xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inhuman

1 Terabyte Of Data On A Thumb Drive Yes, a whole terabyte

Source
Seriously, this is innovative. I can't wait for them to produce these...though you know the sellers are gonna jack the hell out of the price. In any case, I can only wonder what this will mean for desk top and laptop computers. I mean if they can fit a terabyte in a thumb drive with this technology, think of how much they can fit into a normal comp. Think of how much music that would hold....how many games you could fit.....the possibilities are almost literally endless.

That is pretty incredible. I am still using my 1gb drive :D I am pretty excited to see some solid state storage drives. Those are supposed to be the new thing in the future. With portable drives that large, pretty soon you can just have baseline computers with networking, vga, etc. and people can insert their thumbdrives and boot up their respective OS with files, settings and all. You can take your computer almost anywhere. Im sure they already do that stuff in asia haha.

Well I can see this in two ways, 1 a waste of money because there is no way you can max out a standard PC hard drive of that size, unless of course your Microsoft size. Of course, talk about misplacing that flash drive somwhere and can't find it for weeks and having your most important stuff on there. Of course I see a interesting thought, It will replace the 2.5" hard drives and make computers even smaller and all they would have to do is find a way to reduce the size of the motherboard to make it even smaller then it is now.Of course, the worse part is these flash drives are going to be like $700-$1000 when they first come out and so anyone stupid enough to buy one are as stupid as buying the Iphone on ebay for $4000.

Of course, the worse part is these flash drives are going to be like $700-$1000 when they first come out and so anyone stupid enough to buy one are as stupid as buying the Iphone on ebay for $4000.

You kidding? $700 to $1000 is dirt cheap for a 1-TB thumb drive. I'd say at least $10,000 for one drive. I mean, think about it. a 2-GB drive costs about... $60, now multiply that by 500.

You kidding? $700 to $1000 is dirt cheap for a 1-TB thumb drive. I'd say at least $10,000 for one drive. I mean, think about it. a 2-GB drive costs about... $60, now multiply that by 500.

That isn't the point. The point is, its going to cost a ridiculous amount for something that is very unnecessary. I'm pretty sure that I would never need 1 TB of storage in my life.

Correction, it is a solid state flash drive, so $10,000 does sound about right as 50-60GB of solid state is a few hundred dollar by itself. Either way, my point still stands that anyone stupid enough to buy it; although, solid state data storage is quite a new idea especially the fact you could pack more into into these devices.

ahh next yhear there is nehelem and in 2 years dude its going to be crazyThis surprises me at first, but when I thinka bout it, its just the beginning2 years petabyte harddrives and *BLEEP*

It seems that now. some computers store up to 3TB accross a RAID.But "solid state drives" have appeared. It seems that manufacturers have started to focus on the speed and reliability now that they have developped such large storage devices.

Solid state drives have unbelievable performance.. just imagine a thumb drive outperforming a normal harddisk ;)possibilities are endless but if u are ready to spend. I would buy it if or when its under $1000. Its great to have a lot of storage.My 500 GB is almost full, so I am pretty confident that i can fill up a 1000 GB as well ;)

haha. My brother just got back for china where he bought a 500gb thumb drive for just 15 dollars. Terrabyte should be within reach pretty soon.

(OMG) oh my god! i can't wait until i get my hands on one. it is like one of the best things in life. i dont care how much it cost i will buy one for sure! even if its 10000...are they even out yet?but it is most of the time best for a while after they come out becasue they will be expensive so wait a while and then u would be able to buy it for much cheaper:)

1-TB ThumbDrive1 Terabyte Of Data On A Thumb Drive

For the person who said they wouldn't be able to use 1TB of space.. All I have to say is that for me at least, I had 3, 1TB Hard Drives in my computer, and 1TB I am using for music, I have 997GB of music on that drive, now I am not bragging, but I am saying that it is easy to go through 1TB of space. Now granted it took me roughly 3 days non-stop downloading to get the music, it is pretty easy to go through this amount of space. The other 2 hard drives one being a network drive which is being used as the default hard drive for my laptop, and my brothers computer, is about half full, The other hard drive which is strictly for my personal use only, is for my computer, for any downloading or anything I do on it, which has 3 different operating systems on it, each with roughly 300GB of space partitioned for them. Again I'm not bragging but I am just saying that it is easy to go through so much space and not even know it. Now I know you were talking about yourself not being able to use so much space, but I just wanted to say how easy it actually is when you don't think about it.

-reply by Matt

"Now granted it took me roughly 3 days non-stop downloading to get the music"

So roughly 72hrs to download "997GB" eh?

~13.8472GB an hour~0.230786GB a minute~0.00384643GB a second~4033.27418 kilobytes/second

Seems ridiculously fast to me. That's almost 4MB a second, downloading music.

Also, a 1TB HDD formatted is only ~931GB, so how you then fit 997GB of music, onto one 1TB drive, simply AMAZES me. You sir, are a magician.

If you're going to BS about your e**nis, at least do the research.

SourceSeriously, this is innovative. I can't wait for them to produce these...though you know the sellers are gonna jack the hell out of the price. In any case, I can only wonder what this will mean for desk top and laptop computers. I mean if they can fit a terabyte in a thumb drive with this technology, think of how much they can fit into a normal comp. Think of how much music that would hold....how many games you could fit.....the possibilities are almost literally endless.

The technology underneath of that solid state memory is the key of the article. Alike perpendicular recording technology, this recording technology would furthur boost the storage capacity of SSD in the future. Also, I think an 1TB thumb drive will be nothing special after 3 or 4 years.

Solid State Drives (SSDs) are a long time coming. One of the oldest forms of technology still being used in computers today is the hard drive. While we have moved on to SATA connections for our drives and use PCI Express for our cards, we still have these lumbering, clanking, mechanical bricks whirring and wheezing which almost seems like raw irony.

I think the only thing currently holding SSDs back is writing speeds. The fastest SSDs for consumer use are being produced by Intel and run the range of $300 for the entry level model to close to a thousand dollars for the extreme edition. You definitely get the performance you want out of them, but like always with their premium products, you have to pay for it.

It's my desire to replace my current OS drive with an SSD towards the end of this year when I upgrade to Windows 7. Don't get me wrong; I'm not tech-obsessed. I simply think it's perfectly reasonable for us as consumers to not have to deal with grinding, clicking magnets and gears when it comes to performing the task of writing and maintaining our essential data of all things. Get rid of the noise, the heat, the waste of electricity, and replace it all with streamlined, efficient solid state drives that know how to do their job right in the 21st century. I know the Windows 7 architecture is going to emphasize the use of SSDs and so not only would I like to be ready by then, I'd also want to have a replacement for the one thing left in my system build that is simply antiquated by all accounts.

I really hope this technology takes off within the next couple of years. I'd love to fully replace all my hard drives, but until the price goes down and the size of these SSDs improve, I'm going to have to limit my purchase to a smaller drive that can handle Windows 7 exclusively.