xisto Community
christophertran

I Hate The Prices Of Apple Computers.

If only the Apple's didn't cost so much i would of bought one. This sux. I need to start developing apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch but i need a core 2 mac. EH. Doesn't anyone wish that they were cheaper? I know that they are better quality and the OS is solid but t should be a but more affordable.

Well you see thats look at apples target audiences: People who cannot use computers and therefore don't know what there paying for is over priced.Designers: People and companies who need them for industry so are willing to pay the amount.Thats why they overcharge, because they can!

If you compare a Mac to the equivalent specification PC, the Mac is ridiculously overpriced. Why? They appeal to people who are willing to pay for a name. When you buy an Apple product, a large percentage of the price goes on the little plastic apple logo on the case. Why do you think they don't let their OS be installed on other hardware? If they did, people would be able to sell computers with the Mac OS much cheaper than Apple do.Now that I live in a city, there is an Apple store just up the road from me. I am genuinely interested to see what arguments the salesman puts forward for why they are so much more expensive than the equivalent PC.

I will admit that apple stuff is overpriced, I am a Mac user and love everything apple, except the iPhone (which I don't have) and I really think its a matter of 'you get what you pay for'

iLife (Garageband, iMovie, iDvd, iPhoto and iWeb) All pro looking but easy to use apps, iChat
iTunes
Bootcamp (lets you dual boot and run windows)
Mail.app (something that rivals Microsoft's good email app you have to pay for with office)
Automator
Dictionary
iCal
Spaces (fancy looking virtual desktops)

I could list the bucketloads of features you'll probably never use, but these are the main things. Imagine going out and buying everything you get included (These are approximate pricings and what you would probably pay for in simmilar third party software)

Garageband($50+), iMovie($50+), iDvd ($15+), iPhoto($10+) and iWeb($30+) All pro looking but easy to use apps, iChat ($15)
iTunes (free)
Bootcamp (Nothing but convenience, yeah you can dual boot any computer)
Mail.app (how much do you pay for outlook)
Automator ($30)
Dictionary
iCal ($20+)
Spaces ($10+)

Yes you can probably get freeware programs that work fine, but not quite up to the standard of these apps.

The iPhone is overpriced though, not the mention it is the first of its kind, i am sitting tight until something majorly awesome comes along that will blow the iphone out of the water, probably from nokia or the gPhone

I'm getting tired of people hating on mac when they don't understand fully why they are priced so high. They can charge what they like because they designed a good product. A regular PC equivalent of speed and capacity would be much cheaper but you don't get OS X. They are packaged in a much smaller Unit and are much more durable. Have you seen some laptops that are just so thick and flimsy compared to a mac? That's what I'm talking about they are cheaper but they are because they aren't built like macs. The idea that macs where purposely designed to be over priced and aimed at people who don't know jack is not true. Can you imagine how stupid a person would look to even try and propose such a marketing strategy? They are made for people who wish to own macs and use the great OS X that comes with it. I wanted a mac because it was different, I was sick of windows but to my surprise it was so stable and ran all my design and coding applications well. I don't get memory leaks like you do in windows I can have my laptop running for days and weeks and never noticed any slow down.If there wasn't Apple there would be another company doing what Apple does. Someones got to cater for people who want quality computers with a nice OS, Hardware and software packaged in a sexy way. You guys make it seem like we only use macs because we want to be different. Its true there may be a few people who think or care so much about the way they look but there's also people who use macs and love them for just that.

I need to start developing apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch but i need a core 2 mac.

I do not see how not having a Mac prevents you from making the applications you so require to make. But if it is a need, then you'll just buy the Mac regardless of the price tag anyway.

Well you see thats look at apples target audiences: People who cannot use computers and therefore don't know what there paying for is over priced.

Running off of comparison like rvalkass started, even if you don't compare Mac computers with PCs found in stores or with custom built ones, you are still left comparing the price tag with how big your wallet (or purse) is. So i do not think that it is the case that these people are ignorant, but rather they don't care.

I'm getting tired of people hating on mac when they don't understand fully why they are priced so high. They can charge what they like because they designed a good product. A regular PC equivalent of speed and capacity would be much cheaper but you don't get OS X.

I don't think I hate the Mac, and I don't deny that it's a good product. I just don't think it's a good value product. It's true that you don't get OS X with a PC, but you don't need it. If you put Linux on the PC then you have exactly the same reliability and stability, and you can get all the eye-candy too. On top of that, all the software is completely free, in both senses of the word.

They are packaged in a much smaller Unit and are much more durable. Have you seen some laptops that are just so thick and flimsy compared to a mac? That's what I'm talking about they are cheaper but they are because they aren't built like macs.

I don't think I've ever really found a 'good' laptop that is built worse than a Mac. Also, Apple's build quality isn't all that great. iPods, for example, are notorious for breaking just as the warranty runs out, and my friends have had countless problems with their Macbooks.

The idea that macs where purposely designed to be over priced and aimed at people who don't know jack is not true. Can you imagine how stupid a person would look to even try and propose such a marketing strategy? They are made for people who wish to own macs and use the great OS X that comes with it. I wanted a mac because it was different, I was sick of windows but to my surprise it was so stable and ran all my design and coding applications well. I don't get memory leaks like you do in windows I can have my laptop running for days and weeks and never noticed any slow down.

All the same advantages are available with Linux. I agree Macs do them well too, but I just can't justify the huge extra cost in my mind for something that I can get for free! If Macs had a massive advantage over Windows and Linux then I could see a justification for the cost, but right now they don't have any massive advantage.

Well if you have ever built a computer and I believe a few have, most of the time its the name brand as most of the hard you find in most computers you can get dirt cheap. Again Apple has been playing this game a long time and that is why they will always be number 2 because they seem to have some interesting quirks about their products. We all remember that Iphone incident in which people who got the IPhone early were screwed out of a lot money when they downgraded the price tag for that phone. Of course, I blame apple for that crappy OS from the 1990s as those were most bugged up OS during the time.

apples are very expensive. but that isn't the reason why i use windows. windows is easier to use and most games and programs are made for windows. recently they make more for apple and windows but still. also you have a much bigger choice for hardware if you use windows. you have toshiba, hp, compaq, dell everything. so you get a cheaper price.

Just Yesterday I was in an apple shop and Dammmmm those prices are serious over rated yet they look good and feel good them apple macs but surely they dont have to have such a crazy price tag. I mean windows makes just as good PC's but the are not as heavy on the purse. Then Again I guess Ipphones and Ipads are expensive and they know we'll buy em still because they are great products and have a very stable OS. Why cant Microsoft make a stable OS to compete with MAC not these clones of Mac mixed with Windows that they are pushing into the market and only to find that they are highly unstable like VISTA turned out to be.

Just Yesterday I was in an apple shop and Dammmmm those prices are serious over rated yet they look good and feel good them apple macs but surely they dont have to have such a crazy price tag. I mean windows makes just as good PC's but the are not as heavy on the purse. Then Again I guess Ipphones and Ipads are expensive and they know we'll buy em still because they are great products and have a very stable OS. Why cant Microsoft make a stable OS to compete with MAC not these clones of Mac mixed with Windows that they are pushing into the market and only to find that they are highly unstable like VISTA turned out to be.

The Apple Macbooks are by far the best laptops in terms of their speed and all. They are expensive but nothing else compares to them.

I personally don't have one because I don't need that much power (and therefore have no reason to spend 2k on one) but I have messed with them before.

I have had experience with Macs. They feel so easy to use, and most programs now come in apple mac compatible. I was just thinking the other day if i could install apple OS on my PC without having to fork out the high prices of a MAC. I have seen those Windows skins whick change everything including the logon and boot screens to the Apple ones and I think the software apple use is less problem prone compared to Windows. I loves the way the screen quality of everything on Macs looks. It like Mac Brought HD quality before even HD existed lol.Its a bit wierd that they have such high prices seeing as they release new OS systems every year or two and its hard to like stay uptodate with the latest software version unless of course they are like apple Iphones which sort off get updated added to the app store and then it tells you new software upgrade and youo download and install normally for a few quid (couple of dollars). What I love is the way they make their products unique. They have a team who sort of brainstorm new ideas and tries to make them a reality wheres Microsoft seems to look at the market and say hmmm whats in these days oh its 3d looking pictures lets make our backgrounds like that on the next Operating System we release and change the 5 inch floppy to the one Apple is now using on theri Macs. Wheeras Apple seems to think hmm what new think can we make and they say how about a touch sensitive mouse and lets try and a scrolling glassy bar with programs where you click instead of the start bar thingy. Then they work on that and make it a reality. few years later Microsoft is thinking hey why didnt we think of that. no wonder they cant charge an arm and a leg they are followers not leaders. Theres even a rumour that the original Itouch was presented to Microsoft and they said it wouldnt sell and the designers took the idea to Apple who said we'll try it and ofcourse whats this years biggest christmas gift hmmmm microsoft must be wishing they took the idea just think how much they could have sold it for and made shed loads profit.