xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Suggestions For Version 3 Of The Credit System

Although its been a long time since it was first announced that a version 3 of the credit system was announced to various people. This topic gave me a great idea and a reason for this topic. That is what would you like to see in the version 3 of the credit system, let it be updates to current features or new ideas post them here and give details as to why you want this change or to make an update to the credit system.

Not to take from saitunes topic about this, but sending an email or a pm that persom is about to hit 0 credits is a great idea and I would say that when a person hits 5 credits they get a reminder that they need to post to get more credits. Then when they hit 0 credits they are sent a email or pm that their account is suspended and that they need to start posting again or after 30 days their account will be terminated

Which leads into my next suggestion, I know there are a lot of accounts with more then -30 credits and so what I suggest bring that limit back and terminate their accounts, because trying to make up -50+ credits is a huge task that will take awhile for someone to get their hosting account back and this also frees up systems resources as well.

By now everyone is familiar with the manage page and so I leave this open end question and that is what can be done to improve that page as well. So think about can be done to improve the system to make it run faster and more efficient and of course no crazy ideas like earning credits in the shoutbox, we asked, it won't happen :).

EDIT:

Another idea that just came to me from the boss himself and I know this one was talked about for a long time and that is earning credits based on topic views and topic replies. Of course to add to OpaQue idea and I know it won't fly is set it up to do a recount of the forum and then add the credits according to all the topics that have been made, imagine the huge spike of credits everyone will have because of that :P.

Like I said though I doubt that suggestion will fly because a lot of those credits would be wasted to members who are no longer here and of course the fact everyone would have ton of credits and odds are stop posting. However, on the other spectrum of this idea I think a rate of .05 credit per 5 or 10 replies would seem reasonable to that. Of course, the interesting part of this would be to how not to count the original posters replies in that equation since that person could just spam their own topic to get those credits.

Notice from truefusion:
Moved from Alerts and Notices

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

May I ask a question? Probably not, but I will do it anyway. Why is that that the more credits we have the less we get per post? I have never understood that part. If a person manages to create a topic that gets a lot of replies and starts a discussion that it good. Good idea. But the amount of credits should also be based on how good the replies are? Many topics have hundreds of posts. For example "What is your favourite colour" would probably get a lot of short replies, and the answers would not probably be very good. And no, I have no new ideas.

You can ask questions bluebear and as for your question the number of credits you receive is based on your post count and of course what member group you are in. So maybe that is another idea and that we get rid of the post count rules and make everyone on a equal playing field while still keeping the member group credit rule intact.

May I ask a question?

No.

Probably not, but I will do it anyway. Why is that that the more credits we have the less we get per post? I have never understood that part.

So you don't make 2,000 credits and then not come back for 2,000 days. Obviously, it's better if you keep coming back every few days so you stay up-to-date with all the latest developments etc...

If a person manages to create a topic that gets a lot of replies and starts a discussion that it good. Good idea. But the amount of credits should also be based on how good the replies are? Many topics have hundreds of posts. For example "What is your favourite colour" would probably get a lot of short replies, and the answers would not probably be very good.

And no, I have no new ideas.

So you get x% of the credits gained in total by the repliers. That sounds pretty complicated to me, not to mention the fact it will encourage people to link-drop their own topics (ie spam).

The key to a good system, in my mind, is to keep it simple so I have no new ideas.

On a side note, how did you manage to start a new topic in this forum? Even I can't do that :P

:)

On a side note, how did you manage to start a new topic in this forum? Even I can't do that sad.gif

They likely pressed the "New Topic" button at the top of the page. Works for me... :)

The miracles of science electriic ink :), but anyway that was the main concerns when OpaQue mention about awards credits for replies and stuff and of course thats why I mention about how not to award credits to that persons reply while still earning credits for his or her post.

Here's an option...An ability to "pause" your account, i.e. Your hosting account basically gets suspended but isn't terminated... After a set time the account becomes "unsuspended" During suspension, you don't lose any credits and to make it so that people won't abuse this feature don't or slowly get credits (i.e. only 60% of what you'd get for a 100 words or so).Also another idea... To increase Xisto's popularity maybe install the "Army System" modification for IPB and let the members play and maybe the highest-ranking person is exempt to the credit deduction rule or something.But the thing is... I would much rather a "account suspension" since I don't really need my website right now and I'm very busy trying to keep my account still active. The only problem with terminating my account is that I still sometimes use my account to test things out on a live server so I can't termainte it... :)

Well I can tell you on that Army system, that created havoc with Xisto 4 years ago because of how many people were playing and the glitches that were coming from it and sucking up resources as well with all the data that is saved as well. That is why IPBgaming.com was formed, although, it was long since dead and the people that were expecting join from Xisto to this site for the army system was because of how many people stopped leaving altogether.As for the pause feature it seems to make sense, although the first feature of not being able to earn credits would make the most sense. Although there would be one problem them, if you have good site that is getting a lot hits and is well index you be losing visitors and getting your website booted out. Either way there are some interesting idea's being brought but still looking for thought so keep them coming.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

If a person manages to create a topic that gets a lot of replies and starts a discussion that it good. Good idea. But the amount of credits should also be based on how good the replies are? Many topics have hundreds of posts. For example "What is your favourite colour" would probably get a lot of short replies, and the answers would not probably be very good.
And no, I have no new ideas.

I think that wouldn't be a problem, what kind of replies you get to your topic, if the system for replies would be based on the normal system for posting.

How I would imagine it to be, you would get, say 1% from the values of the replies in your topic, and not something based on how many they are. So, if a reply is good and gets more credits, you get more credits.

And that might be even easier to implement now than another counting idea. When somebody submits a post, he gets, for example 2 credit points, and in the same time 0.02 credits (1%) goes to the starter of the topic he posted in.

And the initiator spamming in his topic... That wouldn't also be a problem........ He would get only a bit extra credit, and if he would manage to keep the discussion in the topic alive, that would be a good thing for Xisto, as it would bring more and more content. That's the idea after all.

But anyway I think this 'credits-for-replies' would be overall a good thing for trap.

[sidenote: so, Saint-Michael, you started this topic because the system is already applied? :)]

Interesting topic....

But we need to understand that the credit system is OpaQue's brain child and can be coded, configured and handled only by him. Credit system 3 too will be coded by OpaQue and no one so we might have to wait for a bit before it comes online..

Now coming to the ideas :-

Not to take from saitunes topic about this, but sending an email or a pm that persom is about to hit 0 credits is a great idea and I would say that when a person hits 5 credits they get a reminder that they need to post to get more credits. Then when they hit 0 credits they are sent a email or pm that their account is suspended and that they need to start posting again or after 30 days their account will be terminated

This is a good idea and am sure will be possible as a similar feature is used for Feedbacker (Iguest) where a guest is send an email with the link to the topic.

Like electriic and SM said, we do not want any spammers coming here posting one liners and then teleporting to another dimension. The main reason that OpaQue had tweaked the Credit system in this way is because he firmly believes in nothing but quality. Quality posts = Quality hosting. Spammers do not get hosting.. well except for one spammer I guess :)

There is no point of a forum if there is nobody to participate in it, It would merely turn into a bank where you deposit/withdraw your money and then never visit it.. Xisto was designed to provide knowledge and encourage friendship through quality :P

An ability to "pause" your account, i.e. Your hosting account basically gets suspended but isn't terminated... After a set time the account becomes "unsuspended" During suspension, you don't lose any credits and to make it so that people won't abuse this feature don't or slowly get credits (i.e. only 60% of what you'd get for a 100 words or so).

An excellent and very useful idea but the most difficult to implement as it would involve a LOT of coding to make sure that credits are not deducted, to automatically suspend upon the click of a button and so on..

Instead of that I can always recommend that you deposit all of your credits in your bank(manage page) and then send a support request mentioning the period of inactivity and your login details. We will make an arrangement so that your site is not terminated but simply suspended..

I just had an idea... :)What if there was something that allowed you to 'refresh' your hosting account? i.e. Get new subdomain, etc without terminating your hosting and everything on it...I mean it'd be a good idea and save the trouble for people to backup everything on their hosting account, terminate their account and get 10 or 30 credits again and re-apply for hosting. This idea relies on the fact that all it does is 'rename' the hosting folder for the user...And another idea... Xisto probably already is the world's best free web host but why not make it better by making more hosting packages and allowing the user to switch between them (i.e. If a user has a very good website running, they should be able to choose a hosting package that with maybe around 20GB bandwidth, 300MB HDD, etc and takes 2 credits average every 24 hours), and other plans to more suit what the users need (i.e. 0.5 credits average every 24 hours but only 100MB Bandwidth + 20MB HDD) etc And having the fact that users should be able to switch plans with a selection of a radio button, a check of a checkbox and a click of a 'submit' button...It would seriously increase Xisto's popularity because if Opaque decides to make the different inter-changeable hosting plans then Xisto will not only be the best free web host around in the world but probably also be the most customizable host in the world!

Another Idea that has come to mind is fixing the loss of credits when a person gets accepted for a free hosting account. that has always plagued Xisto because everyone was caught off guard when they lost a whole bunch of credits and so what I recommend is that instead of just losing all the credits they lost the exact amount of credit i.e. if they had 50 credits and get a 30 credit hosting package that person will have exactly 20 credits left.Also csp4.0 as far as I know that is near impossible to change your domain like that.

<br />Another Idea that has come to mind is fixing the loss of credits when a person gets accepted for a free hosting account. that has always plagued Xisto because everyone was caught off guard when they lost a whole bunch of credits and so what I recommend is that instead of just losing all the credits they lost the exact amount of credit i.e. if they had 50 credits and get a 30 credit hosting package that person will have exactly 20 credits left.<br />

<br /><br /><br />
That idea is flawed in itself because then so many users will abuse it. Because non-hosted members don't lose credits each day, they could just build up alot of credits (i.e. 500 or so) very easily, apply for hosting + domain and BAM! They don't have to post for 320 days and all that hosting space is wasted...

I have a few suggestions for the new system, I didn't read everyone's replies so I apologize if I've stolen yours in advanced.- Email notification when your credits drop to 3 days- Email notification when your credits drop to 1 day.- Some code to display your Credit post externally, so people can have them on their forums to let their forumers know how long the forum is up for.- Donation system, whereby someone else can pay for X amount of credits and it is sent to you as soon as possible. (This might of been done already, not 100% sure)- Toolbar to be added to your web browser,with your amount of credits you currently have, which increases and decreases in real time.- Extra credits from Mods and Admins rating, if someone posts an interesting article written by them, Mods and Admins can rate it and the higher, the more credits award.- More competition where credits are award, like picture of the day. Where you currently see your credits an advertising box, advertising these latest events.- Forum ranks for Hosted members, after each promotion they get X amount of credits.- Some way that people get more credits for posting each day rather then posting 1 day, then leaving it for a week then posting again the next.Thats all I have at the moment, when I get more I'll post again.

- Email notification when your credits drop to 3 days- Email notification when your credits drop to 1 day.

Email notifications are quite a popular idea, but it would encourage people to leave and only return when they got the email, rather than keep checking back every couple of days. You could pretty much kill the community overnight.

- Some code to display your Credit post externally, so people can have them on their forums to let their forumers know how long the forum is up for.

I can't see many people using that on their sites. Personally, I think it would worry my visitors if they saw a notice on my site saying it would only be there for X days :)

- Donation system, whereby someone else can pay for X amount of credits and it is sent to you as soon as possible. (This might of been done already, not 100% sure)

You can already buy credits if you really need to:
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/572-mycents/

- Toolbar to be added to your web browser,with your amount of credits you currently have, which increases and decreases in real time.

Problems with compatibility, and people to maintain them. It would take a lot of work to make toolbars for Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari, Konqueror, etc. that worked on Linux, Mac and Windows, and would require a lot of people to look after them. It would also discourage people from visiting to check their credits, and cause a massive increase in bandwidth as the system kept checking.

- Extra credits from Mods and Admins rating, if someone posts an interesting article written by them, Mods and Admins can rate it and the higher, the more credits award.

Could be seen as biased or opinionated. There would have to be some form of definition of "interesting" or whatever, and that would be very difficult to write and follow.

- More competition where credits are award, like picture of the day. Where you currently see your credits an advertising box, advertising these latest events.

A good idea. I know many members already run their own competitions for credits every so often, but some form of forum-wide, forum-run competition for credits on a regular basis could be good. It would certainly encourage people to participate and return to the forums.

- Forum ranks for Hosted members, after each promotion they get X amount of credits.

The only problem I can see is spam. People could spam post until they get past the border and into the next rank, to earn the extra credits. If it could be coded so that credits were deducted if you dropped a rank too, then it would work, and really encourage people to post more.

- Some way that people get more credits for posting each day rather then posting 1 day, then leaving it for a week then posting again the next.

Could be difficult to code, and would encourage lots of spam by people on the same day, to earn more credits for each post.