xisto Community
elrohir

Linux Now Runs On The Iphone! Even if it doesnt do much yet...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

What we have:

- Framebuffer driver

- Serial driver

- Serial over USB driver

- Interrupts, MMU, clock, etc.

What we have in openiboot (but hasn't been ported yet):

- Read-only support for the NAND

What we don't have (yet!):

- Write support for the NAND

- Wireless networking

- Touchscreen

- Sound

- Accelerometer

- Baseband support

Still quite a bit missing - you have to connect through a usb interface - but pretty awesome.

It's apparently "problematic to use the "Update Firmware" feature of iTunes with openiboot installed", so there's a new release with an uninstaller:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Awesome proof of concept, and a good step towards functional Linux on the iPhone :)

Chances are that Driver and application writers will have some trouble for some time. After 6-month or so everything will be normal for developers. Developers and users like Iphone than Android phones.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

It's about time we get linux on a phone, and maybe sooner or later; firefox! :) Thanks for sharing. Believe it or not, I wasn't expecting it on the iPhone. I was thinking more of a blackberry. Anyway, this looks very, very cool! :)

One of my friends put Linux onto his 2nd generation 60GB iPod back in 2005-2006. Yes, it was absolutely worthless, and yes it basically did nothing, but it was there, and it was cool. And you liked it.

Wow that sounds so....awesome! :angel:So now we have Linux on PCs, iPhones, Playstations, and pretty soon maybe in our heads! :((Crazy) jokes apart, this is a really good start for the iPhone-Linux relationship and the people behind it are doing a fantastic job. Kudos to you all!

Hi!The Linux-on-iPhone project has been around for quite a while, but what they have yet to accomplish is a stand-alone iPhone that can run Linux. As the touchscreen is not supported, your only means of input to the device is through a USB link to a computer.Apple will definitely not support running Linux on the iPhone. They're running a stripped down version of Mac OS X which itself is Unix based so there's no real benefit for them.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Looks like Apple is slowly turning into another Microsoft - not supporting whatever the customers want! Apple is yet to remove the network lock on the iPhones and now that it knows users want to run Linux, they will definitely not respond positively. Why is the world like this? :(

Hi!@kasperooneyApple has been that way for a long long time. They manufacture their Apple hardware, put the Mac OS operating system on it, and will sue anybody else who uses their own hardware to run Mac OS (Psystar). It's a kind of a package deal that Apple offers and you can't separate the two. You can, however, run Windows on Apple hardware which you wouldn't want to do without at least having Mac OS available in a dual-boot configuration.Apple has always been as monopolistic as Microsoft - it's just that they haven't had much success till recently.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Ho ho yes I was so deeply immersed in thinking about Linux-->Apple that I totally forgot about the Mac - the first PC to operate with a mouse and yet it hasn't been as successful as Windows and maybe not even as much as Linux if I'm not wrong...If only they open their eyes and see how many OS X fans they have they could end up making more money and giving more satisfaction

Hi!@kasperooneyMac OS X has had quite a bit of success, especially after the shock consumers have had with Microsoft Windows Vista. I'm pretty sure it will take something very significant to bring those Apple users back to the Microsoft camp.Pretty much all the graphic designers I know have their own Apple MacBook/MacBook Pro. A couple of developer co-workers run Mac OS X on their PCs thanks to the hackers who managed to get the x86 version of Mac OS X to work on PCs. I saw an article a while back mentioning Apple's interest in a chip manufacturer to move away from Intel processors again to curb the issue for future releases of their OSes by designing them to work only with their processors.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Apple has always been as monopolistic as Microsoft - it's just that they haven't had much success till recently.

And that is exactly what has always stopped me from buying an Apple/Mac and start using it. I'd rather invest time in learning and debugging Linux or tolerate the inefficiencies of Windows, at least in their monopole the Microsoft guys close their eyes when it comes to check who is actually using their software and on which platform. It doesn't matter as long as Windows spreads and more developers are more or less forced to develop applications for it. The spread of pirated versions is also not a big issue to them, I would say that has been their undeclared strategy to make sure everyone was running their OS.

Altough it's fantastic that this is possible I still wouldn't use it, I am posting this from my iPhone and I have nothing to complain about safari. The way they made sure you could open pages in new windows and copy text using touchscreen is truly done apple style, the thing they have allways been best in: user friendly design. I still remember the iPod was on the market and the zenn from creative, Zenn - 20 gig for 200 euros iPod - 4 gig for 220 eurosI bought the iPod, u know why?iPod - 5 buttons ( plus lock ) zenn - 20+ ( if I remember correctly )

What? I didn't know that. Cool news. I wouldn't be surprised if some years from now, even Television sets or even my digital watch will run in Linux or a really simple version of it. It's almost FREE so dollars could be spent with hardware RND and more..