xisto Community
kobra500

Computinghost Regression

I'm going to come right out and say it. Xisto - Web Hosting has regressed tenfold, yes we have the new mycent system but the new plans well... they're a joke, what cost me $35 a year ago would not cost me $80 under the new logic plan, and thats without the unlimited mysql, domains etc. I don't want unmetred bandwidth and space so it will have to be the logic plan. What I wan't is the old plans, where you pay a SET price for a SET plan with unlimited features and a varying amount of bandwidth and space depending on the plan, the logic system charges $10 dollars for 4 mysql databases for example.I'm sure I can keep my plan next time it comes to renew but I quite wanted to upgrade from the freedom package I bought to the one above but under the new system I can'tThe new MyCent system is great... except I'm perfectly happy to pay real money for my hosting but I'm not interested in all the restrictions, why couldn't mycent be introduced to the old hosting that way I could pay for my hosting and domains from that, instead I will have to save about $120 from mycent instead of about $55 over the course of this year. thats over 100% increase for less features and to me ?16 is an easy amount to pay, ?40 is not.I just dislike the new Xisto - Web Hosting I feel that Xisto has progressed but Xisto - Web Hosting has regressed.

As someone who never actually pays for their hosting (and with free hosting available, why should I bother if I don't use it all that seriously?) I can't really say that I can see from your point of view. Naturally, I can understand that some people don't post at all and instead pay for their hosting, but my simple argument for that is that if that's what they want to do then why not go and find a company that offers a better paid service (i.e. one that doesn't happen to also be the best free host around)? I'm not saying that Xisto is by any means a poor provider of decent paid hosting, I just think that the focus should really be on the flexibility it offers.

Sure, although I haven't actually looked at the figures, assuming that the packages are now, say, twice as expensive as they used to be for those who pay for their hosting out of their own pocket, the fact that you can cut down the amount you have to pay from anywhere between not-at-all to completely by posting on the forums. Sure it comes down to how much time you have available to devote to keeping up with the posting to keep your myCENTs up, but remember that you can always supplement anything you don't quite meet with a little boost from PayPal or similar.

This is all assuming that I'm not missing something and that Xisto - Web Hosting offers different services from those available to us here on the Xisto/Xisto forums...

It's not so much that I mind paying more for the hosting, what I mind paying for are things such as unlimited database and parked domains etc which should be provided free, otherwise I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the new plans.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

But be honest: do you really need that many databases/parked domains? The fact that you're making a small fuss about it tells me that you'd at least like them, but are they really that necessary? Failing that, why not register the unlimited (within reason) hosting plan (if I remember rightly it's called the Ideal Plan)? Pass as to how much that costs, but I assume it's at least in part what you're referring to when you talked about the boost in price.

With the recent changes, I'm more than happy to give Xisto time to settle down and sort itself out with the new system before trying to comment too much on the price of the hosting plans. I mean, we've barely had a chance to get through the first month so far, nevermind see how the prices compare further down the line...

why not go and find a company that offers a better paid service (i.e. one that doesn't happen to also be the best free host around)?

i agree with kobra to a certain extent and i will answer that question for you. although technically the webhosting and trap are two diferent entities entirely, i would rather support webhosting that brought us this community. it's as simple as that. when i began to love Xisto, i began to love the work and dedication on the backend including the vision with incorporating Xisto - Web Hosting xisto which i wanted to eventually incorporate Xisto - Web Hosting as my domain and hosting providor. it's not really a matter of finding the best host. hosting is a dime a dozen.

so to post something as kobra did, it's making a statement so that maybe something has been overlooked in the changes that needs to continue to be incorporated.

i personally like the two plans but i think two plans are limiting the needs of others. those who can't afford or need unlimited everything and those who have a hard time picking and choosing what they want or those who just don't know the different of anything to pick and choose(computer/internet illiterate...or semi).

Well I would think that if members are making honest posts like kobra did and a lot more of them it would seem xisto will listen and they usually do take member suggestions and what not. I would think that after MyCent has completely been incorporated and at least 90% bug free I think OpaQue will concentrate on Xisto - Web Hosting and make it a lot better. Although I did here from a known source that there are plans to add a few more hosting packages to MyCents, but I do not a time line for that and so I would wait out the Xisto - Web Hosting side of things for a few months and see what happens.

Although I did here from a known source that there are plans to add a few more hosting packages to MyCents, but I do not a time line for that and so I would wait out the Xisto - Web Hosting side of things for a few months and see what happens.

goodie goodie! can't wait! :)

I disagree. I was with Xisto - Web Hosting for about 3 months, and did indeed like their 3.33/month plan. But, by saying that, I love how with Mycents you are now able to pay for some of your hosting bill with posts, and some of it with money. This makes me want to post a lot more, and helps me pay my monthly hosting bill. Now I can actually afford something like a VPS for 20/month, whereas without Mycent I wouldn't be able to sustain 20 on my own. Now, I'm most likely going to post half of what it costs for a VPS, and pay the other half via paypal or credit card.And Kobara, seeing you have almost 400 posts, you most likley made around 9 or 10 dollars via Mycent for all of your past posts. This means it most likley saving you some money for your hosting plan, which is still the same as it was before.

Yea, seeing that things like the unlimited databases and email accounts (which were 99 I think before) have been taken away didn't make me too happy either, and sort of worried me into switching to the new system. But since it is a mandatory switch, I've decided to go for it today. I can understand limiting some of the features, but to a single database seems a bit much to me. There are lots of things that are available to use in the cpanel, like forums, guest books, galleries, blogs, and that kind of stuff that each take a new database to use. I had a few of these things used experimentally on my Xisto site (not really fully live, just playing around with them to see what I could do), but when I signed up for the new logic plan, I've had to either delete these or pay up extra dollars for it. Since I wasn't really using them right now anyway, I decided not to pay the extra, but if I did have several of these things on my site it would really hike the cost up for something that I got for free before. That part I didn't like. So, I deleted the few databases that I had been messing around with. I was hoping to implement some of these fully in the future, but for now, I guess they'll remain on hold.Now, it's not something that makes me want to leave Xisto - Web Hosting, because I think they are a great company and offer excellent value and service for my dollar, but it puts a bit of a sad spin on things to see an extra price tag being attached to some things that were not being restricted before. That being said, I'm also really really happy to see the extra features that you can order now to boost your website. Things like extra space and bandwidth that weren't available before now on the free subdomains can be easily purchased for a little extra money. That I think is amazing, and makes me really happy.I can understand the need to limit features like databases, but I also doubt that most people came close to using all of the ones that were available to them. So in the end, it probably evened itself out at a much lower number. But still, if you are going to offer many Fantastico programs inside our cPanel, perhaps the default limit for databases should be raised to 5 or 10 instead of just one, because just the one doesn't allow the average person to get the benefits of trying out the database applications on their website without shelling out the extra cash before hand. It's great to have these Fantastico features, but without a certain number of databases available, you can't really use any of them.Sorry for the rant, I still really like idea of the new system :) And thanks for constantly trying to make your services better.

Yea, seeing that things like the unlimited databases and email accounts (which were 99 I think before) have been taken away didn't make me too happy either, and sort of worried me into switching to the new system. But since it is a mandatory switch, I've decided to go for it today.
I can understand limiting some of the features, but to a single database seems a bit much to me. There are lots of things that are available to use in the cpanel, like forums, guest books, galleries, blogs, and that kind of stuff that each take a new database to use.

I had a few of these things used experimentally on my Xisto site (not really fully live, just playing around with them to see what I could do), but when I signed up for the new logic plan, I've had to either delete these or pay up extra dollars for it. Since I wasn't really using them right now anyway, I decided not to pay the extra, but if I did have several of these things on my site it would really hike the cost up for something that I got for free before. That part I didn't like. So, I deleted the few databases that I had been messing around with. I was hoping to implement some of these fully in the future, but for now, I guess they'll remain on hold.

Now, it's not something that makes me want to leave Xisto - Web Hosting, because I think they are a great company and offer excellent value and service for my dollar, but it puts a bit of a sad spin on things to see an extra price tag being attached to some things that were not being restricted before.

That being said, I'm also really really happy to see the extra features that you can order now to boost your website. Things like extra space and bandwidth that weren't available before now on the free subdomains can be easily purchased for a little extra money. That I think is amazing, and makes me really happy.

I can understand the need to limit features like databases, but I also doubt that most people came close to using all of the ones that were available to them. So in the end, it probably evened itself out at a much lower number. But still, if you are going to offer many Fantastico programs inside our cPanel, perhaps the default limit for databases should be raised to 5 or 10 instead of just one, because just the one doesn't allow the average person to get the benefits of trying out the database applications on their website without shelling out the extra cash before hand. It's great to have these Fantastico features, but without a certain number of databases available, you can't really use any of them.

Sorry for the rant, I still really like idea of the new system :) And thanks for constantly trying to make your services better.

I do understand partly where you are coming from. In terms of the amount of features paid clients might be using, yes I know that this is very noticeable. But, I think in the long run it will help Xisto - Web Hosting out. Think about it, the Logic plan basically lets you buy the features you need, and let's you let go of those that are not needed. In other means, you are only buying what you need, and you know for a fact that CH is not overselling. (Not saying they were in the past, but just making a generalized statement here. ) Also, let's say you are running low on cash, and really need to keep your hosting up. Well now you have the option to post for the reaming funds so you are able to catch up with your payments, and not get your account suspended. So yes, I do feel you are losing some features if you are a paid client, but in the long wrong I think Mycent is the better system that Xisto and CH can use.

Yes, we have lost few features that we thought it was the best for free web hosting service. And we have gained features that would not have been possible to obtain using our old credit system.I am like any of you--I was happy to have unlimited database and plenty of add-on domains from my Xisto old hosting plan. Although I didn't use to the fullest I like knowing that I have them just in case I need them, someday. But sometimes that's restricting resources that will never be used fully.I am also glad that I am able to purchase domain names and other higher hosting plans, such as VPS, with my unused credits from the past. At times I was wondering what I was going to do with 400+ hosting credits... Now I have 3 domains I purchased with myCENT.So we win some and we lose some. And keep in mind this at all times--myCENT is earned free by participating in Xisto forum. I know we all cannot post like some members around here who can earn high myCENT amounts. I already see some members struggling to make just enough posts to cover their monthly plans. I cannot promise you it will be easy but what I can say is that it's all fair at the end. For those who do spend the extra time contributing meaningful posts earn just enough to purchase hosting plans according to their need. For those who are looking for quick hosting with very little effort soon find out their myCENT value is just not enough to pay the invoice. I feel like Xisto - Web Hosting has changed too fast and it's not what it used to be. But perhaps I am resisting the change myself. I would like to give Xisto - Web Hosting few more weeks to straighten out few things. Once that's over let's comeback to this topic and really point out the faults. But in the meantime, contribute, contribute, and contribute! :)

So we win some and we lose some.
I feel like Xisto - Web Hosting has changed too fast and it's not what it used to be. But perhaps I am resisting the change myself. I would like to give Xisto - Web Hosting few more weeks to straighten out few things. Once that's over let's comeback to this topic and really point out the faults.

i don't think it's about resisting change. but you are right. we win some and lose some.

the older users of trap benefit with the changes more than the new users. the new users will have to post for a few months for hosting now since they would have to buy a domain or have one already. it may discourage new users. in fact, i'm sure it will. on the flip side, it is helping people get a domain very easily and within a short period of time.

to compare me with a new user, i consider myself to be an average poster so i'm good to compare to. after signing up with with mycents, i have gained approximately $3 in 1 1/2 months. so for an average user that wants to purchase hosting with mycents, it will take them an average of 6 months before they ever get hosted with the bare minimum plan.

so this goes back to my point a long long time ago and i hope people heed my words now than ever before. don't post because you have to. post because you enjoy it. it will make time go alot faster and you wont always be looking at how many mycents have added up when sometimes they can add up slowly. for the new members, just try to enjoy your time here and before ya know it, you'll not just have free hosting, but a top level domain name that you own. this is lot better than any subdomain that you could have had in the past. believe me.

for the older users, we can pretty much afford hosting right away. or a few domain names. good for us. not really any drawbacks to that

but this was really about Xisto - Web Hosting and and not so much mycents. Xisto - Web Hosting has limited their plans to a pick and choose, or unlimited features(without abuse). if everything is give and take with changes, i don't see the real positives of having two plans over....say....3 more added plans.

reason why i started a thread originally about Xisto - Web Hosting and why i post in this thread about it is because i strongly feel it would not hurt Xisto - Web Hosting and would benefit the users more. me personally? sounds silly, but i'm like a kid in a candy store sometimes when i am reviewing plans. i love to see what is offered and scour through it and find a perfect plan before i choose one and dedicate a goal to purchase.....and still....it's like christmas waiting until i can afford it. the anticipation and knowing what i want and my objective.

now i'm not rich or anything. i live a very low income and limited lifestyle. christmas is coming up and i usually get some money for christmas. i know personally, one of my objectives and goals was to purchase a certain plan from Xisto - Web Hosting before they took it away. so that was depressing. i was planning on starting up another website soon. something that has been long overdue since my time has been taken away with other things the last couple years. i like the unlimited plan, but can't afford it really and really don't even need it. i like the pick and choose options but when i pick and choose what i need....i'm uping the bandwidth one or two levels, uping the subdomains to 50 rather than 5. i definately need more than 1 database so uping that to at least 5. i forget the other options i would add. when it came down to it, i would be paying almost the same amount as the unlimited plan so it really doesn't do me any good to use either plan

why i say there should be two or three middle ground plans.

one other thing. since we incorporated mycents in to this thread, i would like to see a change in how warning levels limit someone. i feel when you have a warning level, it should affect any increase in mycents rather than affect the dollar amount mycents was converted to. i feel once mycents is converted to $ credit at the main xisto site, you should be able to purchase anything you want wether you have a warning level or not as those credits have already been earned when one never had a warning level. i think it's more fair to limit the increase of mycents when there is a warning level. it accomplishes the same purpose but doesn't discourage anyone fully after being satisfied in the credits they've built up but can't use. in other words, i feel that once mycents are converted in to $ credit, it should be totally seperate from trap.

and buffulo help- you are right in the sense that most people do resist change :) these changes are new for all the older members and i'll be the first to say ya can't please everyone. but for me, i don't think it hurts to speak openly about certain things because if enough users agree, there can be other changes for the better as well.

Well i asked this question before in credit3.0 thread,but i'm not satisfied with answers so Asking here looks more safest place.(I'm Xisto - Web Hosting user, so please answer my questions w.r.t terms/conditions of Xisto - Web Hosting) :)1) is there any chance that i can get mycent for my domain/hosting account @Xisto - Web Hosting ?2) PlanA/B/C are no longer active, so how can old customers merge with Logic plan if they paid for older plans already? as price of old plans are much higher than Logic, isnt it?Hope to get answers from here.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

that's actually a good question and i would ask their live support or email support directly or create a support ticket for your question. but it's such a good question that any answer should be posted for all Xisto - Web Hosting members.

Well i asked this question before in credit3.0 thread,but i'm not satisfied with answers so Asking here looks more safest place.
(I'm Xisto - Web Hosting user, so please answer my questions w.r.t terms/conditions of Xisto - Web Hosting) :)

1) is there any chance that i can get mycent for my domain/hosting account @Xisto - Web Hosting ?

2) PlanA/B/C are no longer active, so how can old customers merge with Logic plan if they paid for older plans already? as price of old plans are much higher than Logic, isnt it?
Hope to get answers from here.

1) is there any chance that i can get mycent for my domain/hosting account @Xisto - Web Hosting ?

Yes, If your E-mail address at Forums & Billing/Support Area is Same, then you automatically Earn myCENTS for your forum posts (including your past posts)

2) PlanA/B/C are no longer active, so how can old customers merge with Logic plan if they paid for older plans already? as price of old plans are much higher than Logic, isnt it?

Plan A / B / C will continue running for old members.
Their invoices will be generated on YEARLY basis.

If your Xisto - Support account has sufficient myCENT (credit balance), your invoices will be marked PAID automatically and you need not pay further using you credit card / paypal.

Incase, you have little Credit Balance, then whatever may be your balance, it will be credited to the generated invoice in system and you will be asked to pay only the remaining amount. For Eg., You have $5 in your credit balance and at the end of the term year, you get your invoice of $9.95 for Plan A. Your myCENTS will be credited to invoice automatically and you will have to pay only $4.95 using your CC.