xisto Community
jlhaslip

Homer And Bart Simpson Have Invaded The Collins English Dictionary Collins English Dictionary

It seems that Homer and Bart Simpson have invaded the Collins English Dictionary ...
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Meh! (know what I mean???)

I only have one word to say to this thread haslip!

Meh......

LOL. I seem to use meh a lot on the internet, but never really that much in the real world. It just seems weird for me to say "Meh" in a conversation. But, on the internet there are a lot of things to reply to with meh in it :)

This is awesome. I've been using "meh" as a word almost every day and I am usually taken aback when someone is confused what it means. Perhaps now when someone argues that I'm making up words I can tell them to go look it up in a dictionary.

Yea, that is kind of funny... I use "Meh" a lot more when writing on the Internet, then I do in actual speech, though I do say it on occasion too. Since it's in the dictionary, can I use it in formal writing now too? I somehow can't see myself doing that lol... But yea, it would be weird if someone asked me what I was talking about when I used the word. I haven't had that happen to me yet :)On another note... I finally found the perfect job for me. Where do I sign up to be the person that chooses the next new word to be added to the dictionary?

Ha jlhaslip you beat me to it, I also saw this earlier today although I never knew that Homer and Bart were the creators of the word. I have never felt the need to say or even write out the word but I know people that do use it on a regular basis. I thought the sentences they decided to use to help explain the definition were funny. I've never actually heard the word used that way before like the examples.

I find it humorous that words like these make it into the dictionary as official words. I'm sure that the creators and the people who use them don't use them in official documentation... but I guess it's possible now. The question is if and how you would incorporate words like "meh" and "ginormous" into technical writing or even a college essay without getting a funny look from a potential reader.Meh.

Hahahah this is cool, I use 'meh' too much when I am online w/ my friends but the more 'techie' ones are never confused by the word. It's not that I'll use it in technical writing from now on, but it's a pleasure to add it to a dictionary and to recommend a friend to 'look it up' when he doesn't know it :)Btw, I don't watch the Simpsons, or I rarely do, and this is the first time I find out that it was first created there (or was it?).

I dont think it should be put in the dictionary myself :)I just dont think slang should be put in the dictionary, espeically not web slang.some people would probably disagree with me, and say its not slang or web slang. But i dont think its a real word...

It seems that Homer and Bart Simpson have invaded the Collins English Dictionary ...
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Meh! (know what I mean???)

In the words of my man Bart, Don'y have a cow, man.

hahaha, that's hilarious what next "lol". Anyways I wouldn't try and use it in a paper or anything because papers are supposed to be formal. That and if your still in school they wont allow you to write God in a paper so Im sure that slang made diction is out of the limits too...although it depends on the teacher. If your already in the business world then sure go for it, but probably not in your resume. meh whatever