xisto Community
Tunay

Dying In My Sleep? forcing myself to wake up to avoid my heart from stopping?

Not really sure if this helps or not but there's this thing in Philipines that has the same symptoms as what you have described the word is "Bangongot" the symptom as my mother has told (1st hand experience) not trying to scare you or anything but my mom suggested if this keeps happening either talk to a doctor or when this happens again have someone wake you up otherwise you'll just continue on with your sleeppossibly not waking up.Not sure what the this word means in egnlish. Hope this helps in any possible way.

I don't really have advice srry for that but I have a similar problem. Ever since I was 4 iv always had this dream exactly the same it never changes anyways so its not really a dream its more of a night mare but its really starting to get to me because I always wake up at the same exact time in the dream and when I wake up I'm gasping for air and my heart is beating so fast I can barly handle it and I'm scared it could possible mean my heart is just about to fail on me, is there anyway to prevent this from happening? or can someone atleast tell me wut it means please?

Humm... It sounds like a lucid dream to me. I'll tell you something... I've had similar experiences, and I started to ask people about it, and someone explain me that this is similar to that dream we all have about falling. In this case you can't wake up.Other people says that happen when you're about to cross the threshold into the astral world.I've read a lot about astral experiences since then... It's very interesting.Anyways I think it would be good if you see a doctor. but I think it's a lucid dream... If you can control it, you can actually have a lot of fun=)

sleep paralysisDying In My Sleep?I read an article about sleep paralysis and it seems like it fits your symptoms. I have the same problem but it happens infrequently since I was about in 9th grade.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ put that in your web browser, (its a real article by the way) and I hope this helps!Don't worry you are not the only one!-reply by Katrina

I'm curious to know if there is anyone else out there that may experience this. Whenever I sleep on my back unusual things happen to me, like something holding me down and I am forced to wake myself up to break free.This is also not a dream sometimes I feel as if I am also out of myself.It is difficult to explain. It is something that has been occurring off and on for years, in fact I have avoided for many years sleeping on my back because of these unusual occurrences.

Well, as far as not being able to wake up is concerned, see these tips...1. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. I don't care if you're Superman. If you try to sleep for only 2 hours each night it just is not going to work. I've tried a couple different sleeping arrangements but the most effective will always fall between 5-8 hours of sleep a night. Remember, sleep is vital for muscle growth, fat loss, overall health, mood, and much more. Get those ZszszszsZsZsZ's just don't over or under do it.2. Invest in a quality alarm clock that will wake your neighbors up if you had to. If you think you're in control of that internal clock, think again. Get an alarm clock with a nice large display so that you can tell what time it is when it rings.3. Before you go to sleep make the conscious choice to wake up at "x" time. This way when you get your wet dreams interrupted by your ridiculously loud alarm clock, you will see the time and force yourself to get up.4. Avoid the Snooze Function of Death. They made the snooze function for one reason and one reason alone. For you to be too lazy to wake up. Never use that function.5. When your alarm goes off. Wake up and STAY UP!. Do not go crawling back to your bed. Your bed is anchored in your mind as your sleeping haven. The second you place your groggy hand back on that bed you'll fall asleep faster than a Jennifer Lopez movie.6. Place that alarm clock as far away from you as possible. There is no use placing the alarm clock next to your bed, you might as well unplug it and cuddle with it while you sleep. Put the little further in a place where it will still scream at you in the morning, but make you work to shut it up. I preferably like it next to my sink and shower so I can wake up and be there to shower or brush my teeth.7. Move On! the second you wake up, move on to your next daily habit. Brush your teeth, take a shower, drink some coffee...8. Turn some music on when you wake up. I'm not talking that little dinky music on your alarm that makes Rap sound like Polka. Jump on the computer and turn on a jam with a beat. Music controls emotions and body rhythms, use this tool to energize you in the morning.9. Let the light in. The importance of the sun cannot be explained to a mere mortal like you. The sun regulates serotonin levels deciding if you're either happy or like them poor Alaskans, plagued with S.A.D.'s syndrome (depressed). The sun also regulates your circadian cycle (your natural alarm clock) which makes it easier for your grumpy self to wake up.10. Try to make your days as fun and non-stressful as possible. It's a lot easier to wake up looking forward to what is ahead of you then to wake up and want to stay in bed to hide from your troubles. Be a man and do what needs to be done!

Hi, Ive been getting the same episodes for the last ten years. I will wake up in the middle night and then go back to sleep and as I feel myself going under something pins me down and I cant move only my eyelids, it is so scary that I force myself to wake up. The last night I got the same sensation but this time my heart started beating so fast that I really thought I was going to have a heart attack. I woke up and I tried going back to sleep and this time I felt shaking in my head, it was so loud, then I heard a cat meowing very loudly and this got me really scared! I was half awake so I could still hear my daughter sucking on her pacifier plus the cat noise

This has happen to many plenty of times minus the heart beating and cat noises but I'm always very scared and think that somebody is doing this to me. When I was 18 I heard somebody laughing while this happen to me and after that it never happened again, now I'm 22. I looked up online and why this sensation of feeling paralyze happens and its because our body is in rem sleep but we are still awake, which makes sense but its too scary that I don't want to deal with it anymore 

-reply by Jasmine

was i close to death?Dying In My Sleep?Last night I think I about died in my sleep I have always lost my breath while dosing off and I will wake myself up by jerking and gasping for breath,but last night when I fell asleep I thought I might have been dreaming but I wasn't my eyes wouldn't open I couldn't scream out or move any of my body parts finally I woke up screaming and gasping for breath was I real close to death?-question by bobby hutchison

hey it happens to me. My mind wakes up out of sleep but your body cant move the heart is pounding and so forth,it nothing to be worried about happens to people.  

-reply by antc4

I don't mean to scare anyone with my little silly facts from TV which are probably not facts at all. I too have this and also something else that makes me grind my teeth in a weird way. ( I am sleeping so it may not be happening at all ) Well it was one 1000 ways to Die. It described a woman who had nightmares of a devilish creature holding her down and choking her. Its weird because I didn't think it was possible for so many others to share the same experiences I thought were rare. It feels as if something ( I never know what it is I just know its evil and wants to kill me ) is sitting on top of my chest holding my arms at my side. As I try to wake up by moving which I can't at all I try over and over again before finally waking up. Sometimes I will wake up all the way just to slowly start to drift back into it so I have to keep moving to stay awake. I've stayed awake many nights just because I can feel it in the back of my mind. Where I know if I fall back asleep it will happen again. Creeps me out because all people are describing it as something evil or ghost like. I don't know what you guys are talking about with the heart pounding. With me its only suffocation I fear. I can say I have never heard my heart beat while I slept.

Honestly, I don’t believe dreams are windows to the future, so I don’t think you have to worry about dying. Perhaps you just have a fear of dying, or a fear that you may die soon. Anxiety usually propells this fear into overdrive. Dreams are usually made up of memories or experiences we have during the day, or weeks before, or years. It is said that we dream every night, we just don’t always remember, or they aren’t very vivid. I think your dreaming is so real, because you’re half-awake. This is just a problem you need to resolve with your sleeping. There is unrest in your life and that needs to be fixed and only then will your anxiety be cleared and you will be able to sleep more soundly. I use the more natural methods of not eating anything two hours before sleeping, except for some hot milk with honey, and doing some mediating while preparing to sleep. Clearing your mind is the best way to fall asleep, because you can’t sleep when your constantly thinking about everything you did that day and what you’re going to do tomorrow. If these methods don’t work, there’s also the route of talking to your doctor for a referral to a psychologist who can help you with your anxiety problems and perhaps recommend a medication.The dream was about not being able to breath. It actually sounds like you stopped breathing/ were holding your breath towards the end of those dreams.I just had one where I was hiding underwater from a murderer and by the time i was safe, i couldn’t get to the surface in time and started drowning. I actually woke up super short of breath, like I had actually been holding it for a minute.I don’t know what they actually mean. Just thought I’d let you know that it happens to other people too.It doesnt mean anything. i have had dreams were i die too. Dreams dont mean anything.

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

ok first of all this is again a hooked up topic xD its way back from 2008 and still alive wow? so you have a problem actually its a common problem it is called Sleep Apnea Sleep apnea is a common disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep.Breathing pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes. They often occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour. Typically, normal breathing then starts again, sometimes with a loud snort or choking sound.Sleep apnea usually is a chronic (ongoing) condition that disrupts your sleep 3 or more nights each week. You often move out of deep sleep and into light sleep when your breathing pauses or becomes shallow.This results in poor sleep quality that makes you tired during the day. Sleep apnea is one of the leading causes of excessive daytime sleepiness. Doctors usually can't detect the condition during routine office visits. Also, there are no blood tests for the condition.TreatmentsLifestyle changes, mouthpieces, surgery, and/or breathing devices can successfully treat sleep apnea in many people.

You know, the problem here could very well begin because he doesn't have enough air circulationwhere ever he's sleeping. This would lead to breathlessness, followed by panic attacks,culminating in outright paranoia when this gets the psychological edge over him. Try sleeping with a fan on. This will improve air circulation and also the sound of the fan can be the most calming. It sounds like waves and the sea. It can be most soothing.Open windowswould also help, providing theres not too much noise in the area where you live.Also, maybe cut back on certain stimulants such as coffee if anything.

Edited by networker (see edit history)

your heart rate does slow down when sleeping and depending how one is sleeping on back or sides or tummy ,can cause this problem .try sleeping by placing your head upon two pillows instead flat and even with body ,sleep with head ,upper torso ,raised higher than rest of your body .most sleep disorders ,seem find this works out .still have the problem really sit your mother down and really explain that this is something serious that concerns you and you need her to pay attention ,it may be nothing even if it is anxiety or panic attack ,still serious and needs attention .Wish you best .