xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Domain Names This really makes me MAD

I have been a memeber of Xisto since march of 08 and I have had my site on other hosts since early 07. Today I was about to breakdown and get a real domain name, and found out that that the name of my site is already taken by a blog. and catch this! dealing with weather here in NJ and PA!this really "Beeps" me. mainly because there is nothing that I can do about it. When I came up with the name echo of thunder that name was not being used. True I could just uses echoofthuner.com but I know somewhere down the like people would be confused between the two site. I really am at witts end here. I would hate to see my blood pressure now thats for sure. I try my best and what happends? I get shot down in flames.

This is one of the problems with domain names. Almost all common names are unavailable. And when it comes to 4 letters or less almost all combination of those are unavailable. This is because many people had already bought them. Thet registered almost all popular names(atleast .com). Reselling of domains is a very large business in internet. They will offer these domain names to you at very high cost. Even some domain name searching sites are doing this. When you search for a new domain and if its available then it is better to register righnow. If you don't chances are when you try it after few days..you'll get a message that this domain is already taken. Because, if that name looks nice these bad sites registering it for themselves and reselling it for high cost. This is really really bad. I faced this situation. :lol: Just google for it and you'll get lot of details about it.

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

yeah... that really annoys me. it's impossible to get a decent domain name nowadays because they're all taken by people who just buy tons of domain names and auction them off to the highest bidder. I guess the best way to go is to come up with some obscure domain name that's kinda a word and build your empire off of that...like, say, google. :lol:

i know what you mean. the other day i set up a myspace profile for Xisto. but the profile address https://myspace.com/browser Xisto was already taken by someone who probably doesn't even know what Xisto is! he has no reference to Xisto or anything like that at all. so i had to get https://myspace.com/browser
trap17space
. by the way please visit this site if you can.

I have been a memeber of Xisto since march of 08 and I have had my site on other hosts since early 07. Today I was about to breakdown and get a real domain name, and found out that that the name of my site is already taken by a blog. and catch this! dealing with weather here in NJ and PA!

this really "Beeps" me. mainly because there is nothing that I can do about it. When I came up with the name echo of thunder that name was not being used. True I could just uses echoofthuner.com but I know somewhere down the like people would be confused between the two site. I really am at witts end here. I would hate to see my blood pressure now thats for sure.

I try my best and what happends? I get shot down in flames.

Yeah I know where you're coming from. Basically, if you want a really unique name, it's almost impossible to find that with the .com extension. I've basically just left the alone for now, as most any good domains for .com are taken.

I suggest going to the new TLD, for example .net, .org, .biz, ect. Even .info isn't that bad. I've learned that people really do not care about the extension your domain has. As long as you are using a TLD, and do have a site that is worth visiting, then you should be alright :)

I have run into the same problem when looking into designing a site and I end up having to recreate the name or look for an abbreviated version of the name. People know that there is going to be sites of the same name but they should realize it if they go to the wrong site. Like the others mentioned try looking for a different TLD type or if possible think of a new name or a way to abbreviate to make it more unique.

I agree we can go for .net, .org or anyother TLDs, but .com is the best option. Because most people think of the .com if they want to go for some website. And also most of the browsers will automatically go to .com sites if the user entered only the name without extension.

To say it clearly, suppose you have http://www.afternic.com/forsale/SomeName.net?utm_campaign=tdfs_namefind&traffic_id=Namefind&traffic_type=TDFS domain. But most of the users will type http://www.somename.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t by mistake. So they will go to that site instead.

And coming to browsers issue, if suppose the user typed somename in the address bar and hit enter most browsers will take him to http://www.somename.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t. So you lost here also.

If that somename.com providing different content there is a chance that the user will try for other extensions. But what if the somename.com providing almost same services as your somename.net. You'll lose your visitors. So, .com is always a preferable one.

No, I am not saying .net, .org extensions are waste. What I'm saying is .com is better than those, atleast for most of us who can't spend money on advertising our site.

But a small suggestion. If your website is providing service or have content specific to some country, then going to the country code TLD(ccTLD) like .us, .uk, .in etc... is best option. They'll give some what assurance to the visitor from that country and also better search engine ranking in that country.

So, choose your domain carefully. Prefer .com's, try for different but meaningful combination of names. If no choice left then go for others TLDs. :)

But we have to remember one more thing. Content of our site is more important than all these. Content Is King :)

Wow, what a bummer. Sorry you missed your site name. I was lucky, I got mine some years ago, and was able to get a really good one that is easy to remember, pup4u.com I figured then that I was pretty lucky to get it. Everybody and their dog has a web site and it gets really tough to find a good name. Did you check Thunder echo to see if it's taken? At least it's close.

Personally, I'm bummed by the fact that I have to manage my domain names on two different sites. It really makes me feel uncomfortable--it doesn't feel like there's a link between my two accounts. And the switch to myCENT just confuses me. Ah well. I'll figure it out eventually.Just as soon as I figure out how to transfer myCENT to my Xisto account, I'll register http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I don't want to end up like you, Echo_of_thunder. My deepest condolences, especially because the domain is taken for something so stupid...EDIT: Finally figured out how to host...'tis good. I'll submit the request now.

Edited by amarti64 (see edit history)

Personally, I'm bummed by the fact that I have to manage my domain names on two different sites. It really makes me feel uncomfortable--it doesn't feel like there's a link between my two accounts. And the switch to myCENT just confuses me. Ah well. I'll figure it out eventually.
Just as soon as I figure out how to transfer myCENT to my Xisto account, I'll register http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I don't want to end up like you, Echo_of_thunder. My deepest condolences, especially because the domain is taken for something so stupid...

EDIT: Finally figured out how to host...'tis good. I'll submit the request now.

Happy that you figured it all out. Slowly I am too. Just transfered from Xisto sub domain to Xisto. Not a bad deal if you ask me too at $1.95 USD a month. GL to ya

Another thing i hate about domain names is the ones you registered, like for example my old domain name, dotidot.com, then some easy money hunters will forcefully register dotidot.net, dotidot.org and spam you with emails insist you to purchase those names @ 19.90 annually.Name conflicts is common as there is millions of people and surely a few of them have the same thinking as you and have the same opinion over name decision for domains. IMO, there is nothing to be mad of but settle on other name instead.