xisto Community
megabytemb

30000 Terabyte Hard Drive

The way technology moves forward, 300 TB on a 3.5-inch hard drive may not seem so big in 2010. But here in 2009, it's a lot of data, especially when Seagate's largest single hard drive capacity is a paltry 750 GB in comparison.
-Correction- The 300 TB is actually terabits, and not terabytes. Therefore, the new Seagate drive in 2010 will store approximately 37.5 terabytes, and while that's just over 10 times smaller than a real 300 terabyte drive, it's still massive compared to the drives we are using today. And who knows what we'll have by 2011, or 2012!

The technology used today to expand hard drive capacities is called perpendicular recording, where bits are recorded to a hard drive in a vertical fashion, instead of horizontal, allowing many more bits to be recorded into the same physical space.

To pull the 37.5 terabyte (or 300 terabit) rabbit out of the hat, technology comes to the rescue once again. This time, Seagate will use a technology called heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR). These isn't much detail on exactly how this works, but a single square inch of hard disk space will be able to store 50 terabits of data.

According to an online report from Joystiq, this is enough to store the entire 'Library of Congress' without needing to use any compression. It will also be enough to store 6,144 50 GB Blu-ray discs. That would be tens of thousands of standard DVD discs, hundreds of thousands of CDs and probably billions of photos.

There are concerns about losing 37.5 terabytes of data to a hard drive crash, but if 37.5 TB is truly the norm in 2010, buying a spare 37.5 TB to back it all up to won't be that expensive. Defragging tools had better dramatically speed up, or a defrag might take days - unless, as has been pointed out, you're using a file system that doesn't need defragmentation like NTFS.

We don't hear too much these days about holographic storage or where that will be by 2010, nor do we know how much capacity flash storage will offer by 2010. Still, an iPod nano sporting 1 TB of storage on flash memory may well be a reality by 2010, too.

Storage. It really is the answer to the space we need for our digital lives. Space is the final frontier, after all, although I'm sure Captain Kirk would laugh at the impossible prospect of flying the huge Enterprise starship through the 300 terabits of space contained on a 3.5-inch hard disk platter.

:PB)B):P:PB):D

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything copied need to have Quote tags placed around it.
http://www.itwire.com/itwire-latest-news

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

omg that is just too big. think of all the Beep you can store on that sucker. I would hate to guess of just how many MP3. But honestly, why would anyone want a HDD that big unless your gonna run a major server or something like that.

3000 TB is serious overkill for the current level of home usage, and I suspect, much of the corporate usage too.I currently have approx 3 TB and I am happy with that much space :D ! I agree, defragging such large drives manually is a huge waste of time. I use the excellent automatic defragmenter called Diskeeper 2009 that automatically defrags these large drives in the background whenever essential. I can even continue to work during that process without a problem, so right now, it's not an issue for me.Defragging 3000 TB would take a week atleast. But more importantly if you have a 3000TB drive,...you'll need 6000 TB totally...3000 for your main drive and another 3000 to backup that drive!!! And what about backup times? OMG...what happens if the 3000TB crashes and you lose the xyzillions of vidoes and mp3s on it. :P

hey i read in some windows xp magazine that scientists over in America made a 30000 terabyte hard drive by using nano technology and adding believe it or not, water to the hard drive.how sick would it be to have a hdd that BIG

wow, i can't imagine how many files we can store on that thing

On a 30000 TB HDD I would save all the music, movies, books, programs and documents available. And I still think I would have space left.I would like something that big.. Too bad it would take forever to search for a file or even index it. I'm currently using a 500 GB HDD, but it's too small :D

3000 TB is serious overkill for the current level of home usage, and I suspect, much of the corporate usage too.
I currently have approx 3 TB and I am happy with that much space :D ! I agree, defragging such large drives manually is a huge waste of time. I use the excellent automatic defragmenter called Diskeeper 2009 that automatically defrags these large drives in the background whenever essential. I can even continue to work during that process without a problem, so right now, it's not an issue for me.

Defragging 3000 TB would take a week atleast. But more importantly if you have a 3000TB drive,...you'll need 6000 TB totally...3000 for your main drive and another 3000 to backup that drive!!! And what about backup times? OMG...what happens if the 3000TB crashes and you lose the xyzillions of vidoes and mp3s on it. :P

And I thought I was insane por pratically filling a 180gb one. There aren't too many that have over this HDD space though, and if you're able to find it you would have to pay a high amount... I think that with 1 o at max 2tb I would be fine.

i personally belive that we will not be seeing a 30000 terrabyte until the nest couple of descates at least.. at the rate of which technology is moving it may be in the nest decate and by then we would have extremely fast processers that can handle as much space becasue it would be pointless to have huge space that is moving slow...who would really want that?

Wow that's a lot of space. My laptop has got only 80GB and is almost finished >.<. Maybe they will incorporate this in the next generation of computers!

yeah its right LOL,but i didnt know they water the hard disk.but 30000 tb its quite large but i can believe because as you told they made using nanotechnology and its quite possible because nanotechnology is used for such massive purposes only.