xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Microsoft To Provide Free Anti-virus Software

**waits for everyone to stop laughing so hard**

That is my reaction as well know when it comes to security and Microsoft they know as much as I do and that is sad and as for the headlines about their anti-virus program, code name Morro to be a threat to everyone else, unlikely. If it is anything like Windows Defender then I am glad there are better alternatives out there such as AVG to at least provide some protection and the simple fact that it most likely will be running some sort of windows files I doubt it will take long for someone to crack it open and start providing false alerts or hide their viruses, trojans and worms from this program.

Of course, the next thing about their software is that it won't a resource hog compared to the paid security suites out there, well, I believe that when I see it. Until Morro provides any creditability and some hacker proof then I wouldn't worry to much about it and I do not think to many people will switch over to it in the near future.

Source

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

"microsoft security" is quite an oxymoron, to be quite frank, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so they say. :) for the big commercial AV players (and small independent & free ones), i doubt they'd be needlessly shaking on their knees with the news. hopefully there will be nothing underhanded in this product and it doesn't do things other than what it is supposed to do (locate and destroy malicious software) and turn into a malware itself. :) pray it is not in any way snoopy (adj., aka nosy, not the dog :P) and starts digging into extraneous data on a computer running windows OS. :D

If you think about it, what does Microsoft having their own virus scanner imply? Doesn't it mean that they're admitting to the flaws of their own operating system? Doesn't it mean that, because they know their code better than anyone, they are therefore able to tell the public that there is a new deadly virus going around and the only way to protect yourself against it is by using their anti-virus program without anyone knowing the better? That because they now have an anti-virus program they can forget about making patches to their system to do away with viruses? Or is it that because they've made their virus program free that they are now going to start doing away with as many bugs in their operating system as possible? Whatever the case, the way they advertise can either create and secure a monopoly in the anti-virus industry or cause them to lose that chance.

As many have mentioned,it seems internet explorer isinherently virus prone,unlike a browser like Firefox.I'm very skeptical about any Microsoft free anti-virus software.Right now I can just picture it slowing down the computer even more, andbeing tied in to all kkinds of updates and just not taking care of viruses.

only problem I have in this is 1 thingWidows XP anti virus virus. People that have had it or know of it will see that mirosoft has a antivirus programs and thing No way, its just another trojan like that. :P

They are making this because they are going to add a 'premium' version of the program later on and they are going to sell it at a cheap price (well, when compared to the 'competition') and they are going to make loads of money off of it. Trust me.

Oh.. isn't 'Morro' so close to 'moronic'... ...anyone? :P

Also, the link you provided doesn't work, but with searching I found the right one, this one.

i am surprised to see the word "free" from Microsoft , I thought Mr.Gates dunno the meaning of "Free" but its good to hear that they ( Microsoft ) too are releasing some free products and in this case it is gonna be an anti virus software , so lets hope for the best

Edited by nirmaldaniel (see edit history)

Not to change the subject to much but, I have McAfee witch came with my PC and I just hate it. I dont think it is any good at all. Is AVG the best free one out there? And if so could I get a trustworthy place to download it from? Thank you very much!

Well, It's not bad that Microsoft is creating software to protect it's OS, but still being such a large company, it's really hard to do something, especially for such a large community, it's really hard to work, as there are loads of departments and loads of people, so creating holes or bug fixes which have even more new bugs is quite easy :D So project like this is quite good, but I doubt they will have better antivirus than NOD32 or something like that, because ESET has more experience in creating antivirus software.With my laptop, I got Windows Home Premium and McAfee antivirus, but I also did not like it.

Microsoft arent like that - since Antivirus programs are pretty much DESIGNED for windows.Microsoft are trillionaires, i think they should invest big time in a new architecture. That would make them more popular and more defendable to viruses. X86 has been going on for donkeys years, and hackers and viruses have found every way inside of it possible.

Microsoft Antivirus....Uh...Just based on what every other Microsoft product has done so far, I have the feeling that this program will MAKE new virii.Scenario:You download a file and it has a Trojan virus. Let's call it TrojanA.Microsoft's Antivirus notices that the trojan is there and "accidentally" makes it undetectable to other antivirus.Now you have TrojanB and don't know it.Now you lose all of your passwords, bank account information, and anything else saved on your PC(all was sent to the virus creator).Yay for Microsoft! Thanks for protecting the wrong people!