xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Why We Yawn and you thought you was sleepy lol

I came across this today and thought that everyone here would enjoy it as must as I did.

Dec. 15, 2008 -- If your head is overheated, there's a good chance you'll yawn soon, according to a new study that found the primary purpose of yawning is to control brain temperature.

and here I always thought that we yawn because our bodies are tired and we need air. You may read the full story Here Very interesting study if you ask me.

Wow. I was always taught that we yawn because we need more air (so yawning a lot is a good way to tell if you're breathing too much Carbon Monoxide)... but I did know that Crocodiles yawn to keep cool. Guess it kind of works the same in us after all.

I have actually heard multiple variations as to why we yawn...Back in middle school we were told that we do it because it gives us air..And that's why you are more prone to yawn when you are tired.And then a couple years ago in high school a teacher of ours told us that it is because of heat...I guess really we will never know the truth behind it. There are many different studies "proving" various reasons. Maybe it's all? Maybe when we get hot we also aren't processing oxygen efficiently enough and so it's to not only cool us off but also to help us bring in more oxygen to account for the loss...

That kind of makes sense. People sleep best when they're warm, and you sleep when you're tired... Which is when you yawn. Sounds really plausible. And I guess yawning is just an attempt to keep us awake or something...I still want proof that one person yawning makes you yawn. I don't think that effects me... but I want to yawn just saying "yawn" this much. :)

I heard that we yawn and it causes a vain in the neck to be pinched cutting of circulation to your brain helping you fall asleep.lol Seems there are many variations to why we yawn. :) :)

Maybe the truth is that we yawn because it gives us a reason to say the word...After reading all of these posts the word "yawn" just makes me want to laugh. It just sounds funny now.

I came across this today and thought that everyone here would enjoy it as must as I did. and here I always thought that we yawn because our bodies are tired and we need air. You may read the full story Here
Very interesting study if you ask me.

Thank you dear friend for such a good study details its really interesting to know that its to control our heads temperature. By the way its really interesting. 

Wow, thats kinda interesting...I always thought that yawning was because of there not being enough oxygen in the air - this also explains why yawning is contagious! Although i suppose the newly found reason explains that too!

That's really interesting.We yawn because wemust reduce our heat.If that's the case I'mgoing to yawn over and over again duringthe hot and humid July weather. It gets me thinking.I wonder what sneezing is really for?

really? I didn't know that, I always thought it was because we needed more air etc. There always seem to be new studies coming out about why we yawn though. It's one of those things we don't fully understand.Interesting article though :)

I've always heard yawning is contagious, if someone around you yawns, you will yawn. Even thinking about yawning makes you want to yawn. And after reading these posts and thinking about yawning, I did yawn. So.....it's a pretty safe bet that my head is not overheated right now, it's freaking cold in this room. If yawning is associated with being sleepy or bored, why do we mostly yawn then? Instead of in the middle of the day when we are busy and our brain should be quite warm?I'm having trouble typing this I just want to keep yawning.... :)