xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Computer Giveaway Free laptop haha

okay here is my vent and I am very steamed over it. While I was doing some work around the house and listening to the radio, they played a sales ad for a free laptop. You would think the station being one of the bigger ones in the NY area that they would not sell ad's to anything "funny"Well I went to the site today, and read all of the page. and then started to fill out the form. Mistake!that's when things really got going. in about 3 mins I had a good 30 E mails wanting me to Buy Buy Buy. So I stoped filling out the form, and then spent 3 hours going through my new mail looking for any links in them to stop the spam. I even blocked a lot that I could not find a remove me, yet they still keep comming. I guess that is how they can give away free laptops, get you to buy all the stuff, then they must get a kickback or something.Well they saw me comming I guess. Nothing is what it seems to be. I just wish that they would pass a law or something to make ad's like that unlawful, so others will not fall into a spamtrap like I did today.

... time to change your email address ...I have a 'spam-address' that I use when hanging around doubtful places. It helps to keep my main mailbox (relatively) clean.

... time to change your email address ...
I have a 'spam-address' that I use when hanging around doubtful places. It helps to keep my main mailbox (relatively) clean.

I guess, Do they coming in from different links cause that might be the case.Follow his advice and get a spam box for later use.It is very helpful and keeps your "real" mailbox nice, tidy and clean ^_^ But yeah, The big radio stations are in fact better at tricking people than small stations.I guess you're not safe anymore, time to pack up and get a new "home" :P

I also have a "spam box" don't know what i'd do without it, i also have one for my xbox 360 cos im 18 or about 20 now on that one. It is easy to make new emails, look at hotmail or gmail. They have no limits on ip etc

Thought about changing my E mail too, but All my Family and friends would have to be told. Right now I just get 2 or 3 Spam mail a day, which is not really that bad I guess. Just happy that most of the mail that I got that day had a remove me link on them. I would have to also suggest that anyone getting mail they do not want, take a little time and look for that link. Could stop you from getting a full mail box.

okay here is my vent and I am very steamed over it.
While I was doing some work around the house and listening to the radio, they played a sales ad for a free laptop. You would think the station being one of the bigger ones in the NY area that they would not sell ad's to anything "funny"

Well I went to the site today, and read all of the page. and then started to fill out the form. Mistake!
that's when things really got going. in about 3 mins I had a good 30 E mails wanting me to Buy Buy Buy.
So I stoped filling out the form, and then spent 3 hours going through my new mail looking for any links in them to stop the spam.
I even blocked a lot that I could not find a remove me, yet they still keep comming.

I guess that is how they can give away free laptops, get you to buy all the stuff, then they must get a kickback or something.

Well they saw me comming I guess. Nothing is what it seems to be.
I just wish that they would pass a law or something to make ad's like that unlawful, so others will not fall into a spamtrap like I did today.

NO, they don't need to make a law outlawing ads. People just need to be smarter and avoid stupid, obvious scams like these. But just to clear things up........you can probably still get the laptop for free.....as long as you sign up for two of their sponsored products!!

Yeah these offers do produce very large amounts of spam but in the long run they do work. I got a free ipod from freepay about 2 years ago and it was really easy and simple to do. You just had to refer people to do it and in my case, my college's forum got enough people to sign up that I got my 30 gig ipod. I wanted to do their laptop offer but never could figure out how to get 20 people to also do it since they finally got smart and put a time limit on the offers.

Just register with any free E-Mail service provider (i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc...) And just use that E-Mail when You sign up for offers, registration forms which you don't really trust...And only use your REAL E-mail address for important communication (i.e. friends, family etc...) and important, AND trusted websites (i.e. Paypal?)I currently sort of have one, but I don't like the idea of having two different E-mail services...Also, consider will it be worth the trouble before signing up for something which has been CONFIRMED to spam e-mail addresses, (for example. Signing up for a e-mail service with 500,000 spam a day, and only winning a Celeron, with 256MB RAM, WON'T b worth the trouble...)

I have a "spam address" as well as a "regular address" as well. I only use my regular address for message boards or websites that I absolutely trust. Everything else pretty much goes to the dump.

Anyway, what I'm mad about now, is that even radio stations are starting to advertise web scams. I mean, come on, really! Who does these kinds of things?

just ignore them. i get spam emails and stuff but i mean what harm do they do, there just emails. emails can't kill! but if you really hate them just change your email address. most of the main email providers can transfer all your email from one account to another one even if you are changing email provider like yahoo to hotmail. then just delete the spam emails and they won't know your new address. but personally i just ignore them. its funny to see all of their effort to try and make the emails look as good as possible and stuff when you just ignore it lol. :)