xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zeyomie

Hiring Felons What is so wrong with it?

Felony WorkHiring Felons

Hello, For starters I'm a felon and I must admit that it is very difficult to find work. I did some stupid things when I was young and I don't expect a second chance but I would like an opportunity to prove myself as a member of society. It has been almost 7 years since my conviction and since then I have had work but only through friends and family. And EoE (if you didnt know it already) means WE don't HIRE FELONS. But I have had some decent luck with jobs mainly construction/manual labor. But here's what I have found to be effective in the hiring process. Make up a resume (if you don't know how just go to monster.Com or windows has a program called microsoft works and you will find several resume options there) if you don't have one already. And at the very bottom put something like this: I know from this piece of paper you wont be able to see who I am. That's why I invite you to sit down with me for 10-15 min of your day and see what you think. Maybe not in those words but something similar. But I'm done going on and on. I wish you all luck.-reply by Tracy

hire ex-cons or not toHiring Felons

After watching several young adults that I personally took into my home years ago to help them get a better start on life, I soon began to understand why so many return.

I have never seen one individual that leaves prison with the idea of coming back. However, With those individuals that I took in to my home, the rule was to get up every morning and hit the road looking for a job. The first day for each one was tiring, the second day was a tiring day, but less happiness, the third day they left the house slowly and the fourth normally had a excuse or would leave and spend the day with their old buddies.

After all the only people that open their doors is not Christians but rather those whom have a record also. So we are the reasons the prisons are full. 

Although, I do want to say that I lost a couple of the people back to prison, but others married settled in and  even purchased homes, but I had to turn to my personal friends to get jobs for these individuals. I slowly filled up any possible openings. That was the reason that we have formed Caring Hands.

Caring Hands is focused upon walking through these issues with those whom come to us for help. Caring Hands is one of the programs that United Family Home Ties. We are out to make a difference one step at a time. We have programs for the spouse, children, parents, etc...We feel that we are very blessed to be able to offer this program.

-reply by Brenda Eicher

18 year old Felonies Still hauntingHiring Felons

So I have worked Construction for around 18 years I got laid off in January 2009 been looking all year for a job but none out there. So an old friend of mine works for a Government contracting firm and gets me job with his firm I was going to work on a Government Contract in Afghanistan, and leave this week. The company runs there background etc, and is fine with everything. So for once in my life I finally feel my past is behind me.  Then this week I get the call, I'm sorry but the Government Official in charge of Our Afghanistan contract has told us you cannot go because of your jail time 18 years ago.  I had 2 grand theft autos and a forgery 18 years ago.  I had a public pretender because I was Indigent so got the shaft.  Later I found out that none should have been a felony so the arresting officers and the the and my Public Pretender all decided to give me a few felonies and not tell the whole truth.  The truth was the 2 cars I took were from the dealerships from where I worked and the forged check was from my friends check book, which he gave me.  So in essence it should have been passing bad checks and 2 counts of misuse of company property, all Misdemeanors.  BUT because of the system even after 18 years it is still ruining jobs for me.  This job would have been a great new start, and I was extremely qualified for the job, except for the record of course.  Another thing I was 21 at the time I had no children and was living on the street, that is a totally different situation than today, I have now have 2 children and a family and would never do something stupid like I did back then Yet the GOVERNMENT the same Government that said I paid my dues 18 years ago is saying I still can't have a job with them...

-reply by Screwed4Life

I recently got arrested and am being charged with feloniesHiring Felons

Allow me to introduce my self my name is Mark I'm 31 years old ,married and have abeautiful two year old daughter. I'm originally from New York and currently live in Sanford F.L. For the last 3years .I have been struggling financialy ever since I moved here Initially it was hard to get work so I did what I thought was the right thing at the time and that was to go to school. I did just that I and recently graduated from Keiser University on May of 2009 as a Radiologic Technologist. I was very excited since I thought my dreams of finding a decent job would finally come true, However, my dreams came crashing down very quickly. I soon realized that the ressesion is real and I couldnt get a job. I did the internet job hunting thing every day and to my disapointment there were no jobs for what I graduated in. I soon started physicaly going to places handing out my resume and that was unsuccesful as well. I even try to get a regular job outside my current Taco Bell job which by the way is only a part time. Meanwhile this whole time I'm struggling to pay mortgage,water, light ,car payments baby sitter etc. So I got desperate and made a big mistake! I got arrested for three  third degree felonys, which are burglary of a conveyance, burgalary of tools possesion, and larceny over $300 and under20000. Now I feel like not only did I put a more financial stress on my family because now I had to hire a lawyer, but I let my family down cause Its going to be very difficult getting a good job if I'm convicted. The only hope I really have to get out of this mess is a pre-trial divergence program which my lawyer is trying to do since I have never been in trouble with the law before. But my lawyer made no guarentees that I would get in the program and even if I get this pre trial divergence I'm not sure I'm out of the wood works cause it still will show the charges, however,the conviction will be missing if a back ground check is ever done. I'm not sure how thats going to help me. Please if you know any places or websites that are hiring people with less than perfect backgrounds let me know cause I'm willing to relocate if needed even move to another country if need be. 

-reply by Mark

I recently got arrested and am being charged with feloniesHiring Felons

Allow me to introduce my self my name is Mark I'm 31 years old ,married and have a beautiful two year old daughter. I'm originally from New York and currently live in Sanford F.L. For the last 3 years .I have been struggling financially ever since I moved here Initially it was hard to get work so I did what I thought was the right thing at the time and that was to go to school. I did just that I and recently graduated from Keiser University on May of 2009 as a Radiologic Technologist. I was very excited since I thought my dreams of finding a decent job would finally come true, However, my dreams came crashing down very quickly. I soon realized that the recession is real and I couldn't get a job. I did the internet job hunting thing every day and to my disappointment there were no jobs for what I graduated in. I soon started physically going to places handing out my resume and that was unsuccessful as well. I even try to get a regular job outside my current Taco Bell job which by the way is only a part time. Meanwhile this whole time I'm struggling to pay mortgage, water, light ,car payments baby sitter etc. So I got desperate and made a big mistake! I got arrested for three  third degree felony charge, which are burglary of a conveyance, burglary of tools possession, and larceny over $300 and under 20000. Now I feel like not only did I put a more financial stress on my family because now I had to hire a lawyer, but I let my family down cause Its going to be very difficult getting a good job if I'm convicted. The only hope I really have to get out of this mess is a pre-trial divergence program which my lawyer is trying to do since I have never been in trouble with the law before. But my lawyer made no guarantees that I would get in the program and even if I get this pre trial divergence I'm not sure I'm out of the wood works cause it still will show the charges, however, the conviction will be missing if a back ground check is ever done. I'm not sure how thats going to help me. Please if you know any places or websites that are hiring people with less than perfect backgrounds let me know cause I'm willing to relocate if needed even move to a another country if need be. 

-reply by Mark

Beng honest has been the wrong policyHiring Felons

For the last month I have been waiting to start a job with Casey's General Store as an Assistant Man. From day one I told the Manager and her supervisor of my conviction as a sex offender.  I had sex with a 15 yr. Old girl (consensual) when I was 20. I was assured that they understood, and they would love to have me work for them, even wanted me to apply for a manager position in another town close. Today I was supposed to go to the store and fill out my paperwork for employment. I was really excited to get back to work! Well needless to say, for some unknown reason they have changed their mind.  I am exhausted and have lost all faith in the kindness of people.   

-reply by Blade

Some self-help to get a fresh startHiring Felons

I have read so many stories like these, and think that the best thing that most people who have a criminal record is to consider getting their record expunged. Most states have some sort of legal remedy for sealing or expunging records.

If you have never heard the term before, an expungement is a legal procedure that removes or seals an arrest record, or conviction from all public databases, and publicly accessible computer systems of the court and police departments. With a few exceptions, a person that has received an expungement can legally answer "no" to the question asking whether you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, when filing out a job, rental, financial aid, or license application.

While most people with a record will qualify for expungement, there are many who will not, and each state has their own laws regarding expungements. To find out more about the expunegment process, you can contact an attorney or hire an expungement service. Both of these options will cost a few hundred to several thousand dollars.

If you don't have much money to spare, you can file your own case for less than $100.00, or for free if you qualify as being indigent.You can find information at your local courthouse website, in their self-help pages which often have easy to follow instructions and forms online. If you choose to expunge your record on your own, it will be much easier if you use a book like the one found on this site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, because there are some follow up steps that need to be taken after an expungement is granted to ensure the records are removed from all public databases.

Best of luck to those who need a fresh start!

-reply by Max J

Boils down to the cashHiring Felons

This is a great discussion and I believe deserves some inspection and reflection by the public at large. Five years ago, as a result of my choices and the ensuing drug addiction, I made some mistakes. I have been open and honest about my wrongdoing...Even from the point of my arrest. I successfully completed one of the most aggressive treatment programs in the world. In the way our society has grown with a increasing dependence on government solutions to social problems, as a people we have chosen to castigate and ostracize a significant portion of our population permanently.

The sad truth is that there are so many additional hurdles to surmount for an ex-felon, hurdles that never go away, that it has the effect at the margins of driving ex-felons back to crime, in some cases just to pay their bills. In tough economic times, felons are the first ones laid off, the last ones hired. And if selected for employment, they are the one's paid the least. I possess a master's degree in business administration, and accepted a job at a gas station/grocery store immediately upon my release at which I fully disclosed my legal status. Over the course of the next two years, I worked my way into management and was placed in charge of the cash room and bookkeeping for the entire store. My store managers were familiar with my integrity and work ethic and were comfortable placing me in charge of over $85k in cash each and every day. However, after holding this position of responsibility for a year without incident, I was terminated by corporate because it was "no longer in the interest of the company" to maintain my employment. Remember, this was a company that was more than happy to take a tax break by hiring felons, but was just as pleased to release an ex-felon for no other reason than his fully disclosed background.

I am completely comfortable with there being a heavy degree of punishment for criminals and perhaps an additional period of monitoring by the databases for those who have been released from custody to help prevent recidivism and reduce victimhood. However, it is my opinion that there must be some threshhold reached when a person's background can no longer be used against them. I don't know if that threshhold should be 10 or 15 or even 20 years, but even degenerate economic thieves who never pay their bills, get a free pass for prolifigate spending after seven years. I am not asking for a job in charge of government secrets or even another job in a cash room. But please, don't deny me and my family a large portion of my remaining earning power for mistakes for which I have paid and an addiction for which I have received treatment.

Instead, I will now have to dish out a couple more grand to pay a lawyer to afford myself some small degree of closure for the mistakes I made. The only problem is that even though it may be "expunged" it never will be eliminated from the private background checking databases which exist. I am not one to call for additional regulation, but if there was ever a need for implementing some guidelines on the background investigation industry, that need is growing at the same rate as the information in their databases.

lol...Thanks for reading my venting.

-reply by Robert

GIVE EX FELONS A SECOND CHANCE IN LIFE!!Hiring Felons

I AGREE, FELONS SHOULD NOT BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST, IF THEY ARE TRYING TO GET THEIR LIFE BACK TOGETHER. WHEN THEY ARE RELEASED THEY SHOULD HAVE A PSYCHIATRIC  EVALUATION.   AND PUT THEM IN SOME TYPE OF TRAINING COURSE  IMMEDIATELY.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO "CORRECT" THEM don't KEEP THEM IN "TIME-OUT!" I AM A 24 YEAR OLD MOTHER OF TWO.  I HELPED MY HUSBAND RAISE HIS FIRST SON, AND WE RECENTLY HAD A LITTLE GIRL.  HE HAS NOT HAD A "JOB" FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW. WE ARE REALLY STRUGGLING AND SOCIETY IS NOT WILLING TO GIVE US A SECOND CHANCE AT LIFE..  WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH MY CHILDREN IF MY HUSBAND CAN'T FIND DECENT EMPLOYMENT??? WE NEED A REAL REHABILITATION COURSE OR CLASS, CERTIFICATION OF SOME SORT THAT TELLS EMPLOYERS THEIR crime OR MISTAKE! WAS SOMETHING IN THEIR PAST.  SOME ONE PLEASE HELP US!!

-feedback by JOOLIE

the best solutionHiring Felons

The real tragedy of this situation is a conviction, or punishment that never ends. Those who oppose any leniency for prior offenders are just plain ignorant. Three parts apply to reasoning this out; first is the moral issue. An eye for an eye and a tooth for tooth, is grossly misinterpreted. The actual standard is NO MORE THAN an eye for eye or a tooth for tooth. Vengence creates a never ending cycle, a person must have the opportunity to prove themselves again. Otherwise his persecutors will eventually be in the morally weak position. A rehabilitated person has as much right to seek vengence (ie recommit an offense) when his prosecutors wont simply let him enjoy life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. REMEBER THAT PHRASE? King George would have imprisoned or killed our founding fathers for their crimes, was the King right? Second is the Legal issue: cruel and unusual punishment is not exclusive of excessive or strange punishment. Society would not accept chopping off the hand of a person guilty of stealing. But why do seem perfectly willing to legally chop off the hand of a person instead. A felony conviction should not deny a repentant and rehabilitated citizen the right to use his hand to feed himself and his family in the future. Third is our social norm or pattern of behavior that we as Americans expose; One misdeed One punishment. For example if you don't pay your bills you get a negative credit report, but onl;y for seven years. Technically you are a thief you received some product or service and did not pay for it?! But would any of us stand for a lifetime ban, that would deny us the right to have a mortgage/, a car note?, utilities?, phone service?? No we would not! If a person pays their debt thats it, the past is the past. To do more is cruel and unusual punishment, and socially unacceptable. Past behavior does not indicate or dictate future behavior, any credible sociologist can tell you that. And if a person fakes rehabilitation then they pay the price for future misdeeds when the commit them. How many times would you hold some loved ones behavior against them. If that is the standard then my son would be punished forever for the stupid mistakes he made from age 15 to 19. (He was a terrible teen of the highest order!) Today my son is my greatest point of success. I never gave up on him. Do we as a society deserve less for ourselves? I wouldn't want to have such a standard applied to me. When I first began working I was lazy and sloppy, I would not want that period of immaturity reflecting the past 40 years, would you?-reply by jerry

Keywords:

NO ONE WILL HIRE ME!!!Hiring Felons

I had twin boys that had major medical problems.  When my one son passed away, I had a breakdown.  I didn't handle it well.  I opened up a credit card in my Mom's name.  I was buying things that I didn't even need.  I didn't realize how much I spent either.  I spent $60,000 on the credit card!  My Mom did turn me in.  I am a 38 year old woman and I have never gotten into any kind of trouble before this.  My Mom and I didn't realize how difficult it would be for me to find work once I was arrested for identity theft, which is a felony.  I just got 7 years probation.  No jail time, due to the fact that I have a son that is autistic and needs special care.  I recently received a letter from the Clerk of Courts.  They want me to pay $813/month to pay off what I owe!  Obviously, since I can't get employment, that is going to be impossible!  I have applied at all the jobs that I can do within my state.  I am fully qualified for these jobs, but once they see my record, the employers refuse to hire me.  Several months ago, before I was even convicted, I had applied for a cleaning position.  I got the job.  I was working for a couple of weeks and then one evening, I received a call from my employer to turn in my shirt and badge, for they saw my criminal record and said they had to let me go.  I wasn't even convicted yet!  I am not even permitted to clean toilets!  How pathetic is that?  I have not worked in a year.  There are no more jobs at this time that I can apply for.  I know that my probation officer will be threatening me if I don't pay my monthly payments.  I guess they will have to put me in jail.  I know I made a big mistake with committing a crime, but the justice system is setting me back more.  At 38, I feel like I reverted back to being a child.  I cannot financially take care of myself or my son. My son and I moved back at home with my Mom. The justice system is surely a money making business.  They want to keep me down. Do you know that the judges get paid more money for people that are Incarcerated?  I shouldn't have to kiss employers' butts to get work.  How dare them take that right from me! 

-reply by Lori

I truly believe that in this country, at least, we create more problems with the general mind set of the population in power. For some reason, people seem to think that they don't make mistakes. Or they seem to be scared to death of the evil that is out there. We have so missed the mark in being able to differentiate between the predators and the sexual misbehavior that accompany miss judgment. Both should never carry the same consequence. If you think about it isn't that considered cruel and unusual punishment? Branded for life for an error in judgment? In trying to protect ourselves from the evil that is out there, we overreact and it serves to only create new problems. If someone has made a mistake and has done their time it is not unreasonable that they should not be allowed to be discriminated against. Once the rules of society have established a person should become a citizen again then they should be afforded all those rights. And if the rules of society have put someone out in society, ie probation, then those individuals should be afforded the opportunity to work without being discriminated against. At the very least, not simply ruled out via a "background check". One should have the opportunity to tell their story. It is therefore, nothing less than a violation of ones civil rights to deny an individual the oportunity for life, liberty and the persuit of happiness. The question is how far do things have to get screwed to the other side before the demand for change comes. Change in this country can only come when people are heard. Our voice is our vote. Too many of us have stood by in this country and expected things to just run OK. We try not to get involved and keep from rocking the boat, but NOTHING can get done without the LOUDNESS of a unified front. Unfortunately, that takes commitment, stamina, and some endurance to pain, not to mention removal of fear. Ghandi said that there are things that he is willing to die for but nothing that he is willing to kill for. And that is what will be needed to draw attention to any worthy cause. The answer is to organize. Get people together, petition, march, vote out anyone who does not speak for you, demand to be heard. We are out here and we are brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends, cousins, sons and daughters. That means that there is a larger pool of support than we realize. I'm ready when you are. Just say when.

Hiring Felons - What is so wrong with it?Hiring Felons

Zeyomie said: "Employers are not supposed to discriminate against felons, just like anyone else"

Totally false. Employers can legally discriminate so long as it's not based on that person's protective class status (race, religion, sex, etc). It is perfectly legal to discriminate based on any other issue. I can legally refuse to hire you if I do not like the car you drive, and certainly, based on the results of your background and credit checks.

-reply by Charles

Discriminating against felonsHiring Felons

Keep thinking what you want. However, if you live in Illinois, I hope you do not hire someone because they are simply convicted felons. You will be the first law suit example against discriminating because of background not qualifications. States are starting to pass human right bills that do not allow employers to discriminate against a person due to their criminal background, unless it has a direct relation to the job. For example, a retailer does not have to hire someone with theft on their background. If a person is qualified for a job and can prove they do not pose a threat within the position sought, they should be allowed to work in it. Otherwise face the lawsuit for discriminating against them. Look at Illinois's H.B. 2475. 

-reply by Anonymous

No chance for felonsHiring Felons

I did some stupid **** 18 years ago, all alcohol related, no violence, no theft, a simple d.U.I/ with a claim of injuries cause the guy I rear ended claimed whiplash. Left state while still on probation for VERY valid reasons, alcoholic abusive husband and a 2 yr. Old child. Last year I came back for a job interview and was arrested with NO NEW CHARGE, just based on this 18 yr. Old v.O.P. Sentenced to 18 mo's in prison. Lost everything. Got released, went home to Mom and Dad's and commenced to try to get a job. What a joke, ugly joke as it is not funny. While in I became aware of the revenue Fl. Reeps from us incarcerated. It is their way of not drowning in a dieing economy. I was worth far more to this state as an inmate than I will ever be out here trying to be a tax paying citizen. IF I could become one. Being a felon in Fl. Is a death sentence. Death of your character, opportunities, confidence, and ultimately, your ability to keep trying. They ran me off. I don't stand a chance here. I will head out with zero $ and go try to make it elsewhere. And carry a bad taste in my mouth about how I was treated in Fl. If  I was hispanic, a felony wouldn't matter, they CAN'T run a background check from another country. Isn't it completely obvious, all layman jobs are taken by immigrants that "can speak no english" In order to be eligible for employment in this state you must be bi-lingual, as these job stealing individuals have ne desire, need, or willingness to learn our language. So I guess unless you are a professional with a longstanding career, God forgive you are a felon trying to start over, Fl. Is not the state of opportunity. Is there one out there? I'm fixin to go find out. Thinking Montana, or Alaska, as I hear they don't discriminate against you about yesterday.

-reply by Susan