xisto Community
shadowx

A Typical Uk November? I Think Not!

I live in south east uk, about 15 miles outside central london and in the uk generally in november we see the last of the leaves fall from the trees and the beginnings of winter with some wind and rain and getting fairly chilly... Is that what happened this year? Oh no!!October was a very warm month for us, well above average, and then Halloween came by and guess what... we had SNOW!!! Yes SNOW!!!! Even in parts of outer london there was snow on the ground! Ridiculous! Average temperatures are probably around 10-13 for this time of year! And we had snow! Up north and in the Midlands where its considerably colder they had lots of snow, in excess of an inch (2.5cm) Mental stuff!Then november warmed up considerably, being a fisherman i took advantage of this and went fishing a lot! we easily hit 15 degrees and above which is way above average. Its cooled down the last week or so and today, Sunday the 23rd we had more SNOW! The whole eastern and northern sides of the UK have had snow while the western side has had temperatures of about 10 degrees C, the culprit? Artic winds from the artic circle being forced down the country from the north, hitting warm, wet winds from the west giving the cold winds all the moisture they need to cover scotland and the midlands with over 5cm of snow and close some roads. I know in the states you people can get a foot or more of snow (30cm+) but where i live in the UK we are lucky if we see 2.5cm of snow in a year, and typically that only lasts about 2-3 days so 5cm over night in november is quite something! The bookies have put the odds of a white christmas in some cities down to 6/1 and say they have never seen so much money betting on a white christmas so early in the year! Right now its raining and id guess at between 2-4C outside, so the snow has well melted here but up north it should still be snowing and tonight as temperatures dip theres a chance we might get more snow. I love the snow but it puts the fish off with al the meltwater :D wont be fishing for a few days at least :) If anyone is interested it was 120 years since we had snow in october so this year has been quite a roller coaster of temperatures! not to mention the fact we had virtually no summer again :) (i hate the heat! And it made the fishing more productive!)

Well the weather is not so typical here either. It has started changeing so quickly, it is almost quite sad as I remember for example the winter when I was little - and that was great. Right now I am looking outside my window and there is a 10cm layer of snow, but it has started heating up so the huge threes right below have no snow. It snowed for about a day, and snow the snow is hard and awful. It is not fun snow that you can go outside and play in, or skii at. Argh, it is horrible! Snow here is typical in November, or at least it used to be. The past couple of years we have had rain on Christmas eve, and I doubt it will be any different this year.Our summers are... shorter, colder. In general we have more rain and wind all year long (not good for my hair!) and it is making me annoyed. Wow, another thing I currently dislike. I do not like changes. I wish I was 5 again.

I also live in england.... Cornwall... The weather here has been strange. most of summer was rain, and all of the good days were in October. it was similar last year as well...Could this be the effects of global warming?

Down in Exeter I've had no snow, but it has been bright sunshine pretty much every day - definitely in the high teens, maybe even hitting twenty degrees! Very odd for the end of autumn :) Still, I'm not gonna complain - it makes my walk up to the University easier :) I know there have been a few people popping down to the beach at the weekends or on days off, which is nice, even if it makes no sense to go to the beach in November :D

Thats crazy to be on the beach in november! you guys have got the warm westerly wind so you keep warm and all the water condenses above us and rains/snows on us! Still im not complaining either, itll raise the water levels in the rivers and sweep all the weed out of them ready for a winter fishing assault :)Its cool to see the difference between east and west though, east is snow/rain and west is warm and dry!And by the way, exeter is a nice a place! Ive been through there twice on holiday now, once we stayed in a house about 5 mins from the beach and 10 or so from exmouth town, and once we stated in the huge caravan holiday park on the coast just east of the exe estuary. I love cornwall and devon for holidays! Its so nice round there! anyway, im rambling and off topic :)

Well I live in the North Eastern USA. We too had snow here in New Jersey on Oct 28th of this year.
Reason being that we are now in a Enso year. That is between the El Nino and El Nina effects. This happends every so offen.
If you would like to read more on ENSO please go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Hope this helps you to understand it.

I remember last year 2008 Winter, we had snow only on January, same for 2007 Winter, but this year the first snow showed up like before, in the end of October, so for me it's quite normal now..Don't think that weather is static, I think it's natural that the climate is changing, it's not only the global warming and all that stuff what is causing this, it's a natural thing, you don't think that for 1000 years you'll have the same climate all the time? If you would have some kind of a statistics of 1000 you could see how things changed, now we can have stats of ~100 years and it also shows that sometimes it was warmer, sometimes it was colder, so only time will show.. It's normal that changes appear, because earth is moving, it's changing, evolutionary.. continents are moving, even though very slowly, but after every earthquake, something changes, so it isn't only the problem of people whats causing it, it's simple climate changing, maybe after some years it will get colder, due to some factors, who knows, we just guess.

I remember last year 2008 Winter, we had snow only on January, same for 2007 Winter, but this year the first snow showed up like before, in the end of October, so for me it's quite normal now..
Don't think that weather is static, I think it's natural that the climate is changing, it's not only the global warming and all that stuff what is causing this, it's a natural thing, you don't think that for 1000 years you'll have the same climate all the time? If you would have some kind of a statistics of 1000 you could see how things changed, now we can have stats of ~100 years and it also shows that sometimes it was warmer, sometimes it was colder, so only time will show..

It's normal that changes appear, because earth is moving, it's changing, evolutionary.. continents are moving, even though very slowly, but after every earthquake, something changes, so it isn't only the problem of people whats causing it, it's simple climate changing, maybe after some years it will get colder, due to some factors, who knows, we just guess.

I have thought that same thing, just a phase the earth goes through, ever few thousand years.

agreed on the global warming thing, im sure human activity DOES affect the world, but not like what they say...As for the reason for the cold snap i was looking at some graphics of the jet stream. there are two jetstreams, one in the northern and southern hemispheres, they are extremely fast winds, well over 100MPH that travel around the glove as a result of the turn o the earth and such. The one that comes to the UK starts off on the other side of the world and virtually goes full circle and stops jut of the west coast of the UK or sometimes, if its very strong, it stops off the east coast. On the day of snow the jetstream shifted (as it does, its not static) to go north before it reached the UK and swoop down from the Arctic across the UK on the eastern side, and hence bringing the cold weather with it. It went back to its more normal position just after the snow days and hence the temp warmed slightly and is set to warm more by the end of the week.Interesting stuff!