xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Priest: No Communion For Obama Voters

First though that came to mind, OMG what a moron and that is why I hate religion. because its religious leaders like this forcing people to do something because of choices they make. Of course, this is what happen when you mix religion and politics together you get those stupid people to say trash like that. I think people who go to church need to start their own revolution because the Church state has way to much power and need to taken down a notch, people shouldn't have to live in fear because of their choices or the fact they are going to hell if they don't pray twenty times a day. Heck I wouldn't be surprise if he has had a few alter boys himself while as a church leader, which I doubt he has I doubt he says anything about those who have and so instead of sticking to one problem talk about all the problems.

SOURCE

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I agree with you SaintMichael, and my personal opinion about this news is that this priest is out of his mind, i am pretty sure of it.First of all, a priest that says things like this should not be a priest, and a priest he is not, because a priest would surely know that everyone has the right to an opinion, that everyone has the right to express that opinion (as long as he/she does not offend anyone with the actual opinion of course), that the act of abortion depends on the woman and man, and sometimes it depends solely on the women (in case of a raping), that everyone has the right and especially the dutty to vote for a leader (in a President, in this case), that everyone has the right to have their personal religious beleaves, that religion is one thing and politics is another completely different, with no relation whatsoever.My first though is that this priest is completely insane to disclosure his thoughts publicaly, to the press, with no regrets and no shame at all, especially with no knowledge nor conscious of what he is saying.If i was his superior, i would work to se that this priest would not be in fact one anymore, because he can not use his power as a priest nor use his position in society to influence people of his political beleaves, he has no right to do it, even considering that he has the right to an opinion and to express it as we all do.My second thought about this priest and its comments was that perhaps this priest is a racist, i mean, forgeting the fact that he said this words about Obama because he supports the abortion, Obama is a black color person, and i saw many racist priests untill today, not only child molesters but racists too.One more thig, concerning this topic, i think this should be on the news forum, do you not think SaintMichael?

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

All hyped up over what one guy said? Concerning opinions and choices, if everyone has that right to have them under the law, then why are you (plural) doing the same thing the priest is? Yes, let us therefore get angry over small things: angry over what one person says to another though unnecessary to get angry or emotional over it. In all seriousness, do you believe people (i.e. the Catholics that this is directed towards) will actually appeal to this? If the believers that this is directed towards are at all politically active (with or without emotions for politics), do you believe they'd care for what one guy they probably don't even know (except perhaps now due to the media) would say about their decision?Indeed the priest commits a fallacy by implying a multitude (since that is to include also those that didn't vote for Obama), but how did this one person become so popular for the media to make public? That page says that he told the Greenville News about it, but how do we know it wasn't the media that was searching instead? This is what i don't like about anger: people feel justified in everything they do when angry. Therefore, rather than concerning ourselves about a suggestion (though the media is trying to make it look like more than just that) that the priest told to the parishioners, concern yourself with whether or not this presidency will at all be good for this country.

I agree with you Saint Michael. I think it's ridiculous how one person is trying to persuade his political views over all of his believers. Yeah, I do understand that Obama does kind of go against what he, and most catholics believe in, but basically he is trying to say if you voted for Obama, you will go to hell, which I myself find it ridiculous.

First of all, a priest that says things like this should not be a priest, and a priest he is not, because a priest would surely know that everyone has the right to an opinion, that everyone has the right to express that opinion (as long as he/she does not offend anyone with the actual opinion of course), that the act of abortion depends on the woman and man, and sometimes it depends solely on the women (in case of a raping), that everyone has the right and especially the dutty to vote for a leader (in a President, in this case), that everyone has the right to have their personal religious beleaves, that religion is one thing and politics is another completely different, with no relation whatsoever.

I agree. I think he was just lashing out in anger, and not really realizing that this is America, but I guess he has his agenda all lined up.

the act of abortion depends on the woman and man, and sometimes it depends solely on the women (in case of a raping), that everyone has the right and especially the dutty to vote for a leader (in a President, in this case), that everyone has the right to have their personal religious beleaves, that religion is one thing and politics is another completely different, with no relation whatsoever.

Yeah I really think that individuals should decide, on the issue of abortion. I mean, I don't think it's right to kill anything, but I also believe that everybody should think for themselves, and be given this option if they so feel it is necessary for them.

When I first read this I wondered how this guy was going to deny communion to people who voted for Obama when we had a private ballot, then I read he just strongly suggested confession before receiving communion. I think this still may be taking things a little too far but everyone has their own opinion. I am Catholic but also OK with Obama as the new President of the United States despite his beliefs. In fact we are supposed to be open to religious toleration and toleration of others' beliefs, even if it is abortion. Therefore I do not think people should be punished for who they vote for as I am sure McCain has some policies that may not be traditional to Catholic beliefs. At least though it is only one priest and not a coalition against it.

God I hate Catholism, not catholics, just the religion and those you take it too literally. I'm sorry priest are you having an abortion. hell I hate religions, if only we could get the every deluded godworshipper to accept athiesm, the world would be a better place. I tollerate religion, doesn't mean I have to like it!

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

i don't see why we shouldn't mix religion and politics together. it is the whole person. you can't just look at one side of the person you have to look at the whole person; their political side and their religious side. they are one person and take 1 point of view not two. so you have to mix everything about people together. if you don't like the person's attitude, their ignorance, and stuff like that but you support the same pollitical party as them you still wouldn't like them. it is the whole person you like not just one part of them. they should make the right choices politically and religiously and some choices just don't match with others. but what that priest has done is his own choice and his right so he is merely exercizing the great freedom of america.

I am catholic and fairly uninformed when it comes to the elections I admit that much. I have just recently heard about this, and to this I will say a couple things... if you search hard enough you can find someone who will say what you want to hear, so yes I do imply that a very few minority of Catholics take this stance. That being said you must look at the totality of the person that you vote for, it is easier to look at a single issue and vote based on that but it does seem an obvious contradiction that the term pro-life can be used by any one candidate due to the fact that one supports war and another abortion. Since that distinction is made then it reveals that both candidates support the loss of life, abortion can never be supported because there is no just abortion. however I don't believe that the war is a valid one either, and I believe that the holy See has addressed this, although I could be wrong...has happened before :lol: .

I believe the reasons that someone voted for either candidate constitutes weather they should confess anything, I do know that in my parents generation (baby boomers) the church recommended confession at least every 2 weeks, now in my generation I find less and less people are faithful to this. Why? lack of understanding. This is another issue in its entirety but I would say that it is never a bad thing to go to confession.

the church will never deny anyone communion unless they are excommunicated (more on this as it pertains to the issue at hand, by a cardinal, here...), and this is a bit of a process from what I understand. It is a recommendation that you don't go to communion unless you are totally free of sin, but I know for a fact that many people fail to do this (including me) In saying this I also acknowledge that receiving communion while in a state of sin constitutes another sin...a sin is anything that keeps you from recognizing Christ or rather anything that destroys your humanity in as much as you can be you. So to sin is to commit an error against yourself, and thus confession is a beautiful thing.

God I hate Catholism, not catholics, just the religion and those you take it too literally. I'm sorry priest are you having an abortion. hell I hate religions, if only we could get the every deluded godworshipper to accept athiesm, the world would be a better place. I tollerate religion, doesn't mean I have to like it!

If you believe this then you cant believe science, they both start from the same point and religion is the thing that affirms science and everything else in life. This is a really big topic but I do believe one priest I know does it justice, if you have time there is a series of 5 clips of Albacete v. Hitchens on YouTube...num 1 is located here he is able to get a few points across on there that strike me as true if you are still interested after that I recommend God at the Ritz (by Albacete) and then search Luigi Guissani for some more interesting points on religion. Edited by xenador (see edit history)

Well, here I go again, being the odd man out. So this priest is an idiot and a moron because he believes abortion is murdering babies? That is his belief, and a belief shared by many others. (not nessarily me, I'm just playing devils advocate here) If that is his belief and the law of the church, than he is not an idiot, but a man strong in his belief, as are many good men. It takes a lot of strength and charector to stand up and make a statement like that in the face of such strong opponents. Wether we agree with him or not, credit must be given for his convictions. I also find it disturbing that while this priest is being trashed, everyone conviently has forgotten Obama's own preacher who stood up in front of his own congregation and shouted "God DAMN America."

Well Wright had his 15 minutes of fame and its funny I don't recall him ever saying anything after Obama won but that is what happens when you get bad publicity such as Wright did. Don't get me wrong everyone has the right to their opinion but keep it to yourself especially when mixing politics and religion because just like me, there are others who do not like politics and religion mixed together. Maybe that is why only one Catholic President has ever been elected because some Catholics like to lay it on thing abotu going ot hell and sin and forgiveness etc etc.