xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Karrukarru

Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition Discontinued Cd Key Discontinued CD key

Did you know that you're not allowed to install Microsoft XP more than 2 in a month on a computer? my CD key was discontinued by the Microsoft Corp because i installed it too many times...I think that it is so crazy that i'm not allowed to install an OS as many times as i want to a single computer. Last time i checked it didn't say anywhere on the box "User Limited to install 3 times" but i guess from the late nights in the low light in front of the computer screen made me go blind...Does anyone else think this is nuts?

You are entitled to unlimited installation providing that you can prove to them you have the genuine Windows proof of purchase, a valid serial key, and in a single machine that is the same as the first installation. This criteria will be explained by Microsoft support line when you call them.The basic procedure is that they will ask you few questions and you provide them with proofs they need. Once satisfied, they will guide you through manually entering some obscene digits to unlock your activation process (mine was 24 digits long, alphanumeric). This code is only to be used once and the next time you need to reinstall Windows XP, you must repeat the whole process of providing the proof they require.Microsoft, by law, cannot discontinue a valid serial key unless they explain why they discontinued it--for example, it's invalid due to cracked or illegally obtained key. The only other way to discontinue a valid serial key is to discontinue the OS itself. Windows XP, both Home and Professional editions, is still fully supported by Microsoft. Ask them to give you a comprehensive reason why your key is invalid, even though you have proofs they need, in a registered first class mail. If you really do receive this letter you now have a legitimate reason to hire a lawyer and demand your satisfaction from Microsoft in a court of law :)

Thats good to know, Im about to install windows 2 times in different partitions on my pc, I dont want to be loosing my precious xp serial since it is sort of hard to find xp now days. I really dont want or need vista at the moment. I dont want to be calling microsoft either, just a waste of time since I can prove that my serial is original... its an oem version that came with my lap so there.

Yeah this is annoying, but when I read the topic title I thought it had to do with Windows Vista, as they're stopping the XP sale in a few years and somehow i got the "what? they're stopping people's key's already?" thought in my head :]Well just call them and they'll fix it. You're entitled to use it as much as you need - But I guess it was to stop "Suspicious" installs.

I did this too, I got about 15 installs and I had to call them, pretty need trick I never knew they had. But it's not a big deal, just takes a lil' longer to install xp now. I hardly use the disk now though, so that's not even a big deal. It is one thing to keep in mind though, that way you don't get stuck with a half loaded windows xp system because your phone died :P.

Hmmm, this is very odd. Microsoft would be crazy to stop your CD Key without definite proof. As said before, if they fail to comply with your request, take them to court. Microsoft is a big company but they are not above the law. If are within the guide lines of the EULA and they still fail to activate your PC, then take legal action immediately.

Although this is great for stopping people trying to install XP illegally, it's pretty crappy for people trying to install it legally. Really, I don't think you should even have to phone Microsoft up to get the un-installation-deactivation (if that makes sense XP) code. I hope they think of something a bit better next time.

windows xp home edition keyMicrosoft Windows Xp Home Edition Discontinued Cd Key

same problem forr me... The worst part is that the xp key had ripped off  the bottom of the lappy but I had copied it down from the system info... And now I'm stuck with a 30 day trial thing because it said my code wasnt legit... I need to call them tomorrow cuz weekends apparently arent office hours for such a big company

You are entitled to unlimited installation providing that you can prove to them you have the genuine Windows proof of purchase, a valid serial key, and in a single machine that is the same as the first installation. This criteria will be explained by Microsoft support line when you call them.
The basic procedure is that they will ask you few questions and you provide them with proofs they need. Once satisfied, they will guide you through manually entering some obscene digits to unlock your activation process (mine was 24 digits long, alphanumeric). This code is only to be used once and the next time you need to reinstall Windows XP, you must repeat the whole process of providing the proof they require.

Microsoft, by law, cannot discontinue a valid serial key unless they explain why they discontinued it--for example, it's invalid due to cracked or illegally obtained key. The only other way to discontinue a valid serial key is to discontinue the OS itself. Windows XP, both Home and Professional editions, is still fully supported by Microsoft.

Ask them to give you a comprehensive reason why your key is invalid, even though you have proofs they need, in a registered first class mail. If you really do receive this letter you now have a legitimate reason to hire a lawyer and demand your satisfaction from Microsoft in a court of law :D

They discontinued mine without a valid reason.
Now I have to phone them up every time if I want
to re-install.
I think it's completely wrong.
The operating system has always been installed on the same computer.
Microsoft are pretty shifty.

It is very annoying to have to phone them up just to tell them "I have a genuine copy".But I heard that Microsoft is now allowing unlimited XP install on unlimited computers. Microsoft created Vista already and I don't think they will care much about XP now. They are more focused on Vista and therefore allowing unlimited install of the XP.Is it true? Can anyone verify that?

If Microsoft blocks the key of genuine OS due to many installations on the same notebook, it is rediculousas well as illegal. Who has given this right to them? Atleast they should use their common sense that the person who is spending a big amount for Genuine OS ( Despite they can use their OS without Genuine version using many ways ) will not be calling them and spending more for which he is actually irresponsible. As we know there are many reasons for which a person has to install/format the same notebook for more than once or twice. 

I think a strong competitor is needed against Microsoft's XP so that they may stop making fool to their customers.

Replying to KarrukarruOf course its nuts. I believe it should be challenged . Your right, Microsoft doesn?t represent the product in an honest way. If your only allowed 3 installs, the buyer should be advise of this prior to the purchase. Microsoft could probably get around this though, by saying that the buyer is only buying the right to use the product ( license agreement). Not the right to own it ( unlimited installs ). That would be the only problem. What if computer games only allowed three installs or virus protection software? Yeah thats crazy, its a rip off .-reply by Unknown

so what happen if I  uninstall the windows xp from my PC 9origonal that came with the windows xp) and then install XP in my brand new Macbook and use the same key to install xp in my Mac  ?

I had bought a windows xp home edition sp3 for a new computer build that I'm working on and I had another computer that is a dell that I use for school. Well it got a virus or something and windows xp was all screwed up, anyway I call Microsoft and ask them if I can obtain another product key because my dell got a virus and I had to wipe it to get it off and I had bought the cd but it was intended for my new build, and they just bluntly told me that I'm only allowed to install it on one computer so they wont give me another product key and they no longer distribute the product so if I want to install it on my broken down computer I had to buy a new OS? thats crap, I dished out over $100 for the damn cd and I cant install it to all of my computers? I'm done buying from Microsoft if thats the way they treat their customers (like a bunch of thieves). So I just installed Ubuntu on my dell and I gotta say dispite that many programs only work on windows I like Ubuntu much more because its free, and it looks and feels better than xp. I think if Microsoft keeps this up on all of their other products (both current and future) then they're going to start loosing many more customers to products made by linux and others.

-reply by Christian