and of course depending on the crime they committed as well. I highly doubt you want a known drug user/abuser running a store where they have access to cash, the same with those who committed sex crimes you wouldn't want them baby sitting your children either. Sadly society has labeled these criminals as outcast and because of that most of these criminals are most likely to relapse and commit criminal activity as well. Granted most of them know what they did long and can begin a somewhat normal life, and of course they also led that straight life as well. However, the problem is that once gossip starts spreading it doesn't take long to mess up a person mind and start being accused of stuff they never did.Of course, look at computer hackers, some of the worse computer criminals are giving jobs in legit companies after being outed and somehow they escape the law and that again shows you how mess up the system really is.Either it depends on two things, what is the crime they committed and how many times have they done it, if they are a high risk then its not worth the risk of hiring them and letting them work for you.

My fiancee has been job hunting for a year and a half.  We both were laid off around the same time in Jan. 2008.  He is a convicted felon and I am not.  After sending out countless resumes for the both of us I landed a job at the university in March 2008.  It is now May 2009 and he is still out of work and we are both applying for jobs for him.  This has been so hard on us both.  His background is warehouse labor and he is a certified forklift operator.  He has an interview Monday with an agency we will see how it turns out.  If it doesn't pan out I told him to go back to school and let the government pay for it.  Btw, I had his RAP sheet pulled because I wanted to see his arrests and convictions.  He has one felony conviction out of state in 1995 and a misdemeanor in state, both are drug possession convictions.  He also has quite a few arrests but no convictions.  We don't lie on his applications with the price of gas and one income no need to make blank trips.  If a company wants to interview after going over his application then that's a plus they know already.  I haven't given up on him just our society.  In the bible no sin is greater than the other and when you are trying to get a job no felony conviction is greater than the other. 

I have read some of these forums and for some people to sit back and comment that a convicted felon should never get a job or keep them in jail for life.  I only have to say I hope you never find yourself in their situation.  Just because you have never been arrested doesn't mean you aren't a criminal.  You were probably the fortunate one to never have been caught.  Sit back and take a long look at your past and your present then ask yourself, Am I a criminal?

To all the convicted felons past and present don't give up on your job search eventually that door will open for you.

-reply by somewhere in florida

I agree with you, if you commit a crime and serve your time that's all you can do about it. Jobs are not allowed to discriminate, because if you are released back out in the public, than you have proven not to be a danger to society.

background chex are civil liberty violationsHiring FelonsReplying to lonebyrd not to mention the fact that as a felon that can not vote, you have no say in who goes to office, and therefore your taxes equal extortion. Why should I pay your taxes if I can not vote. I am a felon, but was able to obtain a minimum wage job as a security guard. Funny thing though domestic relations takes EVERY DOLLAR THE GOVERNMENT LEAVES. That is no lie welcome to america people. -reply by kenny

I am a 28 yr old female. When I was 25 I made some very poor choices and ended up with a felony charge of forgery, for $350 . It was all becausemy roommate let mepay at walmart with her check, when her husband(an over the road truck driver) found the bank statement he threw a fit and she blamed it on me, he pressed charges on me for theft of check, she was with me at walmart,,, well when she tried to drop the charges the great state of texas and her husband refused to let it go, soi spent 8 months in jail, now 3 years later I have put inhundreds of apps and I can not get a job for anything, I know it is because of the felony, I am not a bad person, I was young and nieve, I attend church 2 times a week and I am s mother of 3 now, But all employers see is the word  FELONY ...And they government wonders why there are so many "REPEAT OFFENDERS" . They have no choice,the judgemental people in this country wont give them a second chance,

i am a felonHiring Felons

hi, as a convicted felon I have personal feelings on this subject. How long is long enough for the past to be the past? When I was 20 yrs old I was in a huge divorce and custody battle and was not allowed to see my daugter (which is the love of my life). Instead of doing the right thing, I did start drinking and getting into trouble. I was arrested for credit card fraud (did not steal it, but later found out the friend I was with had and since I used it too, I got in trouble). With no money to hire a good lawyer to fight, I ended up pleading guilty and accepted my punishment. I did my time and came back into society ready to live the right way. Now people can say what they want, but that conviction cost me more than you can imagine. Thanks to my own stupidity...My ex wife got to use that conviction to take my daughter and keep me from seeing her. I spent 5 years fighting just for the right to see my daughter at least 1 day a week without a hope. When she turned 6 I had to make a choice of what was the best for her and I allowed my ex's new husband to adopt her. Now at this point my record had kept me from gaining any type of decent job so I ended up in the construction field. I started my own company and spent the past 15 years running it. Since the housing market has crashed, I now find myself looking for employment. At one point about 10 years ago I did find a part time job at a convenience store to supplement my income. One night money came up missing. I was arrested for the crime...Although I hadn't even been in the store the night of the incident. I went to court and had my witnesses ready to testify, but since I had a felony record (which is why I was accused in the first place), I couldn't get a fair trial and instead of gambling on a 50/50 chance of a conviction, agreed to plea bargain it and let it go. Now I'm not happy I did it, but there aren't too many options for people with records. Now I'm back in the job market and it is almost impossible for me to find a job. I am 38 years old with great references (both personal and professional), and a clean record for the past 11 years. The felony was 18 years ago and the last thing on my record is the plea bargain I accepted. Now how long do I have to pay for past mistakes? I am an honest man. I don't steal, I work hard, I'm intelligent, and very loyal...But nobody is willing to take a risk on me due to my past. I have now finally met my daughter after 17 years and we have a great relationship, but how do I explain why I can't afford to take her to a movie or dinner because I can't find a job? she knows about my past and what I have done...And she is willing to accept me, but as a father and a human being...It is becoming extremely depressing to think that I may never be able to find a job. I am now relying on a small amount of money I get for babysitting. So before anyone tries to talk about this...Put yourself in the other persons shoes and ask what you would do. Yes I could go and start committing crimes to survive, but that isn't the person I am and will never be. Maybe if society would wake up and see that everyone makes mistakes and it's not what they have done but what they have learned from them that count, this world might actually be a better place. EVERY SINGLE PERSON HAS COMMITTED A CRIME IN ONE SHAPE OR FORM. SOME GET CAUGHT OTHERS DON'T. YOU TAKE A PEN FROM YOUR JOB, YOU ARE TECHNICALLY COMMITTING A CRIME THAT IS CONSIDERED "THEFT BY AND EMPLOYEE" AND IS A FELONY IN MOST STATES...SO WHY JUDGE THOSE OF US WHO HAVE PAID OUR DEBTS AND WANT TO BETTER OURSELVES AND THE PEOPLE AROUND US...JUST MY OPINION

-reply by james claridge

responding to galexcdHiring Felons

My Son is 20. When he was 18 wrote on a wall. 2 years of fighting this he had to do 4 1/2 months in prison. 4 1/2 MONTHS He messed up at 18 now people like you think he's unhirible. He's a great guy and a very hard worker. Can't wait to work. But hes on parole and can't get a job. This is now his record, he wrote on a wall. Really is this something you would ruin a boys life over. He's concidered a level one which is low. Does the company even give him a chance to tell them of his crime. NO. I'm 54 years old and have worked in many places over the years..I know the ones you hire with no records are the ones that are stealing from you. Of course you know that since you hire people with no records. Also you get a parolee that wants to work you will also have a really good worker. They know what they have and don't want to lose it. A nice tax break at that. Where I work now Is one scary place with all them record free people. Try some compassion huh.

REALLY!Hiring FelonsLadies & Gentlemen, let ?s get real. If we are going to scrutinize people and turn them down for jobs; based on morals and ethics. And based on what they did in the past. Then perhaps we should put it all on the table?. If it is fair to question a person?s integrity or honesty based on a (non-violent) felony conviction . Then it would also be fair to question the honesty and integrity of people who?ve been divorced for cheating on their spouse? But things like that are not issues to the people in the HR?Humm! If he, or she can?t even be honest with the person they claim to love, then why in the hell would we think they would be honest at work dealing with strangers? REALLY! Or, how about the minor offenses? ?simple assault? sounds minor; ?He just choked his wife, he didn?t kill her? REALLY! Or, ?she threw a knife at him, but it didn?t really hit him? REALLY! Or, how about the one we all know at work, who drinks way too much, way too often. It?s like taboo to take these things into consideration. Why; because a lot of upper managers fit into this criteria? Perhaps! I?m just saying that if you look deeper into a lot of these ?minor offenses?, you will see that many could have or should have been felonies if it were not for Lawyers! If we put it all out there, many people would lose the jobs they now have. The bottom line is that we should look at who a person is today; what kind of experience and knowledge do they possess today; and what kind of felony they were convicted of. Because honestly, the main people stealing and under cutting the employer often times tends to be the one they thought wouldn?t do anything like that?REALLY!-reply by Kevin Anderson

That's why we MUST organize to fight the laws that make it virtually impossible for ex-offenders to get jobs.  The fact is, there are millions of us!  We can make ourselves heard.  I encourage you to visit my new site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; It's an online community for people with criminal records who are tired of not getting a second chance.  There you'll  see that I have a very practical plan for how we can all come together and make ourselves heard!  Please join the movement!  

-reply by FounderKeywords: texas felon jobs 2009

Our society sucks...Hiring Felons

I just wish that these companies out here would give people a chance and go off there performance not there background or credit score.  My fiance has a felony charge on him and believe me this he works way harder than my ex-husband who had a clean record.  It makes no sense but we are believing for some door to be opened soon for him because I so tired of seeing him bust his b**t for some little bitty check...SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!

-reply by Melodee

x cons and jobsHiring FelonsI think that to not hire x cons or x felons has its good reasons and it has its bad. The problem is that if not that x felon will commit another crime. If so that x felon will have an opportunity to ruin you.Yet an opportunity to change. Now with a down economy and two wars abroad, x felons are needed in the military and the government should hire them as soldiers and give them the opportunity to pay their debts to society. I am an x felon two times and a former gangter, but the job market is soft for people like me we are made to be treated unworthy to be treated equal, no matter what people say they are judging x felons as under-class. Gil Wainwright Las Vegas NV.-reply by Gilbert Wainwright

I was convicted of Conspiracy to Commit Robbery in 1996...13 years ago, and I've had probs ever since with finding a good job. I've had the door slammed in my face since I've obtained a college degree, because of my record.It's the one and only offense I ever committed. I just have to keep trying and praying someone will give me a chance, so I'm not flipping hamburgers the rest of my life.

-reply by Monette

Hiring Felons - What is so wrong with it?Hiring Felons

you say they have done the time for their crime, but no they have not.  a felon isn't done with their time till they are dead.  they know before hand that they have to live without some rights for the rest their lives and that is part of the time they have to do for the crime.

-reply by zach