xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Setting Up New Forum getting error

okay problem is this. Today I was trying to set up an AEF forum on my site. upladed everything as told and I got this error.
The universal.php file is not writable and the setup could not CHMOD.
Please CHMOD it to 0777 for the setup of your AEF board. You may later revert it back to 0655.

After CHMOD just access this page again to start the setup.

Totally lost now. What have I done wrong?

My AEF Forum

In your FTP client, right click on universal.php. There will be a menu that drops down (obviously). Within that menu there may be an option to CHMOD, but if there isn't it usually can be done through the properties menu. CHMODding is changing read, write, and execute permissions for different user levels. 0777 allows anybody to read, write and execute. So you would either type in 0777 in a box if you are given it or just select all the boxes that the CHMOD interface provides.It really depends on the FTP client as every client does it slightly different...But that should be able to assisst you a little bit. If you are still lost just say what FTP client you use (WinSCP, Filezilla, CutFTP, etc...) and I can give you more detailed instructions.

In your FTP client, right click on universal.php. There will be a menu that drops down (obviously). Within that menu there may be an option to CHMOD, but if there isn't it usually can be done through the properties menu. CHMODding is changing read, write, and execute permissions for different user levels. 0777 allows anybody to read, write and execute. So you would either type in 0777 in a box if you are given it or just select all the boxes that the CHMOD interface provides.
It really depends on the FTP client as every client does it slightly different...But that should be able to assisst you a little bit. If you are still lost just say what FTP client you use (WinSCP, Filezilla, CutFTP, etc...) and I can give you more detailed instructions.

I uplated with my Cpanel
Looked for anything that would change all that and found it but will only gives me 3 numbers not 4 for typing in 0777

Then don't put in the 0. Sometimes it is referred to with the 0 sometimes not. I am not sure why they put it in there, but you just live with it I guess. All you will need to do in CPanel, then, is put a 7 in each spot. That will give you a the correct permissions.And good choice on AEF. I used to design for them. They are provide great forum software. Very fast and beautiful.

Be careful. There is a high risk vulnerability that could have possibly not been solved yet.When you chmod the universal.php, it can be manipulated by an outside source, basically injected with the manipulaters wanting.Be sure when you finish installing, remove the 777 chmod, to be safe. I fell into this security mod, and being in the AEF staff back then, it was quickly dispatched to the others, and they fixed their problem.

Yea beat you to the punch. changed everything back right after I did it. Now trying to figure out of the Database and all that good stuff. Not like with the other board I have when I installed it it did all this for me. Echo Proof lmao

I might but just playing around with this, will not be be using it on my site. more or less just learning.

Indeed, as tramp points out in his reply above, the universal.php needs to be able to write to the file so the permissions require chmod 777 on install or when you are altering certain settings inside the Forum software (Core Settings in the Admin Control Panel), but the normal usage of the software could be set at 655 for the most part.

It is a good idea to revert the settings to 655 just in case there is a security issue on the Forum. Keeping the settings at 777 is not an issue by itself, but the file could be affected if the Software installation is violated. The Forum is MORE secure with the 655 settings. The 777 permissions alone is not an un-secure setting.

There has been only one major security instance involving the AEF software and it was patched with AEF 1.07 by uploading and replacing a single file. No sites were hacked or damaged under that security issue. It was discovered by a Security Audit and immediately patched without a public awareness of its presence. Members are urged to upgrade to the newest version, AEF 1.08, which includes the security patch and several new features and enhancements.

More new stuff coming in AEF 1.09, expected soon. Calendar event implementation, new bbcodes, new Themes and other mods to the core will be included. Watch for them.

just playing around with it. right now. seeing how easy and simple the admin interface is and all that. . so far I really like it.

I think I am going to start messing around with AEF again. I really liked that software. Just gotta go download the newest version. Do you have any idea when 1.0.9 is coming out? I am excited.

This is a little off-topic but it does have to do with the forums themselves.How does AEF compare to things like phpBB, VBulletin, or SMF? I have not heard of AEF besides on these forums, which leads me to believe that it's not a widely used platform(meaning also a lot less support, less developers, etc.)

This is a little off-topic but it does have to do with the forums themselves.
How does AEF compare to things like phpBB, VBulletin, or SMF? I have not heard of AEF besides on these forums, which leads me to believe that it's not a widely used platform(meaning also a lot less support, less developers, etc.)

That I am not too sure of. I just wanted to really have a look see at it. Right now I run a SMF which I do like, just hard finding any good mods to it, that are simple for the begginer to understand. I have also used the phpbb in the past but I found that board was getting more auto signups than anything.

I personally like AEF better than any other forum software. It is rather new, that explains its smaller user base. But it is a great forum software. There are lots of mods and themes for it. And the support community is great. The forum software as a whole is very easy to use. The interface is rather nice, and is much sleeker than any other forum software. In my eyes, it is the IPB of free forum software.