xisto Community
cemeteryrecords

Dollar Tree The place for great deals

Some foods which claim to expire on certain days are still good past their date; I mean, have you ever heard of "rotten" soda or Twinkies? When you open the package, you can tell right away if something is spoiled or not. It's just a pain to have paid for it by then, but the dates are printed right there if you need to check. As long as you use good judgment, you should be fine.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that twinkies and other foods with sugars can go bad...After all, twinkies are made with bread as well,right? That includes eggs and stuff.

As for soda....Hard to say but I think that real old cokes will have a horrible, horrible "flat" taste. Almost as if you were sitting there shaking them for a few hours before drinking.

I don't mind going to dollar stores like the Dollar Tree, but I have never bought food at one for this reason. I always figured there had to be some sort of catch to getting things so cheaply. Some things are pretty good to buy there (I've gotten books, writing supplies, coloring books for my nephew, knick-knacks, etc. there) but there are a lot of things that I won't buy from a Dollar Tree simply because I don't trust the quality of it. If there's really a big concern about it (and it seems there is), then it should be brought to the attention of people who can do something about it, because surely it can't be legal to try to sell expired food. That said though, there are a lot of decent "dollar stores" aside from Dollar Tree. I will buy food occasionally (like a gallon of milk or a dozen of eggs if I find that I'm running low) from a place like Dollar General because their prices seem to stay truer to quality (if that makes sense).

I haven't heard of anything that's called "Dollar shop".
But reading about what you have said about them I can kind of guess that it is not a great business.
I always check the date on my food if its even a day before the expire date I would normally throw the item of food away.

I will buy food occasionally (like a gallon of milk or a dozen of eggs if I find that I'm running low) from a place like Dollar General because their prices seem to stay truer to quality (if that makes sense).

Thats actually a good idea, I will have to look into that.

Most food that is marked as expired is actually in fact not expired, and it's even likely to expire on time having not been handled as fewer bacterial cultures have been introduced to the food. Additionally certain foods like dry, canned and frozen items won't usually go bad. So this is actually a good way to get food on a budget, also you can usually find brand name stuff you would'nt normally buy as it's too expensive.As for other non food items I've bought things at similar places simply because they were alot cheaper I think that you're misinformed about them containing lead. Most items that end up in stores like that were sets that have pieces missing or pieces that got broken during the skipping process and, not meeting quality control standards of department stores it ends up in a store like dollar tree.Additionally as far as them keeping no record of expiration dates and food being allowed to sit there, gives me the idea that none of the food is fresh and therefore it poses no risk to not keep track of expiration dates on such items.

I shop at a store called Nob Hill in California. It's a high end super market. I noticed that SO many items are at expiration dates or sometimes past. It's the sign of the times. I shop regularly at Big Lots or Dollar Tree. Food is often MONTHS out from the expiration Date. Alot of it is name brand: Progresso, Cystal Gyser H20, Campbells, etc. Yes, the glassware and ceramics are of concern.... but HELLLO everyone? MOST of the crap sold at so many stores that is made in Asia is full of lead. It is all unregulated. Only higher end stores that test stuff or has serious regulations in place can weed that stuff out. They have a generic brand of pharmaceuticals and I tracked down the company. Unless she was lying, the person there said they formulate and tabletize the stuff here in the US. As long as ANYTHING at any store says "Made in China", you are a fool to pay more for it elsewhere. It's all the same distributors. Alot of the stuff is coming from overstock from department stores, Walmart, etc. Yes, if you do the math, some of it is not a good deal. But if you only got $2 in your pocket and need something, shopping there is cheaper than buying more case like stuff for $8 or more at more expensive stores. If you need to stretch your precious dollar, then Dollar Tree and Big Lots both have deals. You just have to know how to shop.

I love dollar stores -- survived on them for years -- at least for the non-food products. Definitely always find goodies in them. Can't complain about that. I'd walk in there feeling like a rich man. But I did see the food section, often checked out the "nonperishable foods" -- stuff that probably shouldn't even exist. Pick & choose kind of store, but surely the place to shop for toiletries and other items.

I shop at the Dollar Tree for a number of items and find it to be quite worth your dollar. When I was moving into my first apartment I bought all of my glasses, plates, bowls, cooking utensils like ladels, tongs, etc. I buy kitchen towels and potholders, as well as handsoap and cleaning products. I buy holiday themed window clings, figurines, decorations and materials to make my own wreaths. I buy all of my wrapping paper, bows & gift bags from there and have even on occasion bought things like frozen spinach or bbq sauce (which by the way DOES have an expiration date on it & it's not 2 or 3 days away) And do you want to know what? My place looks DAMN good. For what I'm sure is HUNDREDS of dollars less than what other people are paying to decorate their houses. I recently bought a cute red garland heart decoration for Valentine's Day for ya know, just a dollar and then an hour later, walked into CVS and saw a similar heart for $9.99. I'm sure you could say that the CVS heart was made better or looked a little nicer but for 9 dollars cheaper, my house looks just as nice for the holiday. The Dollar Tree is worth every penny. If you think that you shouldn't buy an item there because you're sketchy about it, then don't. But don't act like the Dollar Tree is diseased or that they're all snake oil salesmen.