xisto Community
Lyon2

Google Offers $30 Million For Robotic Rover On The Moon A challenge created by Google, very interesting

News: Google offers $30 million for robotic rover on the Moon
Source: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/

Now this is interesting! Google is offering 30 million dollars to the one person or the one company that puts a robotic rover on the moon, i mean exactly, that lands a robotic rover on the moon and then to beam images of the lunar surface back to earth, roam for a minimum of 500m and then to take a series of panoramic images and videos to be streamed on the Google website.

You have until the end of 2012 to complete this challenge, this awesome Google challenge!

-------

This is awesome, but of course, it is not accessible to all, i mean, only people with "real" money on their pockets can enter and enjoy this challenge, that is the catch actually but, nonetheless, very cool and interesting to watch who is going to win, at least for me, it really has everything to be tracked and enjoyed.

I hope you find this interesting as i did, as i do.

This is very cool. I wish I could compete; however, unless I can get a couple of illegal fireworks to shoot a supercharged wireless camera a few hundred miles to the moon I'm out of luck (that does sound like fun though). Yea, I'm sure it will be some college that wins though, there are alot of colleges that do alot of things like these (one of which happens to be down the road). Will be very cool for us google users to see what the robot sees though.

It looks pretty and as you can see Google have much money :P As Forbez said I think too it will be something as Google Earth. But I think it wouldn't work and 30 millions will be low price and they will have to pay more. But Google technology going pretty fast to better and internet services from Google will be awesome for some years later.

I think this is going to be a very BIG opportunity for a BIG company to finance someone in using the company name to promote itself, of course, it will need to spend a lot of money but, it is a great way of promoting a company using the internet with this challenge, that is what i would do if i had a big company and i wanted to promote it worldwide using the internet.Anyway, and obviously, this challenge is not for all, not to many can afford to play this cool and original Google's "Game/Challenge".Anyone or any company that will be entering this game/challenge will have its company name spread worldwide and that is a smart move indeed, i just hope i see some hard competition between the competitors.

Wow what will google buy next there on small country and rename it google city?LOLI guess they want everyone to see how the moon is close up and personal it will be cool if the make the feature free but i highly doubt it. I predict that bill gates is going to buy his own space crew so he can beat google moon land rover. :P

lol, Google Moon.anyway this might just make people race to the moon again. after the apollo moon landings nobody has reached the moon (or if the theories are correct) no human has ever reached the moon. Then this might just recreate the Great Space Race.

hey, very cool, but I bet it'll cost more than 30 million to make something that can send it there so... hey! how about we all take out a house loan, band together and create our own Xisto rover? I'd call it... Rover 17. Catchy, huh? :P

I think this is really good, Google is really supporting and giving an opportunity to the technology/robotics field with this contest. If I was in that field I would really be interested. If there was a Xisto rover I think a really good name for it would be the T17 Rover.

That is a fantastic idea! But just a few pictures and videos is a bit to little... What would make it even greater is if they would send the rover down where Apollo landed to prove once and for all if we have really been on the moon. That way a lot more people would be interested in this exploration.But why doesn't Google just hire the Russians to do it... They are sending tourists so I'm sure that for the right amount of money they would also send a rover to the moon. Guess Google hopes it will give ordinary people a shot of making history. (by ordinary I mean non-governmental organizations which nevertheless have countless millions of dollars to invest)

considering how much money google have, and the amount of time and money it would take to make and programme a roveer, to do that, then make a lauch thing, $30 milion isnt very much money.I cant imagine why they want to do that though.Maybe they are trying to out-do microsoft, as microsoft recently released the world wide telescope. And so the google-microsoft war continues