xisto Community
kobra500

Firefox "download Day"

Sounds like a very clever marketing ploy. I might buy into it. Firefox is a very good browser and it looks like their struggling with the competition, otherwise they wouldn't need to stage cheap tricks like this to gain some more of the market share.I signed up though. If I'm going to download it I might as well do it on the "right" day...

Will it?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Firefox 3 has been pretty iffy with flash support. From install errors, to this. Apparently, flash isn't "important" enough to for hold a stable release. Personally, I'm thinking of switching to opera, as firefox has for certain lost what is good about it.

edit: sometimes it pays to check out links within an article. Still, there are a few other problems with flash. I'm going to hold back for a while in any case, as I need my extensions.

The same article's got an update now saying...

UPDATE : Mozilla decided to fix the issue (woot!), and has posted a new build. Make sure to check out the build and test your content.

Yah I saw something about this, I bet mozilla crew will have download bots to help download firefox 3 as I will only be downloading it once on each of my two computers, wow 2 downloads YIPEE!! Of course the question is what the hell would GWR even allow this? I tell you GWR has lost some respect letting any break a record, oooh I just ate 5000 hot dogs put me in your book :( . It is just a browser, I bet if they added a $5 dollar download fee I bet firefox wouldn't be as popular, but of course P2P would solve that problem unless they used serial keys or something.

Ptshhhhhh.... :( There will be representatives from Guinness present there and they'll monitor and analyze the server logs. Bots will surely show-up as an unusual pattern..

Mozilla will only count downloads that are fully and completely transmitted, not partial or complete updates. We will also discard duplicate downloads with the help of a cookie system. We will be logging our downloads using Apache and these logs will be made available for audit to Guinness World Records, as well as two judges - Corey Shields and Paul Vixie.

And where did this come from?? :D

Sounds like a very clever marketing ploy. I might buy into it. Firefox is a very good browser and it looks like their struggling with the competition, otherwise they wouldn't need to stage cheap tricks like this to gain some more of the market share.

If you drop by the W3School independent browser stats page, you'll get the real picture... Looking at the charts, I fail to see any of the so-called "struggling with the competition". :(

If you drop by the W3School independent browser stats page, you'll get the real picture... Looking at the charts, I fail to see any of the so-called "struggling with the competition". :D

The statistics, though, are only for the W3Schools website. It should be noted that the main reason for visiting the W3Schools website is for—of course—learning about web design. Because of which, i would expect web designers to be the most frequent visitors. Since W3C promotes web standards and Firefox is a standard-compliant browser, one should expect visitors that use a popular, standard-compliant browser.

WOOT M^E haven't seen you an ages, and ahahahaha people are going ot be downloading multiple copies just so they could help even though it won't. From the website though, only 1.5 million have pledge to download firefox, I like to down what download record they are trying to get as that seems to be a small number, but I wouldn't doubt al their employee's and their familes will be downloading it as well on top of all the google staff. It should be interesting to see what happens for this record, of course, it should be very interesting how the final product fares once everyone gets it as well.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

The thing I don't understand about this is that it's now about 12.30pm over here (UK), which must mean that in the USA, midnight passed hours ago. Why is it, then, that Fx3 is still unavailable if it's the 17th of June in all major cities?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ <-- still only vers 2.0.0.14 available

They've got this download schedule to sync it uniformly across the world.. here's a map that shows the timings..

Posted Image

However, it's already available for download from the following locations - although FTP downloads may not count towards the record...

FTP Mirror: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

HTTP (Win): http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/3.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%203.0.exe

HTTP (Mac): http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/3.0/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.0.dmg

Source: Digital Inspiration

i did not make a pledge (as i'm sure many others did not also :D)... but i'm participating with FF3's Download Day (as you know, many others more who did not or were not able to make the pledge like me will likewise do).

Total Firefox 3 downloads worldwide update (up to the time of this post): 1,845,814 (and RISING... FAST!) [data sourced via SPREADFIREFOX.COM]

don't forget to get your FF3DD CERTIFICATE! have it, FLAUNT IT! :(

I've got it... and most of my plugins aren't compatible yet... :( I might switch back and update when more are compatible...Then again, its released today, I shouldn't expect my plugins to magically work (It would be nice though :D)

unofficial results (awaiting Guinness World Record official validation and confirmation): Over 8,000,000 FF3 downloads in 24 hours... [counter is still running for the downloads, but i would suppose they won't make it to the official count anymore after the 24 hours :D]

not bad, eh? at least some love came the way from the microsoft campus, in the form of a cake sent to the mozilla team congratulating them on their FF3 ship day! (click image below to enlarge)

Posted Image

note: the IE cake shown above is not standards-compliant... and any missing ingredients will be sent later after a PATCH has been baked. :( lolz