xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Weather-diaster A must have kit you should have

I got exploring here today and found this and felt as it would be a great place for this. Have you ever been cought in very bad weather and had nothing, same witha diaster? here is a kit you should and MUST HAVE!

Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. If you must heat food, pack a can of sterno. Select food items that are compact and lightweight.

Include a selection of the following foods in your Disaster Supplies Kit:

Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, and vegetables Canned juices
Staples (salt, sugar, pepper, spices, etc.)
High energy foods
Vitamins
Food for infants
Comfort/stress foods

First Aid Kit
Assemble a first aid kit for your home and one for each car.

(20) adhesive bandages, various sizes.
(1) 5" x 9" sterile dressing.
(1) conforming roller gauze bandage.
(2) triangular bandages.
(2) 3 x 3 sterile gauze pads.
(2) 4 x 4 sterile gauze pads.
(1) roll 3" cohesive bandage.
(2) germicidal hand wipes or waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
(6) antiseptic wipes.
(2) pair large medical grade non-latex gloves.
Adhesive tape, 2" width.
Anti-bacterial ointment.
Cold pack.
Scissors (small, personal).
Tweezers.
CPR breathing barrier, such as a face shield.

Non-Prescription Drugs

Aspirin or nonaspirin pain reliever
Anti-diarrhea medication
Antacid (for stomach upset)
Syrup of Ipecac (use to induce vomiting if advised by the Poison Control Center)
Laxative
Activated charcoal (use if advised by the Poison Control Center)

Tools and Supplies

Mess kits, or paper cups, plates, and plastic utensils*
Emergency preparedness manual*
Battery-operated radio and extra batteries*
Flashlight and extra batteries*
Cash or traveler's checks, change*
Non-electric can opener, utility knife*
Fire extinguisher: small canister ABC type
Tube tent
Pliers
Tape
Compass
Matches in a waterproof container
Aluminum foil
Plastic storage containers
Signal flare
Paper, pencil
Needles, thread
Medicine dropper
Shut-off wrench, to turn off household gas and water
Whistle
Plastic sheeting
Map of the area (for locating shelters)

Sanitation

Toilet paper, towelettes
Soap, liquid detergent
Feminine supplies
Personal hygiene items
Plastic garbage bags, ties (for personal sanitation uses)
Plastic bucket with tight lid
Disinfectant
Household chlorine bleach

Clothing and Bedding
*Include at least one complete change of clothing and footwear per person.

Sturdy shoes or work boots*
Rain gear*
Blankets or sleeping bags*
Hat and gloves*
Thermal underwear*
Sunglasses

Remember family members with special requirements, such as infants and elderly or disabled persons
BABIES
Formula
Diapers
Bottles
Powdered milk
ADULTS
Heart and high blood pressure medication
Insulin
Prescription drugs
Denture needs
Contact lenses and supplies
Extra eye glasses
Keep these records in a waterproof, portable container: Will, insurance policies, contracts deeds, stocks and bonds
Passports, social security cards, immunization records
Bank account numbers
Credit card account numbers and companies, ATM Card
Inventory of valuable household goods, important telephone numbers
Family records (birth, marriage, death certificates)
Store your kit in a convenient place known to all family members. Keep a smaller version of the supplies kit in the trunk of your car.
Keep items in airtight plastic bags. Change your stored water supply every six months so it stays fresh. Replace your stored food every six months. Re-think your kit and family needs at least once a year. Replace batteries, update clothes, etc.
Ask your physician or pharmacist about storing prescription medications

If your in a Shelter

2 to 3 decks of playing cards
A board game or 2
A CD-AM-FM Radio "With Headphones" (1 for each member of the family)
Note pad and Pen or pencils for writting notes or scheching or whatever.

This list was compiled from my own list as well as FEMA and THE American Red Cross

Medications

Really interesting.. umm.. I'm not gonna need half of those. I don't remember any kind of disaster here in finland. Earthquakes don't happen here and strong weather is rare too. Oh and that list lacks one thing: Coffee and an espressso machine hehee.

Where I live, we have HUGE storms all the time, and I don't have this pack prepared, I know that I always have stuff like first-aid, non-perishable foods, and some other stuff.

Really interesting.. umm.. I'm not gonna need half of those. I don't remember any kind of disaster here in finland. Earthquakes don't happen here and strong weather is rare too.
Oh and that list lacks one thing: Coffee and an espressso machine hehee.

The Kit can be used with not only weather diasters but any kind where you would need to evac.

As a follow up to the disaster kit listed above, what I would really like to talk about now is a evcuation plan. this is something that everyone should have. Not only in case of a bad weather storm but in case of fire or any other type of threat. say your in your bed asleep one nite and your awaken by the smell of smoke? You would leave the house the saftest way that you could. But what where would you meet the rest of your family? did they all know the same plan?This is why all of your family should have a safty drill. A drill to know what and when to do something in an emergency. Like feeling the doorknob, if it is hot to the touch. DO NOT OPEN IT! Fire is on the other side of the door. if your on the 1st floor and have a widow, break it and go out there. if your upstairs? have a escape latter than you can drop out your window so you may climb down. Have one for every bedroom on the higher floors. Also when you have your drill know how to use these ladders and use but be safe when your using them please. Once everyone is out of your home, have a place pre set where everyone is to meet, such as a tree or a neighbors yard.Main thing to remember is this. Be calm. panic will kill you. leave the burning home in a timely and safe manor. Dont worry of your belongings. They can be replaced your life or the lives of your familly can't.

What Echo was initially talking about was a bug-out bag. The best idea is to pack one with non-perishables and emergency items, preferably in a single backpack that you can just snag and leave immediately in the case of an emergency that warrants your evacuation.There's really not a heck of a lot that makes a bug-out bag necessary anymore... unless you were on the run, or lived in the woods and a bear came in to harass you and you needed to leave for a while, or whatnot. A bug-out bag, depending on how big it is, can last from a day to a few days, for one or more persons.I would just worry about the possible considerations that would be an inconvenience, like having bottled water on hand when running water isn't available anymore, or having a heat source, batteries, candles, or whatever you need in case the power goes out for days (which was an ordeal I actually just went through), a revolution happens, or the war of the worlds occurs. :P We all usually learn after our first time what we miss, what we need, and what we take for granted when the sh*t hits the fan. :P

What Echo was initially talking about was a bug-out bag. The best idea is to pack one with non-perishables and emergency items, preferably in a single backpack that you can just snag and leave immediately in the case of an emergency that warrants your evacuation.
There's really not a heck of a lot that makes a bug-out bag necessary anymore... unless you were on the run, or lived in the woods and a bear came in to harass you and you needed to leave for a while, or whatnot. A bug-out bag, depending on how big it is, can last from a day to a few days, for one or more persons.

I would just worry about the possible considerations that would be an inconvenience, like having bottled water on hand when running water isn't available anymore, or having a heat source, batteries, candles, or whatever you need in case the power goes out for days (which was an ordeal I actually just went through), a revolution happens, or the war of the worlds occurs. :P

We all usually learn after our first time what we miss, what we need, and what we take for granted when the sh*t hits the fan. :P

Wrong! they are necessary. say you do not have a bug out bag in your car. your driving down a road in the middle of nowhere and you breakdown. then what? Your beeped. Also, what if you do have to Evacuate your home and go to a shelter for days if not weeks, they will not have everything you need there at a shelter. so it is best to H.Y.S.T Have your stuff together.

It's a great list of stuff to have. I plan on making sacks for each of us. A backpack with a change of clothes, food, tolitries etc for myself and my hubby, and another with diapers, formula, clothes, and toys for my son. You never know when something might come up. Like my hubby's friends, their house burned down and they lost everything! Their home, their pets, even access to their cars since the keys were inside, they melted to the floor. To lose everything like that, it's always a good idea to have a back up plan. And to keep you valuables in a fireproof safe, or a backpack duffel bag where they can be taken with you in an emergency. Things like birth certificates, social security cards, etc. Things you don't carry with you normally but aren't that easily replaced. I keep that and keepsake items, (ultrasound pictures, letters, cards, my honor cords when I graduated) in a duffel bag that I can just grab on the way out the door. It doesn't exactly make that worry free, but at least I know if something happens, I can grab it and not lose everything.

I spent some time working with a local volunteer Search and Rescue group here where I live. About 5 years.One item we used to carry with us at all times for starting fires was, believe it or not, a length of bicycle inner tube. Use your matches to light one end and it will burn approximately 1 minute per inch, which allows you to use "less than perfect" kindling. I can start wet wood on fire with one of those bad boys. We cut them into about 5 Inch lengths, folded one end, stored a package of matches inside and folded the other end over, securing it with an elastic band. Weather proof, if not waterproof, and we carried them in several places, like a few at the bottom of the pack, one in each pocket. Never left on a search without them.

I spent some time working with a local volunteer Search and Rescue group here where I live. About 5 years.One item we used to carry with us at all times for starting fires was, believe it or not, a length of bicycle inner tube. Use your matches to light one end and it will burn approximately 1 minute per inch, which allows you to use "less than perfect" kindling. I can start wet wood on fire with one of those bad boys.
We cut them into about 5 Inch lengths, folded one end, stored a package of matches inside and folded the other end over, securing it with an elastic band. Weather proof, if not waterproof, and we carried them in several places, like a few at the bottom of the pack, one in each pocket. Never left on a search without them.

Yes that is also a very good thing to use JL. you would be suprised at some of the things you can use in a pinch if you need too. You can if you wear glasses use them as a magafing glass to get a fire going if need be. but always best to carry in your kit some water proof matches or a couple of bic lighters. when the gas runs out you can have that flint and get a spark.

I spent some time working with a local volunteer Search and Rescue group here where I live. About 5 years.One item we used to carry with us at all times for starting fires was, believe it or not, a length of bicycle inner tube. Use your matches to light one end and it will burn approximately 1 minute per inch, which allows you to use "less than perfect" kindling. I can start wet wood on fire with one of those bad boys.
We cut them into about 5 Inch lengths, folded one end, stored a package of matches inside and folded the other end over, securing it with an elastic band. Weather proof, if not waterproof, and we carried them in several places, like a few at the bottom of the pack, one in each pocket. Never left on a search without them.

Yes that is also a very good thing to use JL. you would be suprised at some of the things you can use in a pinch if you need too. You can if you wear glasses use them as a magafing glass to get a fire going if need be. but always best to carry in your kit some water proof matches or a couple of bic lighters. when the gas runs out you can have that flint and get a spark.

Weather disaster is very very harmful for the humankind especialy for them live near coastal area echo thunder had given a brief introduction of disaster 1 shuld read its helpfulpeople shuld must aware of iweather disaster,

That is so useful indeed! Just had a doubt about the canned meat part, is it advisable to have canned meat which is preserved and we preserve it further ? the rest is a list that everyone should well versed with ,because disasters come with unprecedented and obviously adverse effects.