xisto Community
Tunay

Dying In My Sleep? forcing myself to wake up to avoid my heart from stopping?

I went to bed at around 10 am (because i was here on trap cause i'm an addict :)) and i fell asleep with no problem. I don't know why this happens to me but sometimes when i hear a long beep in my head i can feel my heart slowing down along with my breaths getting heavier and heavier. When this happens i open my eyes and try to move but my body doesn't allow me to and my breathing becomes heavier while i gasp for air. So i try to take deep breaths but it doesn't work so i force myself to rigorously jerk my head and my body. i don't know why this happens but i almost stop breathing and can feel my heart slowing down and its scares me. is this a sleep disorder of some sort? I told my mom about it and she thinks i'm just joking around :) someone help me? and possibly put me at ease :P

First thing you need to do is convince your mother that you are NOT "just joking around." I don't have an answer for you about whether or not this is a sleep disorder, but I would take it seriously. Sounds a little like some kind of panic attack to me, but I am no doctor. You do need to see a doctor about this regardless. Sit down and have a serious talk with your mom. Good Luck!

My brother has a similar experence, he says theres some kind of ghost holding him down trying to kill him but I dont know. I dont believe its a ghost to be honest maybe some type of mental disorder, that sounds more logical then a ghost doing that too him.Make sure your mum knows your serious and go see a doctor like mich said. better safe then sorry.

I went to bed at around 10 am (because i was here on trap cause i'm an addict :)) and i fell asleep with no problem. I don't know why this happens to me but sometimes when i hear a long beep in my head i can feel my heart slowing down along with my breaths getting heavier and heavier. When this happens i open my eyes and try to move but my body doesn't allow me to and my breathing becomes heavier while i gasp for air. So i try to take deep breaths but it doesn't work so i force myself to rigorously jerk my head and my body. i don't know why this happens but i almost stop breathing and can feel my heart slowing down and its scares me.

is this a sleep disorder of some sort? I told my mom about it and she thinks i'm just joking around :) someone help me? and possibly put me at ease :P

OK...this is a very real problem for some people.

I recently saw a TV program about people with the problem you describe. It is called Sleep Apnea.

It can be dangerous so you need to get professional help...Convince your Mom of that!

Here is a link you can show her http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also, I personally have trouble sleeping and I know why. I have a deficency in a particular NeuroTransmitter.

NeuroTransmitters are chemicals that interact with the end points of neurons. These chemicals are produced naturally by the body and are essential for communication between Neurons. The NeuroTransmitter I lack is called Dopamine.

Here is a link showing some research results http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I beleive in Alternative medicine rather than swollowing an darn pill the pharmicutical industry decides is going to make them millions. So, I would recommend that you look for a Kensiologist in your local area.

Here is a link to the Sleep Hotline describing Kinesiology and a therapy http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I and others I know have terrific personal success using Kensiology and a treatment for various problems.

It is an exciting alternative to main stream medical prctices.

All the best.

My brother has a similar experence, he says theres some kind of ghost holding him down trying to kill him but I dont know. I dont believe its a ghost to be honest maybe some type of mental disorder, that sounds more logical then a ghost doing that too him.
Make sure your mum knows your serious and go see a doctor like mich said. better safe then sorry.

Yea i believe in that ghost thingy but yea thanks everyone for the feed back i'll definitely talk to my mom about it because it scares me lol thats why i'm on so late at night! till early morning :)

---------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------

I found out that my dad has sleep apnea and he had to get that weird respirator looking thing to breath properly at night! Except he got that machine thing because he would stop breathing for about 30 seconds at night and it cause him to have a hard time sleeping!!
Edited by Tunay (see edit history)

My brother has a similar experence, he says theres some kind of ghost holding him down trying to kill him but I dont know. I dont believe its a ghost to be honest maybe some type of mental disorder, that sounds more logical then a ghost doing that too him.
Make sure your mum knows your serious and go see a doctor like mich said. better safe then sorry.

This happened to me before too. You can read about it here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/54674-ghosts-do-u-believe-in-them/

I went to bed at around 10 am (because i was here on trap cause i'm an addict :D) and i fell asleep with no problem. I don't know why this happens to me but sometimes when i hear a long beep in my head i can feel my heart slowing down along with my breaths getting heavier and heavier. When this happens i open my eyes and try to move but my body doesn't allow me to and my breathing becomes heavier while i gasp for air. So i try to take deep breaths but it doesn't work so i force myself to rigorously jerk my head and my body. i don't know why this happens but i almost stop breathing and can feel my heart slowing down and its scares me.
is this a sleep disorder of some sort? I told my mom about it and she thinks i'm just joking around :D someone help me? and possibly put me at ease :(

Convincing your mum that you weren't joking around would be the first option. If she still doesn't beleive you , search for help on the internet. If you feel your heartbeat slowing that is quite serious. Or you could contact your doctor in the area =D
Hope I helped :o

Sorry. But could it all be just a dream? Because from my knowledge unless you are extremely dehydrated, or out of energy (food) - your heart will beat faster as you breath slower and vice versa, in order to keep the oxygen level that reaches your brain stable at all time.

First you must convince your mom that your not kidding. If she don't beleive you you could stop breathng and then she would think your just playing. Something like that used to happen to my dad then he went to the doctor and they told him that it was kind of like asthma but he couldn't do much about it accept for taking some pills. When he got the medicine. i started getting better in a couple of weeks. I dont think he does it anymore, but im not sure

It could be sleep apnea, like some of the members have said. But according to what I have learnt about people with sleep apnea, most of them don't get awakened up by loss of breath. They do make grasping noises (like very loud grunting snores) when they grasp for air, but they don't get wakened up like you do. It's still a serious condition though, and could be likely to cause heart attack. If you get awakened by loss of breath, it could be very serious sleep apnea. It could also be that you are under a lot of stress and your muscles are tensed up and that's where you get that 'ghost holding you down' feeling. You should probably see a doctor if it happens often.

I'm under the impression that you don't believe in ghosts. I didn't believe in ghosts until about 12 or 13 years ago. I had purchased a mobile home and was never told the history of the home..........I would hear footsteps in the hallway, feel eyes watching me..........I've even heard a baby cry once my daughter was born and it wasn't my daughter crying. Needless to say we moved to a different mobile home and made up an excuse as to why we didn't want to continue living were we were.

The neighbors that we had told us that a baby had died there on Thanksgiving Day.......just a few months before I moved into that mobile home. It's was like the longer we lived there the more frequently we would hear odd things and the creepier it became to live there. It was a beautiful mobile home........but the park had water problems which made the water undrinkable and add in the creepy events.......it got to be more than I was willing to deal with so we traded our mobile home for a different one in a completely different location.

Sleep apnea (sp?) was my first thoughts as well when I read the first post here. It's dangerous and people can die from it and you need to see a doctor ASAP. They may suggest going to a sleep clinic, but to me it would be worth it. A sleep clinic could tell you for sure what is going on and help you get the medical intervention that you need. It's a scary thing to wake up being unable to breathe.Panic attacks can produse asthma-like symptoms, usually with it being hard to breathe. It just doesn't sound like a panic attack to me.........I'm thinking more on the line of a sleep disorder that is serious enough to seek immediate care for.

It's NOT SLEEP APNEA...

The "long beep in your head" is from sitting in front of the computer screen too long. It will also happen if you sit near the tv or a stereo too long or if other large electrical appliances are constantly running around you like freezers, refrigerators, etc.

Some people are just super sensitive to this. It even happens to me outside, I can hear the street lights buzzing, and the electricity running through all the power lines outdoors. Which really sucks in the summer when my bedroom window is open. It gets extremely annoying after a while, but I've learned to live with it because nothing can be done about it.

Whats happening to your body is a MILD form of paralisys, it is temporary and harmless, but very scary:) It happens to everyone from time to time, usually after a bout of insomnia or when under severe stress of some kind. There's nothing to be afraid of, it's just your body's way of making you RELAX wether you want to or not.

Your heart rate, chest preassure and breathing problems are caused by panicking about the paralysis, so next time it happens, remain calm and tell yourself this is only temporary and it will soon pass. The realization of this does not stop the paralysis, but it makes it easier to tolerate.

Re: sonesay, that's also what's happening to your brother. Aside from perhaps startling a person, Spirits and Ghosts can NOT physically harm people. But the panic caused by the misguided belief that they can or that he is under attack will cause chest pains and mess with the blood pressure and heart rate, and cause other problems depending on how afraid a person is. But it's important to know that all of those physical problems are self-created and not the work of any supernatural being. Tell your brother to realize that if he can see spirits they mean him no harm, they probably just like his company or need his help.

Edited by Archangel_Baw (see edit history)