xisto Community
Kraiser X Astral

Why Do People Smoke? ...

Remember the old movies where hero smokes every time after a heroic act. Or the classic act of smoking after sex. And since smoking has a bitter taste and at 1st makes you cough only tough boys can smoke. These images casues the young to start smoking.Dormitories, military services kinda things where you are forced spend time with people are most likely times when people starts to smoke. I talked with a few addicted, they're saying smoking became like a need for water. They gotto smoke or they spend the day uncomfortably.

I have been smoking for 23 years now, I started when I was 11:) I didn't inhale at first, but then I told my parents I was smoking, and they made me smoke an entire pack of cigarettes and inhale. They were hoping it would make me get sick and quit, but it backfired and I became addicted.I have tried hundreds of times to quit, (several times each year) and I can't seem to do it. I've tried Nicorette gum, the patch, pills that are supposed to work and none of it worked.It's taken me all this time but I'm proud to say that I have cut down to 6 cigarettes a day as opposed to 2 packs a day (which is 50 cigarettes), and I have my 2 sons to thank. I can't seem to quit for myself, But I'm trying very hard to quit for them:) :D

Almost everyone in my family smokes. I try to get them to quit or slow down. but they tell me to quit with the internet. So yeah, telling a smoker to stop, is like telling a nerd their internet is getting turned off.

I started smoking mainly because i wanted to see what the big deal was. I grew up with my parents smoking so it was so normal to me. Then I kept smoking because it did give me a buzz which was cool for a while. But mainly the reason why I have stayed to smoking is because it makes it easier to meet people and is an awesome stress reliever for me. Now that I am older and very much addicted, I want to quit but it ain't easy. As for the government stepping in to stop it; that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If they put an end to smoking what then? Alcohol? Skateboarding? Trampolines? Seriously, smokers are already banned from most restaurants, hotels, and now bars (how ridiculous is that, save the people who are damaging their livers with alcohol from cigarette smoke). If someone is blowing smoke in your face that's one thing, other than that just stop being so offended. People have a right to slowly kill themselves with cigarettes. They know it's not good for them but they do it anyways. That's their right.

I am actually very happy with the laws that prohibit smoking in public places. You forget that second hand smoke hurts everyone around you. True you have a right to kill yourself (as mean as that sounds), but you have no right to in danger the lives of other people.

My mother used to smoke, but she managed to quit. My father smokes, but he tries to get me and my siblings to never start doing it. I do not know if they have, but that is their problem. All I know is that I get a free drivers licence and some more things if I never start. I am not that kind of person, so I would not ever start with it anyway. But it seems like all my other friends forgot all the things we learned at school; that it is bad and unhealthy. But still they started with it! People have asked me before if I wanted one, but I have always said no. Why should I? It is bad and it costs a lot of money. Of course it is pressure. I have chosen not do do it, so I will not. Believe it or not it is easier for me. Many of my friends always says how cool I am that keep myself away from those things, but yet they still do it?I think it is good that the government bans smokers from some places. We have it here too. It is good for all of us that do not smoke... sure it must be horrible and annoying for smokers, but smoke is something that does not only hurt yourself but also your environment. It is also good for those who works at bars, caf?s or any other place that they do not get affected by the smoke... especially if they do not want to. I really do freak out in smoke, it has never been good for me something my doctor stated very much when I was younger.People that grow up now have all the knowledge of how bad smoking is for you and your environment - so I do not understand why! Pressure is not a good enough excuse, why should anyone do something that is bad for you just because "everyone" else does it?People that grew up many years ago did not have the knowledge. If they knew I am sure a lot fewer people would begin to smoke.

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

I know people that smoke cause it keeps them skinny (mostly girls). Also, some people may have innate oral fixations. If they can't chew on pens, they smoke. If they can't smoke, they bite their nails. I never touched the stuff and can't stand people who smoke. You can show me the finest girl in the world and if she smokes, I won't go near her. Just gross chemicals...

HI,
People probably start smoking for fashion. In the initial stages they feel that smoking is in their control , It's true until they addicted to it. They even don't recognize that they are in the trap of smoke. When they realize, condition goes out of their hand.

Once a person addicted to smoke, as smoke goes to his/her lungs makes a feel of refreshment to him/her.

Tobaco kills somany people per anum.It's a sad that people spoil their lives for smoke. I feel its not the issue of men or women. and I strongly feel that governments has to take right steps to stop it.

Raghu kishore

some just likes to put the mind to rest at all times i guess

people smoke mainly because of their peers. they just give it a shot and then they're like - hey i actually like this crap and they take more and then eventually their addicted and can't stop and then try to stop but aren't strong enough to because they haven't had any problems yet so they say " it hasn't done any harm to me so far so i'll continue" and then eventually when the doctors tell them they have a cancer or something, its only then when they realise they've made the mistake, and then they think i'm already ****** up so i might as well continue and the cigarette companies get heaps of money.

I think a lot of people start smoking for lots of different reasons, but there is only one reason why anybody carries on smoking and thats drug addiction. Smoking is as addictive as any other drug, as you will soon find out when you try to stop. Ive tried to stop more times than i care to mention and its a total nightmare, just like i guess when you try to stop doing any other drug. It has been reported that smoking is more addictive than herion, and although ive never taken anything like that, i now regard myself as a drug addict simply because i smoke cigerettes. I think in time, smoking will become one of the great shames in society, not shame on the people that smoke but shame on goverments that refuse to ban it because they get so much tax of it. On packets of smokes now you get told all the harm its doing us, and thats supposed to be ok, they are telling us what we are doing to ourself, so its our own fault. but if anybody knows the nature of drug addiction, which is what nicotine is, then any drug addict will tell you the warning makes no difference, because the biggest thing a drug addict does to himself is lie, lie to themselves that all these deseases wont effect him or her, that they will be the one in a million who wont get cancer, or some lung desease. The tobbaco companies know this too so feel safe putting these warnings on the packets, they know we dont even see them... Im a smoker and think the goverment should ban this industry and stop making money out of people dying :)

Oh boy. Y'all ready for a journey?O.K. First. I am not a smoker. A smoker implys someone who smokes a pack to 2 packs a day, maybe on theyre break or laying a round the house. or when they drink.Have you met anybody that smoked over 8 packs a day before? or 7 packs in about 4 hours?Well, if you havent, i'd like to introduce myself.Well. second. I unsterstand smoking kills. I am going to die. VERY EARLY. Im quite aware of lung cancer considering ive lost 3 family members to it so far. and im well on my way to being number 4.third. I Enjoy every possible aspect of smoking, and i cherish every moment of it. Nothing, and i truely mean NOTHING, is better then smoking, in my eyes. That first drag in the morning that jump starts my day, yet calms my soul, is beautiful. as are all the drags throughout the day. They release dopamine the the brain which makes you happy, and i could overdose on dopamine, as much of it as i release. forth. I am upset about laws with smoking. i Live in chicago. They tax cigarettes to an unrealistic extent. almost $8.00 a pack in some places. Thats *BLEEP*. They also banned smoking inside all public places (including bars!!!) you cant even smoke within 15 feet of thew door! What the *BLEEP*?fifth. I LOVE SMOKING! Dont tell me, "smoking is gonna kill you!" ...i know. shut up. "smoking is bad, dont you know that?" again. shut up. "eww, ur second hand smoke is killing me!" ...shut up and walk away *BLEEP*. youre ignorance is killing me.In conclusion...well, nevermind that. I think you get the idea. Good day! :)

Cemerteryrecords brought up an interesting and correct point. Cigarettes affect the brain chemistry in a way that is conductive to relaxation and stress-relief. This largely comes from the inclusion of nicotine, but the behavior itself can be enjoyable and relaxing for psychological reasons as well. Look it up; there are legitimate scientific studies on the effects tobacco and nicotine have in this sense.

A lot of people may have started smoking because of reasons such as peer-pressure, but ultimately that's not the same case for everyone. Speaking for myself, I only started last year, and I did it entirely on my own. I limit myself to quality non-conventional brands such as Nat Sherman's and Djarum, and I only smoke around a pack a month, or two packs at most. I don't appreciate the numerous chemicals put in regular American cigarettes, and I don't like how fast they burn because of it. If I smoke too much, I end up feeling sick.

I'm not going to say my tastes or habits are better than anyone else's though, so don't get me wrong there. It's all about how you enjoy smoking and what it does for you. In that regards, I found smoking to be an incredible way to give myself a sense of relaxation and composure on demand. It's enticing for me, and delivers peace and comfort.

And yes, in the vast majority of cases, I see women smoking more often than men, really. But I wouldn't know who smokes more statistically. Don't dismiss it just because it is taboo in today's culture. There's a lot more involved here than just "appearance". I rarely smoke publicly, but I don't dislike others who do or find it to be disgusting.

Truthfully, the most significant thing that makes smoking unhealthy is the large number of chemicals that regular American cigarettes are treated with. I avoid this by sticking to Sherman brands when possible, or Djarum otherwise. I'm never going to say that smoking is ever healthy or good for you, but you can bypass a lot of harm that is associated with the habit by knowing what you smoke.

I admit, I started smoking to fit in. I was alone 1400 miles from my family and wanted friends so badly I would do anything to "In". I regret that now. While I don't smoke a lot I do still smoke two years later. I go through an average of 3 to 4 a day. When stressed I will smoke as many as 6 or 7 cigs a day. I want to quit, but every time I go a day or two without I find myself on edge and more willing to yell at my son. (No I don't smoke around him, I go outside or into a room with the window open, door closed and often a fan in the window to suck the air out. I also hang my hand out the window and blow smoke that way. Anyway, it's my problem, not his, I will not subject him too it. I don't allow smoking around him by anyone.) I quit for the 9 months I was pregnant, and 4 months after, then when my uncle died over 6 months ago I started again and have been depending on it for stress relief. I hate smoking, I think it's a nasty habit, and when I am able to quit I will. Simple as that. What ever anyone thinks of me for smoking, I can't help that. I don't smoke around non smokers and I try to avoid smoking around people in general. Again it's my habit, there is no reason to share with anyone else who doesn't want it.Thats my two cents. *Nods*

why do people smoke? honestly the question should be why do people start to smoke, Once you start there is a very good chance you can not stop. with me it was due to I wanted to be in the so called cool crowed haha. now not so cool huh? Why I still smoke? very addictive sadly. I have tried many times to stop. The Pill the patch gum even cold turkey. I just find myself going back to it. It is a nasty habit I wish I had never ever started. kind of strange though, I can be say in a building all day that is smoke free and I am fine. Or be sitting here on the PC for hours playing some silly game or reading what is going on here in the world of trap and not even think of lighing up. But mainly I do love to have my cigarette right after a big dinner or when I first wake up in the morning. If I don't do that well I go a little nuts :P

as what Ive observed too many people are smoking and most of them are males..why do they use ciggrates? ....?I know theres a lot of smokers in here,
share your experience how you are addicted?
why you smoke and what causes you to smoke more?

Many of them starts under pressure from their friends. Actually such people out there should not be called as friends as they are pressurising others for bad habits. Others who they look better and stylish while smoking do it for style. And many other do it and don't even know why they are doing. Main thing which effects out here is the atmosphere in which we live if the closed ones of ours are using it most probably we will also be effected by it in one manner or the other. By the way I am a non smoker. And don't even know how it is felt while smoking.