xisto Community
saitunes

Windows Users & Ie 7

I feel sorry for windows users, sometimes. I find with many of their products the inconvenience outweighs the purpose. Take for example Internet explorer 7. I was using it at work the other day due to my web browsers not working properly with a newly built online registering system. It does not display properly in firefox, and the 'frame' needed only shows the first line of it. So I connected to the server and logged in Via Remote desktop connection (microsoft for mac) which worked fine. It displayed exactly as I wanted it to, full screen in true colour. I Opened up portable firefox which had the same problems with viewing as did the mac. So next I opened up Internet Explorer 7. Go to the site, click on the enter button which is Javascript and opens a login box. Click, nothing. Click again, still nothing. I ask the ex-IT guy / manager for help. Add it to your 'trusted sites' and refresh. I do, and it opens. This is another page in the same domain. This page is based in Flash. Nothing displays. As the Ex-IT guy for help once again. Add it to your trusted sites and refresh. I do, it works. I click on the button in the flash front end to launch the page to register the stock. it does nothing. I call the Ex-IT guy once again, he says 'add it to your trusted sites and refresh again, and turn off the popup blocker for this site too' So I do and I finally get in and start doing the work I was supposed to be doing all this time. One problem (other than the time it took) is Why is it so hard? Why must I add every site I visit to the 'trusted sites' list If It has Flash or Java in it for it to work properly? I know security and the pop-up blocker I can understand, but it needs a slightly more obvious 'pop ups are being blocked' message. Take the bar that firefox uses, the bar that IE used to use.This is just one of many reasons I would take Mac over Windows any day. I don't mind the operating system. I would prefer third party apps over many of the built in ones. QMP over WMP, Firefox over IE 7 unless there are major glitches, I have to admit you can't beat MS office. But to be honest IMHO thats all Microsoft has going, since they've pulled the plug on XP. I've got all the copies i need. Dell, Acer & Toshiba OEM discs thank you (for working on my comps).

Edited by saitunes (see edit history)

I don't like osx, i don't like apple and i dont like macs, but i do see why some people prefer OS x to xp or vista. I just don't understand people who actually buy macs, macbook maybe because they're quite stylish but you can, (though not legally) install os x on a pc, and you can't argue that macs are better than pc's because they just aren't for starters they're both computers, they work in the same way, have the same parts, the only difference is that pc's cost less, are more compatible and have more and cheaper parts, you can save so much money by buying a pc over a mac, and dual booting is always useful, that way you can use microsoft xp/vista and os x as well as a version of linux.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

I agree with kobra on this one. Apple hardware is way too expensive, it's like about twice as PC hardware at the same performance. And this is because there is no competition with Macs, there is only one manufacturer, so prices will keep being ridicously high.IE 7 is not that bad. I'm working as a software developer, I'm doing some web developing too, and after a day of testing things in multiple browsers, when I go home I use IE. It does start faster than Firefox, you can feel it's lighter, taking less resources.I admit it has some unintuitive things. For the problem you mentioned, your ex-IT guy should have told you to change some security settings.

Any problems with frames displaying incorrectly means that the website developer didn't do his job. While it is frustrating to build websites for multiple browsers, it's still something a designer has to do. As for the security settings, those can all be changed. If you are using it at work then they probably have modified your security settings for a reason. Any problems you have with security settings are not a problem with IE7 itself, but are just what the security is set to do.

I won't use I.E AT ALL. I still have a fairly old version on my computer, and totally disregard I.E at all costs. Currently, I have chrome FF, and Opera so I.e isnt anything that I'm interested in using.BUt, I will say I love Mac's. I think they are much better than any Windows product, and it they are so much more user friendly.

I mostly use FF (version 2 and 3) and sometimes Safari (win version) and Chrome, I've never installed IE7. Unfortunately I find that still many websites, especially the ones that provide public services, are designed solely for IE... they won't display things correctly or won't work at all in FF! I understand that sometimes those websites may have been designed a few years back when IE was the norm, together with a few Netscape users but I sometimes notice the same behavior for newly designed websites, just as the initiator of this topic reports...Official statistics say IE is still the most widely used browser and that's why designers think about it first but I wonder if that's really true, I mean 90% of the people I ask to say they use firefox and don't even want to hear about IE, maybe I just know very anti-conformist people? I think one reason could be that occasional internet users, like the ones that only use it for booking air tickets or vacations, are likely to use IE as it comes with all Windows installation and they don't even bother installing FF... so it is a safe bet to optimize these sites for IE, more advanced users will be ready to open IE if they notice something is not working properly on the site they are using.

Any problems with frames displaying incorrectly means that the website developer didn't do his job. While it is frustrating to build websites for multiple browsers, it's still something a designer has to do.

I agree with DeM0nFiRe about these frames issue. It is the web designers job to make that site as much as compatible.

Of course, as he told, it is very very difficult to make a site compatible to all browsers. But if you read any book or tips on web designing almost all of them will tell you not to use frames.

I had never used Internet Explorer. I have been using Opera since I started using Internet. Never faced any security problems with it. But some websites needed IE so I give it a try for those web sites and that was my first experience with these security issues. When I tried to open a page, I got a message that IE had blocked the content(ActiveX) of the page to save me(? :lol: ). These messages annoyed me very much and I kicked away Internet Explorer. If I use IE, that is only to test the page of my

site (we need to do this, because most innocent people are still using IE :D )

I don't think Microsoft is really Interested in IE. Thats why every new version of IE failed. May be in future Microsoft will buy some reputed browser in the market, rebrand it to Microsoft and bundle it with all new versions of windows ^_^

(Microsoft did it with many times for different products).

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

I think the problem may lie in that particular IE configuration, sounds like either that site is an untrusted site by Microsoft or the browser is set to only allow trusted pages.IE does have its disadvantages, as does windows. But due to the amount of software not yet supported by mac, its often impractical to use a mac, or any other OS.

I believe that the most used browser is FireFox 2.x if you count different versions (FF2 v FF3, IE6 v IE7) as different browsers. For all IE versus all FF it's just about even now, I believe.HOWEVER, so far none of the reasons anyone's mentioned here to not like IE is a viable reason to not like IE. You just don't like IE because the developers for a lot of sites didn't do their job, that's not IE's fault. Some good reasons to hate IE are things like the fact that IE is a resource hog, with the exception of IE <6 (I use FF2 and IE6) The fact that FF works on any browser while IE is only for windows, that's a good reason to not like it.

Let me understand. First you say:

I had never used Internet Explorer. I have been using Opera since I started using Internet.

And then you come to:

But some websites needed IE so I give it a try for those web sites and that was my first experience with these security issues.

I love it when people contradict themselves in the same post :lol:

And if I'm at the criticizing part of my evening...

I believe that the most used browser is FireFox 2.x if you count different versions (FF2 v FF3, IE6 v IE7) as different browsers. For all IE versus all FF it's just about even now, I believe.

No, you're terribly wrong. You can check the market shares on Wikipedia, they are from independent sources, all saying about 70-80% for IE.

The fact that FF works on any browser while IE is only for windows, that's a good reason to not like it.

FF works on any browser? =)

So FF works on IE too? That's nice... I understand why you love it now.

Well myself I do use IE 7 6 FF of the three I do like IE 7 running on XP. Much like FF with the tabs and less add ons. Been thinking of downloading the bata IE 8 for a check and see though.

windows and internet explorer 7 are good. its simple and easy to use and macs cost so much. macs are quite uncomfortable and anoying to use. its probably because i'm used to windows but still some games and programs are only for windows which can be anoying for mac users. also mac uses microsoft office they use windows explorer for mac and stuff like that so they might as well just use a windows!