xisto Community
kobra500

Firefox "download Day"

As many of you know Firefox will be attempting to set a world record on "Download Day" - Date to be announced. As most people on this forum have taste and use firefox I think it would be great that on the day we could have a post where whenever someone downloads can post in, then we can take a screenshot of it and send it to mozilla.

It could be in the guest forum or a members forum but obviously nothing with post count, I just want to know what the admins/mods fink of this idea?

for more information and I suggest you read this go to [link]

Will it?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Firefox 3 has been pretty iffy with flash support. From install errors, to this. Apparently, flash isn't "important" enough to for hold a stable release. Personally, I'm thinking of switching to opera, as firefox has for certain lost what is good about it.

edit: sometimes it pays to check out links within an article. Still, there are a few other problems with flash. I'm going to hold back for a while in any case, as I need my extensions.

Edited by Live-Dimension (see edit history)

As shown with Firefox 2, Mozilla has a way of keeping track of downloads. Therefore, there's no need to post "Look! I've downloaded Firefox!" and spam Mozilla with screenshots.

By the way, how can you pledge to download something on a specific day if you don't even know what day it is on?

When is Download Day?

Download Day will coincide with the general availability of Firefox 3. The clock will start ticking when Firefox 3 goes out the door! We don’t have a definitive date for Firefox 3 yet, but it should be in June.

Are you going to be home all day, every day in June with Firefox open, waiting for Firefox to tell you a new update is available? Mozilla must be quite confident in their servers, though.

Apparently they are aiming for a 5-million download attempt. At least, that's what my friend told me.Those servers are going bye-bye :D

They probably are renting a tempory server cluster to handle it.

As shown with Firefox 2, Mozilla has a way of keeping track of downloads. Therefore, there's no need to post "Look! I've downloaded Firefox!" and spam Mozilla with screenshots.
By the way, how can you pledge to download something on a specific day if you don't even know what day it is on?

If you vistit the link then it will explain everything, then you wouldn't have used the word "spam" I'll quote the site.

Video footage and photographs of our community members hosting Download Fests. Take pictures!!

Also there only putting 10% of the downloads on there servers the rest are external

Download logs for a sample size of our downloads. We will internally host 10% of the downloads, retaining all of the logs for these downloads, and will use this as our sample set to extrapolate the actual download number and percentage of completed downloads.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

Yah I saw something about this, I bet mozilla crew will have download bots to help download firefox 3 as I will only be downloading it once on each of my two computers, wow 2 downloads YIPEE!! Of course the question is what the hell would GWR even allow this? I tell you GWR has lost some respect letting any break a record, oooh I just ate 5000 hot dogs put me in your book :D. It is just a browser, I bet if they added a $5 dollar download fee I bet firefox wouldn't be as popular, but of course P2P would solve that problem unless they used serial keys or something.

Damn it, the update installed!

I need to download a fresh copy...

Wait, there isn't a copy yet! That means that it hasn't started... but the update is installed on my computer already!

Guess that's because GWR has to monitor everything...

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

personally I am waiting for a stable release of the Portable Edition, currently they only offer a beta test...btw I really like the portable edition because it's self-contained in a directory with all files there... though it must have some drawback, anyone had any bad experience with this edition?

I doubt it. Of course - the standard Firefox stores all your data in your user profile. Anyone without access to your profile cannot see your history, bookmarks, etc. Portable - being that it's all in the same folder, doesn't have such privacy lock.

I wasn't thinking about privacy issues, however if you install and run portable firefox from a usb drive it is kind of secure, unless you drop your usb key somewhere of course :D the good thing is that if you want to take your installation to another computer you can do so by just copying and paste the folder, even to hard drive and it'll run (or at least it should!) like before... of course the real advantage is by using it on a usb drive or other portable device...

If you vistit the link then it will explain everything, then you wouldn't have used the word "spam"

I did visit the site, as me quoting an excerpt from their FAQs in my previous post proves it, but i would still use the word "spam" because that's what it is: that which is repetitive.