xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

The World's Strangest Laws

I nearly died after seeing this article after laughing so hard and they list quite a few of them but I pick my favorite ones.

- In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants � even, if she so requests, in a policeman�s helmet.

That one really got me going, but odds are that there is a counter law about that kind of exposure unless they do it in private somewhere. Either way I would dare someone to take that law seriously and turns a cop's hat into a potty :).

In Victoria Australia, only a licensed electrician is allowed to change a lightbulb.

Just stupid but as a law biding citizen I will make sure people are not doing it :D, although talk about making serious money in changing light bulbs though :P.

In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

After all these years the Irish, English and the Scottish still hate each other, thus the reason this rule is still in effect :P.

In Texas, USA, criminals are still required to give their victims at least 24 hours oral or written notice giving details of the crime they are about to commit.

Only a stupid criminal would do that and think they wouldn't get busted afterwords for it.

In Iowa, USA, it is against the law to kiss for more than five minutes.

That means most of Iowa could go to jail for that one.

In Tremonton, Utah, USA, it is still an offense for a woman to have sexual intercourse with a man in an ambulance. She can be charged with a misdemeanor and have her name printed in the local paper.

Now is that because they are on duty or the fact this can't be done while rushing someone to a hospital, a bit confuse :D

In Chico, California, USA, the law says that anybody who detonates a nuclear device within the city limits is liable to a fine of $500.

That means I can get away with murder, terrorism, billions in destruction, thanks :P

In Florida it is illegal to have sex with a porcupine.

Why would you want to unless you live in Washington and a guy can get freaky with anything under 40 pounds (animal wise).

In Burma it is illegal to get internet access. If a person is found in possession of a modem he can be imprisoned.

I hope the government is following that rule.

In Alberta a released convict is entitled to a gun and a horse to ride out of town on.

I think haslip said he was in jail for a while :D.

Okay, now this was amusing! XDThe most funny is the Texas law, although completely expected of a place like Texas, that was just completely hilarious! Would they spare the criminal if he/she did abide the that law? How, pointless is that? It's funny that people can even come up with stuff like this but then I forget. They're just Human. :)And then on the Iowa one, how does it make any difference at all? The funniest thing would be, "You can't have sex for more than 7 minutes." Again, sheer pointlessness.

"In Alberta a released convict is entitled to a gun and a horse to ride out of town on."

Thats good stuff lol
heres one

Kansas United States - Prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

These laws are funny.- It England, it is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses. That ones just common sense. -It England, it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down. What if it was the letter upside down and not the stamp?- In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle. Here in Toronto 10 percent of people drive blindfolded.It must be legal.

Funny as hell thanks for the article. Some have some reasoning if you search really hard but:

In Iowa, USA, it is against the law to kiss for more than five minutes.

What the hell is that all about, why would such a law be emitted, can't find any reason. I think that the government there or what they have are really bored and a lot of time on their hand or maybe in the past they wore thinking that you can take AIDS if you kiss for more than 4:59 minutes. It's something like the 3 second rule.

LMAO! that is the best laugh I have had in a very very long time, But yea so many states have laws on the books that they never have removed. one such law is in the city of Jackson Ms. Not sure if they have finally removed it or not being that I live in New Jersey now and have for the last 10yrs, but they law stated that it was unlawful to drive your automobile down the main street. Reason being it would scare the horses. So many of these ( blue laws) are still there, and I feel sure that that list is just a few of the more stupid ones. great laugh though.

In canada The World's Strangest Laws

in canada, its illegal to ride a moose backwords down the right side of the sidewalk monday from 6 to 7pm

Here's another weird law:

-In Texas, the compete Encyclopedia Britannica is banned because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Psh, like people don't do that anyway! And the person who was brilliant enough and rich enough to own the Encyclopedia Britannica in Texas wouldn't need that formula...They'd just buy Budweiser if they were thirsty enough!  

-reply by Badass_Texas_Chick

In England, it is illegal to eat mince pies on christmas day,

Dated back to when puritan Oliver Cromwell was in power, he belived mince pies were too   pagan,

In england, It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you doNot want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do notMind him knowing

Not sure were this one came from, but effectively, as long as you don't mind the taxman knowing everything about you, you don't have to tell him anything about you,

In england, In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store,

Now ive been to many tropical fish stores in liverpool, no such luck,

Admittedly they are all English laws, but hey, I'm English, we've got some of the most ridiculous laws around, in fact the most ridiculous I think is that in the city of York, its perfectly legal to kill a scotsman, as long as he carries a bow and arrow, except on Sundays, when he must also be drunk,

Oh by the way, the pregnant lady and the policemen helmet, completely true and valid law, regardless of where they are, its from the early 1900's I think,

Combine two infamous English laws to find that pregnant women in England are untouchable by the law lol: A police officer may not arrest you unless wearing their hat, BUT a pregnant women has the right to relieve herself in the police officers hat! So if you're a pregnant lady, who has just broken the law ask for the hat, have a piddle in it and the officer may not arrest you lest they put the hat back on /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley9.Gif  Have fun with that guys lol!

Surfer_gal x

When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone. (This sounds familar)It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.It is illegal to milk another person's cow.A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed. (This is just STUPID!)The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home. (I never knew that!)The Bluebonnet is the official song of the state flowerIt is illegal to sell one?s eye.A program has been created in the state that attempts to control the weather. (What'd I tell you!? Next, they'll outlaw gravity! Just see if they don't!)It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster.No person shall inhale fumes from model glue.One needs permission from the director of parks and recreation before getting drunk in any city park.It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday. (Uh...Correct me if I'm wrong...But it's the same thing.)It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator.It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo.Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights.-reply by ninja

I cant remember what state this was from, but it was illegal to be arrested on the 4th of July, isn't that like getting arrested twice and once?

It's ALLOWED for girls ( possibly boys ) to riot and protest naked if they are between the ages of 14 and 17 /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley14.Gif 

-reply by AlphaWolf

I learned about this one when I was studying Criminal Justice. In Lethbridge, Alberta Canada there is a large Hutterite community living in the rural areas. On Thursday?s they come into town. In the 1800's they made a law that it is illegal to shoot a Hutterite on a Thursday. Any other day is fine though. :blink: