xisto Community
GrinningKittie

Do You Dream In Black & White Or Color?

Actually, I do not feel like I dream in any colour! Not black, not white, just nothing. I would rather say I dream with my mind - thinking of how things look, what people say and what colour they are. But I never feel like I can actually see the colours, or the surroundings. Well maybe, but not very often. I am not surprised that others replying to this topic feel different about this. It is really weird... if I have a dream that happens at the same place two nights in a row, I might colour things different. For example my neighbours car would not be red, it would be blue or black. My cousin had not coloured her hair green, but pink. Haha, it is really weird sometimes.But there are times when I dream "normally", where I can "see the surroundings."

i dream in black and white, once i hit my head anddreamedincolor,but ithink i was awake. there a group of scientists who are investigating this theory.

i found this article over at http://www.sandia.gov/, copy and pasted to save you time and effort.

An eclectic group of artists and scientists that organizers have dubbed the “dream team” of imaging and visualization are gathered at New York University this week to begin to create a photographic system capable of capturing and displaying a gigapixel — one billion pixels — of visual information in a single image.
The first Big Picture Summit, Dec. 8 and 9, is organized by artist-photographer Clifford Ross and co-hosted by Sandia National Laboratories and the Interactive Telecommunications Program at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts.

Ross says his goal in bringing together top imaging experts from leading scientific institutions is to bring closer to reality his desire to create a “you are there” photographic experience for those who have not personally witnessed the sublime beauty of natural scenes such as Mt. Sopris in Colorado.

“In the early 15th century, the impulse to render flesh more realistically drove the artist Jan van Eyck to invent oil paint,” says Ross. “The same sort of impulse is driving me, except that I’m trying to capture a mountain. Pixels are simply 21st century oil paint.”
R1 camera system Artist photographer Clifford Ross uses his invention, the R1 camera system capable of gigapixel single-shot images, to shoot sweeping yet highly detailed landscape photographs. (Photo courtesy of Clifford Ross)
Download 300dpi JPEG image, ‘R1_WorkingMethod6.jpg’, 296K (Media are welcome to download/publish this image with related news stories.)

The scientists have different but complementary goals. Computational scientists at Sandia, a National Nuclear Security Administration lab, believe a display system of the magnitude proposed by Ross will enhance the ability of its scientists to visualize and gain insight from massively complex data sets that can be understood only through human intuition, ranging from supercomputer-generated physics simulations to high-resolution satellite imagery.

“We have a lot in common with an artist like Clifford Ross and his quest to make extremely detailed images that evoke a powerful emotional response,” says Carl Diegert, Sandia computational scientist. “We want to understand from an intuitive standpoint what it is that enables viewers to gain insight — for example, a visual metaphor that makes a human viewer comfortable and thus better able to interact with an image. Computer science alone is not likely to invent a means for scientists to intuitively comprehend highly complex problems.”

“My own goal is to fill the eye with so much information that it overflows and reaches the human heart,” adds Ross. “Art is emotional, but the path is technical, and virtually all the scientists involved in this effort know more about the technical aspects of imaging than I do.”

Ross’ newly patented R1 camera system (http://www.cliffordross.com/), which broke through the gigapixel barrier, has achieved some of the highest resolution single-shot images ever created. (Efforts by other photographers have digitally melded many smaller images taken over a period of time into single sweeping, gigapixel-sized landscape images.)

The quality of the first landscape images created with the R1 — the “Mountain” series — convinced many of the scientists involved in the Summit to join in the effort, says Diegert.

The 15 professionals invited by Ross to participate in the Summit include renowned artists, scientists and engineers from government agencies, and digital imagery experts from the entertainment and film industries. (See list of participants below.)

The project could have major implications for all industries that rely on precise imaging, including environmental science, space exploration, telecommunications, and homeland security, says Diegert.

The project has two parts. The first is to design and build a new camera, expanding on concepts embodied in the R1, that can capture a gigapixel of digital information at a speed of 1/15th of a second or faster.

The second part is to create the display system, which Ross likens to building an “electronic Sistine ceiling.” It will have 16 times greater data display capabilities than one currently in use at Sandia, among the world’s most advanced. The display would provide an overall view of images at a very large scale while allowing viewers to perceive extremely fine detail.

The Summit is expected to result in a concrete agenda and working group, which would then be funded by interested individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies with an interest in the practical implications of Ross’ quest.

“This extraordinary convergence of talent is a promising start,” said renowned digital innovator Red Burns, creator and chair of the Interactive Telecommunications Program at the Tisch School of the Arts. “The group is skilled in virtually all the necessary elements of hardware and software design for a high resolution imaging project of great ambition. Individually, the participants are some of the keenest minds in the field. Collectively, with an unyielding artist in our midst and the right support, there is a chance to create a real breakthrough.”

Notice from rvalkass:

Being hosted you should know that anything you copy from another site must have quote tags around it.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

All of my dreams except one have been in full colour -- though sometimes a bit bistorted to create for the proper emotional atmosphere of the dream. In the one case where I had a dream that was black and white, it was during a period of sleep paralysis, which is something that happens to people occasionally upon waking. When it occurs, the person is absolutely paralyzed, basically, without even the ability to open their eyelids. It scared the poo out of me, ha! Not only that, but during the dream I had with that experience, I had a strange sense of forboding evil that pervaded my mind. I was glad when I finally felt warmth shoot through my body and I snapped out of it.

Perhaps those of us that "remember" "dreaming" in colour actually dont, maybe we dream in B&W but when we start to wake our brain changes this memory by adding colour according to our perceptions. EG Grass would be a shade of grey in the dream but as we wake our brain tells our memory area that grass is green and colours it in for us to make it more acceptable...
Just a thought...

agreed. i dream in colors and didnt get to dream in black and white before.

I never dreamt in Black and white XD sounds interesting I would love to do so, always in damn boring colors lol I have had different themes though, like I had cartoon theme dreams, painting themes, wierd I know but its fun! I love it when I see different dreams!

I dream mostly colored ;).I also dreamt in sepia or a black and while like tone..not really black and white but almost(and only some parts of the dream)I'm curious how a daltonist dream is like...

Wow i didn't even thinking dreams could be only black and white. I can't remember to this date if i have ever and i mean ever had a black and white dream. All have been in colour. But i have a tendencey to forget my dreams in the midday, i can remember most when i wake up but atfer its gone which sucks.I want to learn how to lucid dreaming it sounds awesome.

i dream in color, and from the outside, and from inside haha, its complicated but like, sometimes i dream, and see everything as if it were a movie or a tv show.. aka like i see myself, and everything that is happening, but its actuly me controlling what im doing etc, i know its kinda complicated.. but on those dreams, i kinda know im dreaming when im in the dream, so i start of think of stuff i want to happen in the dream and they kinda happen ;) haha.. i love those dreams..the other deams i have are from within as if i were just living my everyday life.. and they are in color ;) i guess it would be really weird to dream in black&white hahai shouild try it when i have one of those, movie dreams.. be like.. LIGHTS TURN GRAY haha

I dream in color. Sometimes the colors are more vivid than other times, and I wake up remembering specific parts where the color was particularly bright. But most often there is nothing extraordinary about the dream's color, it is just the way I would experience it in real life.I'm finding that I remember my dreams less and less. I really only remember one out of every hundred or so dreams that I have. When I first wake up, major images and events stick in my mind, but within the hour they are gone, and I mean completely gone.Considering how weird some of them are, this is probably a good thing...

Okay so how many of you are super talented and dream in both versions?

I'm one of those "super talented" ones you mentioned about. Most of my dreams are coloured, but occasionally I have a few dreams that are in black-and-white ("sepia" or "greyscale" is the proper term, actually). It seems to depend on the theme of the dream, with more "horror-orientated dreams" (nightmares) usually taking the greyscale colours, and more "regular" dreams being normal.
I've also noticed that in dreams where everything is greyscale, I'm unaware of it. I never seem to focus on a particular object's colour in my dream, so I don't exercise control over it. There are exceptions to those rules though... and that's the thing about dreams - we just don't know what the next one will bring.

Thats a really interesting thought, i've never focused on the colours involved in my dreams. But now that you mention it i mostly dream in black, i have had the occasional dreams in multicolors but they are rare and not to mention interesting as well.

@gisellebebegirl... of course you can see yourself as if you're in a 3rd person game..mostly because the action is a thought, something you were thinking of before the sleep during that day..you can even dream what you want (at least I can) by thinking and imaging that..while letting yourself to fall asleep.1st person dreams are more personally I say... It's something normal to forget your dreams as long as you know it was only your imagination or something not so important (considering the dreams unimportant ..you get used to forget them fast...so if you're trying to remember them for long you have to pay them a little more attention).

televisionDo You Dream In Black & White Or Color?

I read a study that found that the people who typically dream in black and white are the people that grew up watching TV in black and white.

It confirms the idea that television supplants the subconcious

The idea is given credibility based on the fact that most people looking into dreams now are younger, and grew up with television in colour.

(a possible note to the person that dreams in technicolour; I have noticed that quite a few families ramp up the color settings on the TV to a level that is way beyond normal life.. Maybe this is something to look in to?)

-reply by Josh

....zZZzZzZzZzz...Oh, what? Dreams? Zz.z. Oh, oh... those things... :)Seriously, I don't remember dreaming in B&W never in my life, all of my dreams are coloured and I know that because I once tried to see zZzzz... sleep .zz.Zzz.z what?... oh, I tried to remember things I dreamt about and I could clearly remember what I dreamt had a colour the minute I woke up from the dream...Anyway, to prove my theory, I'm going to try it this evening... *sigh*zzZzzZzzzZZZz