xisto Community
AbdurahmanL

How To Make Your Own Counter Strike Source Dedicated Server!

Ok, so you want to host your own CSS Server on your computer eh? Well you will not need a lot of things, and it is very simple. All you will need is time. :D

I did this tutorial myself, from my experience when I made my own CSS Server.

This is just a simple tutorial! It ONLY covers the basics of making a CSS server!

Lets Get Started! :P

1. Download the HLDS Update Tool from here.

2. Once it is downloaded to your desktop, run it and go through it like you would any installer.

3. When you reach the part where it says which directory, we use c:\HLserver

3.1 Complete the installer, the go to step 4

4. Go to run, then type cmd, then when the command prompt is open we type cd C:\HLServer

5. Once it is updated, put this .bat file in the folder C:\HLServer

6. Run the .bat file. You might want to go somewhere or have lunch because the server files are >1gb.

7. When it is done, run the .bat file again, too see if it missed something.

8. When that is done, you will have all the files necessary to run your server! We have a few more steps though.

9. Go to the hlserver directory, and right click srcds.exe and click create shortcut.

10. Right click that new shortcut and delete everything in the target field.

10b. In the target field type this: "C:\HLServer\srcds.exe" -console -game cstrike -port 27015 -autoupdate +maxplayers 12 +map de_dust

10c. This is just an example, you can change this how you wish.

11.You will need a server.cfg to configure your server name, and options. There is a wonderful automated server.cfg maker here.

12. Now to fully customize it you will need the Mani Admin Plugin, you will also need custom maps to put into your server. A nice place is fpsbanana.com. Don't forget to add the maps you put in the server directory in your maplist.txt and mapcycle.txt!

13.Congratulations! You have now made your own Counter Strike Source Server! Just run it with the srcds.com shortcut. It will pull up a console that you can use to change the map, and talk to the people in the server from your desktop!

Also you don't click srcds.exe. You click the shortcut. This dedicated server is better than the regular steam dedicated server because It's easier to configure, and it takes up less resources!

I hope you liked this simple tutorial! :P

Is this what you call a SIMPLE TUTORIAL :P

Well just joking quite a long 1 but usefull.... And the same question again

please explain in details how many clans can play at time on your server......

Ok, so you want to host your own CSS Server on your computer eh? Well you will not need a lot of things, and it is very simple. All you will need is time. :D

I did this tutorial myself, from my experience when I made my own CSS Server.

This is just a simple tutorial! It ONLY covers the basics of making a CSS server!

Lets Get Started! :D

1. Download the HLDS Update Tool from here.

2. Once it is downloaded to your desktop, run it and go through it like you would any installer.

3. When you reach the part where it says which directory, we use c:\HLserver

3.1 Complete the installer, the go to step 4

4. Go to run, then type cmd, then when the command prompt is open we type cd C:\HLServer

5. Once it is updated, put this .bat file in the folder C:\HLServer

6. Run the .bat file. You might want to go somewhere or have lunch because the server files are >1gb.

7. When it is done, run the .bat file again, too see if it missed something.

8. When that is done, you will have all the files necessary to run your server! We have a few more steps though.

9. Go to the hlserver directory, and right click srcds.exe and click create shortcut.

10. Right click that new shortcut and delete everything in the target field.

10b. In the target field type this: "C:\HLServer\srcds.exe" -console -game cstrike -port 27015 -autoupdate +maxplayers 12 +map de_dust

10c. This is just an example, you can change this how you wish.

11.You will need a server.cfg to configure your server name, and options. There is a wonderful automated server.cfg maker here.

12. Now to fully customize it you will need the Mani Admin Plugin, you will also need custom maps to put into your server. A nice place is fpsbanana.com. Don't forget to add the maps you put in the server directory in your maplist.txt and mapcycle.txt!

13.Congratulations! You have now made your own Counter Strike Source Server! Just run it with the srcds.com shortcut. It will pull up a console that you can use to change the map, and talk to the people in the server from your desktop!

Also you don't click srcds.exe. You click the shortcut. This dedicated server is better than the regular steam dedicated server because It's easier to configure, and it takes up less resources!

I hope you liked this simple tutorial! :D

man ive just realized this dont work anymore (i think)

the files we downloaded where at the size around 300 mb(u said 1gb +)

and, i have cs 1.6 too, and this is files for 1.6 :P

and i searched for the file srcds.exe, its just in the CSS installation folder. we have downloaded the wrong stuff. sorry.

Edited by wretblad (see edit history)

How can It fail.... If it does then you are no good :D I have been setting these up and running my own for years that have become really popular... I get about 5 people asking me every day on how to set these up if you need any help please just PM me :P.

Where is srcds.exeHow To Make Your Own Counter Strike Source Dedicated Server!

I can't find it I know it's in HLServer but I look everywhere and nothing. I even searched through out all the harddrive. Please tell me where it is or if it's called another file.

Cool Thank-You for posting this easy guide I have been able to do this in about 5-10 minutes with no problems I now host my own server on my Spare PC and the server is on 24/7 it takes up some bandwidth but I have unlimited:D, The server does not seem to be laggy for other people either and doesn't slow my internet connection down! This is also good for using it as your testing server if you like making maps or mods ect....

Here is how to fix the srcds.exe problem!How To Make Your Own Counter Strike Source Dedicated Server!

To make this clear: All the people who have downloaded this and can't find the srcds.Exe have probably downloaded the cs 1.6 version, this because of the file "cstrike update.Bat," the file is made to download cs 1.6 instead of css. Replace this line in the cstrike update.Bat program: 

"c:HLServerhldsupdatetool -command update -game cstrike -dir c:HLServer"

with

"c:HLServerhldsupdatetool -command update -game "counter-strike source" -dir c:HLServer"

Hope it works now! :)

-reply by Helper

9. Go to the hlserver directory, and right click srcds.exe and click create shortcut.10. Right click that new shortcut and delete everything in the target field.

Okay after i do exactly what you say i click it and it says " Failed to load the launcher the specific modual could not be found" it would be great if you could tell me what i did wrong becuase there was no srcds.exe in my c:\HLServer folder. :lol: please HELP!

yea I know I'm stupid but please answer how to do these

10. Right click that new shortcut and delete everything in the target field. 10b.In the target field type this: "C:HLServersrcds.Exe" -console -gameCstrike -port 27015 -autoupdate +maxplayers 12 +map de_dust

how can I delete everything?

and where to write those  C:HLServersrcds.Exe" -console -gameCstrike -port 27015 -autoupdate +maxplayers 12 +map de_dust ???-reply by TechDeck

This way is to complicated & Once you do get your server up to your satisfaction there will be alottttttttttttttt of lag for the other players on your server.I would recomend just buying a server.Sorry for bad spelling/typing on my iPhone.

Yeah, I tried this too, it lags alot. :/ For some reason when ever even I have a good connection signal I still get lag..and I'm hosting the server on my PC. :) It's not suppose to lag for me that badly. But eh, what can we say...that's locally hosted servers for you. :D

Fix for the batch file,How To Make Your Own Counter Strike Source Dedicated Server!

Hi, the batch file you have listed is set to make the update install a regular half life server, thanks for the confusion bud -_-

The correct command line for a source dedicated server would be this, edit the batch file that you download from his guide and following your directory it should look like this,

c:HLServerHldsUpdateTool.Exe -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir C:HLServer

^ that is the correct format if you actually want a source dedicated server. 

-reply by Jared

SRCDS?How To Make Your Own Counter Strike Source Dedicated Server!

I cant find the SRCDS.EXE File like a few other people. I followed your instrusctions as closely as possible. Is it in a subfolder possibly? 

-reply by Gezo