xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xpress

Firefox Extensions, That You Must Have.

Here are some very very useful extensions for your firefox browser...They can make your online experience easy...

1. Session Manager

Continue your browsing session even after a system crash, or just next startup....It restores your last viewed tabs or windows.

Inbuilt in Opera....Hope FireFox will also make it inbuilt.

2. Adblock Plus

Really very useful extension. Blocking almost all annoying ads...I am very happy with this extension. With this extension, you

can surf internet without ads. And automatic updater extension Adblock Filterset is also available. It periodically

updates new advertisements and blocks them. Must have extension.

3. WebMail Notifier

Yes...its working.....You check your gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and some other mails without logging in. It will automatically checks time to time for new mails, and notify them to you. And it can check multiple accounts of the same mail provider....For example you can check multiple gmail accounts at the same time.

4. Speed Dial

If you use Opera you know this extension and how useful it is. You can access your favourite websites with a single click.

It will show you nine thumbnails of your favourite websites for every new page you open. You can even see the preview

image of the website. Just click on it, and the website will be opened.

5. FireFTP

Now you can access FTP from the browser itself. Very handy and useful. Run this extension and access your files through FTP

without an external client.

Try these extensions and you'll never leave them. I will add some more later, if I found any useful extensions

I like the video download helper addon, great for downloading movies and music, i use it all the time and the quality is great, if i want to watch a movie i just download it the night before and without any inturuption i can watch it ragardless if internet peoblems

I am a big fan of WebMail Notifier because of the fact I can open up all my email accounts all at once with a single click of the button, just to bad they don't add more email accounts to it such as the ISP email accounts and what not. I have been using FireFTP on and off for a year or so for quick fixes but other then that I have been using Dreamweaver's built in FTP for my website needs.

Copying ideas from Opera FTW! :P

Seriously, Opera has everything you mentioned here except something to match with FireFTP. You mentioned the session manager and the speed dial, but Opera also has a great AdBlocker - which they call 'Content Blocker' and you can download custom urlfilter.ini files like this one.

And for the webmail notifier, Opera includes a full email client with support for IMAP and POP and although it doesn't support checking Yahoo! or Live Mail because they don't offer POP3 for free, you can manage and send mails from any other mail account that you have IMAP/POP3 and/or SMTP access to.

A couple more good ones that you may find handy:

NoScript

Blocks JavaScript, Java, and Flash on non-trusted sites, to help block out malicious websites (such as those with 100 JavaScript alerts upon exit), and alerts you to cross-site requests, to ensure your security on the web.

(note: I don't use this because I'm on Chrome, but I've heard good things :P)

IE Tab

Some web pages are designed for Internet Explorer. This add-on allows you to embed Internet Explorer within your Firefox browser at the click of a button (you can also set websites to automatically render in IE), to stop the need of changing browsers for those IE specific web-pages (even though I haven't seen any in a while).

Copying ideas from Opera FTW! :P

Opera also has a great AdBlocker - which they call 'Content Blocker' and you can download custom urlfilter.ini files like this one.

And for the webmail notifier, Opera includes a full email client with support for IMAP and POP and although it doesn't support checking Yahoo! or Live Mail because they don't offer POP3 for free, you can manage and send mails from any other mail account that you have IMAP/POP3 and/or SMTP access to.

Yes, Opera has Block-Content option. I'm using it. But it is not as much user friendly as firefox extension AdBlock Plus. Adding filters in Opera is very difficult for a novice user. And we have to do it manually. But with AdBlock no need for that. There is another addon Adblock Filter Updater which updates the filters every 2 to 3 days. So no more ads...very user friendly... :D

Webmail Notifier is also very very user friendly than any mail client. We know how difficult it is to setup a new pop3 up account

in mail client and the procedure changes with mail providers and clients. But no technical knowledge needed for WebMail Notifier. Just you have to enter your username and password. Thats it. And it works very very fast. :P

But Opera is my favourite browser anyway...No matter how many extensions Firefox introduces, Opera will be my first choice for browsing... :P

A couple more good ones that you may find handy:

NoScript

Blocks JavaScript, Java, and Flash on non-trusted sites, to help block out malicious websites (such as those with 100 JavaScript alerts upon exit), and alerts you to cross-site requests, to ensure your security on the web.

(note: I don't use this because I'm on Chrome, but I've heard good things :P)

IE Tab

Some web pages are designed for Internet Explorer. This add-on allows you to embed Internet Explorer within your Firefox browser at the click of a button (you can also set websites to automatically render in IE), to stop the need of changing browsers for those IE specific web-pages (even though I haven't seen any in a while).

Thanks for the additions. I too heard of these but haven't tried yet. I'm using another extension User Agent Switcher when any website warns about compatibilty issues or needs a specific browser like IE...It is working nice. But Integrating IE to FF with IE Tab is looking good, I'll try. Post if you know anyother good extensions..

Man, these extensions kind of make me want to move from IE to Firefox now...Sadly as far as I know there are no extensions for IE, but then again I didn't know there were add-ons for Firefox either.Now, some of those would be redundant for me, but still, that means that there's even more!

Sadly Internet Explorer has extensions it just that Firefox extensions are a lot better and more customizable. The only IE extension worth getting is the IE7 Pro extension as it add a few more features for customization but again IE extensions are so limited to what you can do and others you have to pay for which is even lamer.

Really great but it lacks one add-on, web developer toolbar.

It's really great when you're learning html, css and javascript. When something goes wrong you can just look up why it's not working.

It lets you disable styles and/or javascript. It validates html, css and javascript(there's some holes in the validation system but it has all that you might need when you're a novice coder)
link to download page: https://addons.mozilla.org/fi/firefox/addon/web-developer/

Baniboy: Firebug is a great web developer's tool. You should check that out and see if it suits you.

NoScript will block everything anyway, so running AdBlock in conjunction is rather redundant.

I would like to recommend the Download StatusBar just because the Downloads dialog box is rather annoying.

StumbleUpon is a great time-waster. I'm not sure if this would be the best add-on to throw into the mix of recommendations, considering the fact that you can spend so much time just finding the best of the Internet. :P

Greasemonkey is also a great way to fiddle with pages by adding bits of Javascript, so a web-savvy user can, let's say, bend things to his or her will a wee bit.

Sadly Internet Explorer has extensions it just that Firefox extensions are a lot better and more customizable. The only IE extension worth getting is the IE7 Pro extension as it add a few more features for customization but again IE extensions are so limited to what you can do and others you have to pay for which is even lamer.

If someone is willing to download and install extensions for Internet Explorer, why don't they download and install firefox or some other browser? That will give much more power to their hands, I think. :P

Really great but it lacks one add-on, web developer toolbar.

Baniboy: Firebug is a great web developer's tool. You should check that out and see if it suits you.

NoScript will block everything anyway, so running AdBlock in conjunction is rather redundant.

I would like to recommend the Download StatusBar just because the Downloads dialog box is rather annoying.

StumbleUpon is a great time-waster. I'm not sure if this would be the best add-on to throw into the mix of recommendations, considering the fact that you can spend so much time just finding the best of the Internet. :P

Greasemonkey is also a great way to fiddle with pages by adding bits of Javascript, so a web-savvy user can, let's say, bend things to his or her will a wee bit.

Those are nice addons. Actually I'm concentrating on addons that everyone can use without any technical knowledge, thats why I ignored many other addons.. thanks baniboy and rayzoredge for adding them.

If you want other developer addons....here are some

LeetKey A very helpful addon to convert static text other formats like Base64, Rot13, L337, Hex, Bin etc... very interesting aswell...

LiveHttpHeaders You can see the live http headers(all header information like user-agent, OS etc..) with this addon. Helpful when you want to see what the script sending from your computer to remote server.

UserAgentSwitcher Switch your user-agent different popular browsers. It is similar to "brower identification" option in Opera...

These are very helpful addons for developers, I have been using them for long time, really excellent. Try them. :P

If you want to look at must have extensions then you should check topics I made about various Firefox extensions I used and or have.

Dream Package #1
Dream Package #2
Dream Package #3
Dream Package #4
Dream Package #5
Web Analytics

I use NoScript to block ads and I find it works really well. Firebug is a great for developors and coding etc. I find it very useful. Another one of my favourites is "Screengrab" which I find really good for screenshotting entire web pages (great when I want to show other people my layouts)ColorZilla is also another good one that lets you determine the HEX colour codes on any page, or just finding any color codes. FireFTP is a good alternative to filezilla as an FTP client (it's convenient because it just opens in firefox and has pretty good features)They're the main one that I use... I might have to try this Webmail notifier, I didn't know about it and it sounds perfect for me. Thanks :P

Reading these addons just makes me think that....What runs our internet websites? The advertisers paying the website owners for running their ads, right?With the ad blockers getting to be so widely used, soon ads will be obsolete, and then what are the website owners going to do? They will end up going out of business because of it. Without income, how can they afford to run the sites?:PI know this is probably a far-stretched thought, but regardless over time the situation will get worse and worse, and I honestly believe that it can possibly become a reality in the future.

Link alert adds images at the mouse pointer indicating the file type (zip, txt, doc)Menu editor lets you remove the unwanted menus.Firegestures allows you to configure mouse gestures to perform various scripts.Flashgot allows you to download any media content (like youtube).Foxmarks synchronizes your bookmarks and passwords.iMacros can be used to automate tasks.Greasemonkey, and Platypus which allows you to dynamically create greasemonkey scripts.Show Picture, similar to IE's show picture.Add to search bar lets you add any text box to the search engines so that you can use it if firefox doesn't detect it.That's all folks!