xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Setting Up New Forum getting error

I personally like AEF better than any other forum software. It is rather new, that explains its smaller user base. But it is a great forum software. There are lots of mods and themes for it. And the support community is great. The forum software as a whole is very easy to use. The interface is rather nice, and is much sleeker than any other forum software. In my eyes, it is the IPB of free forum software.

In terms of the "very easy to use" part...What about mod installing? Like, if you have, say 4 different themes, do you have to manually go through each one to install the various mods?

That is one of the things that is pushing me away from modding anything at all in terms of forums: it's just too much work. I'm tired of having 50 people want various themes and then have to go through them one by one and re-mod each one with every addition and all.

I will look into that for you. I haven't used AEF in a while and I know they were making changes to how modding and themeing worked. jlhaslip probably knows too. But I will search around for you.

Well I am still playing around with it before I convert over. still have not found any doc on how to do that but did get the zip for it. So far I like it but for one thing. the shoutout is as a link. But I did see a post or too on how to move it, so we will see.

What do you mean the shoutout is as a link?

yea in the upper right hand cornor there is a dropdown and there you will get a small shoutout blucks. didnt really look at all the files in the pages but it almost looked as it was a flash setup box. JL would know for sure though. Gonna wait and talk with a few other people that use that kind of board and see if they have had any problems with it.

Check out an AEF Forum with an enabled/fixed position Shoutbox here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/?

Go to the Admin Control Panel > Core Settings > Shoutbox Settings and tick the "Enable Shoutbox" setting
Then go to Themes > Theme Settings > Shoutbox Tab and tick the "Fix Shoutbox" setting

The Shoutbox needs to be enabled in the ACP Core Settings for the Shoutbox to be allowed via the Quick Links drop-down. To have the Shoutbox "fixed" to the top of he page, it needs to be "fixed" in to position by the Theme Settings.

Of course, you can also adjust some of the other information by changing the shoutbox settings in the ACP > Core Settings > Shoutbox Settings, like the number of shouts available for display, their Shout Life, the use of bbcodes, etc.

In terms of the "very easy to use" part...What about mod installing? Like, if you have, say 4 different themes, do you have to manually go through each one to install the various mods?
That is one of the things that is pushing me away from modding anything at all in terms of forums: it's just too much work. I'm tired of having 50 people want various themes and then have to go through them one by one and re-mod each one with every addition and all.

The Themes are quite easy to install. Simply copy the default Theme files into a new folder and then adjust the CSS, etc as you require for the new Theme.
Then, select the Theme you want from inside the ACP. Simple. You can have multiple Themes loaded at all times, hut only one is the Default. Most Themes have been able to move along with the versions as they are released quite easily. The core of the package has had very few structural changes, so mostly it is CSS that needs adjusting for a Theme.

Very high on the list of new, desired features is a Mod Installer. Hopefully it will be ready for the next release (1.09) at least as a beta version. And fully released in AEF 1.10. At least that is the current plan, subject to Developer availability. If you know any Developers looking for a project tot tackle, the AEF project could sure use them. And Language Translators, too... always need Translators as the new releases are made public...

The Themes are quite easy to install. Simply copy the default Theme files into a new folder and then adjust the CSS, etc as you require for the new Theme.Then, select the Theme you want from inside the ACP. Simple. You can have multiple Themes loaded at all times, hut only one is the Default. Most Themes have been able to move along with the versions as they are released quite easily. The core of the package has had very few structural changes, so mostly it is CSS that needs adjusting for a Theme.

Very high on the list of new, desired features is a Mod Installer. Hopefully it will be ready for the next release (1.09) at least as a beta version. And fully released in AEF 1.10. At least that is the current plan, subject to Developer availability. If you know any Developers looking for a project tot tackle, the AEF project could sure use them. And Language Translators, too... always need Translators as the new releases are made public...

LMAO Things are never easy JL, Ask tramp.
All is working now and I would like to say a very big thank you to you all for the help

Indeed, as tramp points out in his reply above, the universal.php needs to be able to write to the file so the permissions require chmod 777 on install or when you are altering certain settings inside the Forum software (Core Settings in the Admin Control Panel), but the normal usage of the software could be set at 655 for the most part.

It is a good idea to revert the settings to 655 just in case there is a security issue on the Forum. Keeping the settings at 777 is not an issue by itself, but the file could be affected if the Software installation is violated. The Forum is MORE secure with the 655 settings. The 777 permissions alone is not an un-secure setting.

There has been only one major security instance involving the AEF software and it was patched with AEF 1.07 by uploading and replacing a single file. No sites were hacked or damaged under that security issue. It was discovered by a Security Audit and immediately patched without a public awareness of its presence. Members are urged to upgrade to the newest version, AEF 1.08, which includes the security patch and several new features and enhancements.

More new stuff coming in AEF 1.09, expected soon. Calendar event implementation, new bbcodes, new Themes and other mods to the core will be included. Watch for them.

I sure will be watching out for that along with any updates JL. and as I told you today too. I think maybe a simple doc file telling in simple tearms of how to install the converter along with the board it's self would be a great idea. I know I can not be the only n00b out there that can't figure out something like that. Other than that I really like this better than the SMF I was using before. Just have to Echo Proof it lmao

The Themes are quite easy to install. Simply copy the default Theme files into a new folder and then adjust the CSS, etc as you require for the new Theme.Then, select the Theme you want from inside the ACP. Simple. You can have multiple Themes loaded at all times, hut only one is the Default. Most Themes have been able to move along with the versions as they are released quite easily. The core of the package has had very few structural changes, so mostly it is CSS that needs adjusting for a Theme.

Do they have detailed instructions on how to edit the CSS? Like what to open, what code goes where, etc.?

That was an issue with PhpBB. Not only is it hard to install the mods to every theme, but along with that you also had to *know* what to do with everything. There were many mods where the forum threads were full of people asking how to install them, without even one reply.

That's the kind of thing I am trying to get away from.