xisto Community
Atthack

110mb Hosting What happened to FREE hosting?

From what I have read here, I am kinda of glad to hear that others have had the same problems as me with 110mb. I only joined it about 2 years ago, and already some of the features were starting to lack. What really got me was the change of the MySQL servers, to a paid option. However, at the time, we could post 50 posts on the forums to have a free activation before this change. I found this tedious for one little option, but I wanted it so I did it. Once I had the posts, the email I sent did not get reviewed in time, and I did not get my MYSQL. Needless to say that after that, I have been looking around. I have to say that even though my site is not activated yet, I see that this place is very well managed and very fair. I also personally prefer forums with longer more detailled posts with substance. It makes for a far more richer experience, which is why I love this place already!

I would have to say 110 is the best hosting wise for what you get even without the mysql(i used freemysql.net for that). The only problem is is like Attach said, it slows down alot and you have to post alot just to get mysql and all these other features, i hate having to post alot to get some things. Except here because you stay active here thats all you have to do not post 350 mesages a day in order to stay with the host!! 110 is by far the best for many reasons it gets a thumbs down, maybe in a year or two ill go check back on it to see what they have changed <_<

I don't know about it honestly I haven't tried it and I cannot say whether it is good or not. However one thing is for certain the problem with such hosting s is that people woring on them want to start earning money after while and because of such thing when they become fond of money and simple advertising is not enough for them anymore they go and search for such things and try to exploit their customers as much as they can.This must change andd this is one of the main reasons why I am here on Xisto and in few months it will be year long I am using it and isnce that time everything went OK no problems and if there were some they qwere solved in timely manner. For me Xisto is the best free web hosting eventhough you have to write in forums and be active.However in each good story there are bad lines beeing drawn and because of that I have one think about or shell I say the only thing I found on Xisto that I don't like or dislike is the point system since it is becoming harder and harder to keep up with points why Because more you have that is more points you have more posts and words you have to include in your posts. I don't see any logical reasons why would this be good thing to do ??????

I recently made 5USD of my 110mb.com account that I mentioned earlier. It had those features which you can only get by posting and paying, but I didnt have to do anything. So 110mb.com is good for something. The MySQL is so bad(at least was when I was there) that it wouldn't load even 100kb of my database when I wanted to move. So users are unable to back up their databases. That's a disaster waiting to happen. On Xisto I backup my databases daily(using an automatic script). I've had to use a backup once which saved my forum, and saved a lot of lost information. If you want a place to store files or just for playing around with web stuff, 110mb.com is good. For running a community, I wouldn't recommend it.

i can still remeber 110mb without the ads way way before just like this one. And they are the best before, its a pity that they bombard your site with ads now and some features are bogus

I tried 110mb and i have to say i did not like it one bit. You have to pay for features like my sql and others when there are completely other free website that offer so much more.To me the service that 110mb offers is not worth the time to try and set up a website.

I tried 110mb and i have to say i did not like it one bit. You have to pay for features like my sql and others when there are completely other free website that offer so much more.
To me the service that 110mb offers is not worth the time to try and set up a website.

It didn't use to be that way. I had a host on 110mb once, which I've explained in earlier posts.

They had quite the service, but they decided to oversell a bit with 100 Gb of bandwidth (previously, they only had 10,000 MB.) After that, they started taking off quite a few features. I think 110mb is trying to stop overselling and make themselves seem cheap and unattractive.

I think their service was too good. It attracted so many people, and they couldn't handle the large costs because of all the people making accounts. They had a donation system up asking people to donate to keep the service alive. I think in the end they had to start charging to cover the bills of such a popular service. I don't think they had any choice in the end.

Obviously it was just a ploy to downgrade users, using an almost seemingly legit reason. Hah.THe thing that was probably playing through their minds was. We've offered a good service, what if all thesefree accounts, would be to changed to Paid hosting? Splendid! Not... Changes like that would probably onlyconvice 20% to change to paid hosting. Maybe even less, maybe they even took that in account.All in all, i can understand why they did it (for t3h bucks). But whatever. A free host is a free host and what youpay is what you get (were talking about long terms, in which most hosts only last 3-4 years max). Lets hopethere are companies Arhem* that can show us a different light.

Obviously it was just a ploy to downgrade users, using an almost seemingly legit reason. Hah.THe thing that was probably playing through their minds was. We've offered a good service, what if all these
free accounts, would be to changed to Paid hosting? Splendid! Not... Changes like that would probably only
convice 20% to change to paid hosting. Maybe even less, maybe they even took that in account.

All in all, i can understand why they did it (for t3h bucks). But whatever. A free host is a free host and what you
pay is what you get (were talking about long terms, in which most hosts only last 3-4 years max). Lets hope
there are companies Arhem* that can show us a different light.

What you pay is what you get... so you get nothing on Xisto for being a good member of the community... I understand what you mean.

Most hosts only last about 3 to 4 years because they grow too quickly... Xisto has only been here for about 3 years... we'll see what happens in 2 more.

The whole paying for MySQL thing stinks, I had a site there, and I had to have a lot of the dynamic content... *Shudders* Remotely Hosted... EW! I didn't know they used to provide that for free, but now that I do, I think it was really silly of them to change it. You can get a MySQL database just about anywhere for free, so why would anyone who needs MySQL PAY to get it there? The only reason I could think would be that they have good uptime and faster loading times then a lot of free hosts, but there are also plenty of free hosts with equally good uptime and speed (E.G. Xisto) that don't cost a penny. The only thing about 110MB that would make me choose it over T17 is the forum posting, but I'd go for the forum posting over the lack of MySQL and other stuff. Anyway, yeah forget 110mb. :lol:

They should stop calling them self "a free host" if the users need to pay for such things listed on first page. I always gets pissed if I register to a host, and then I have to pay for things... I believe that has happened with 110mb too. How annoying.

They should stop calling them self "a free host" if the users need to pay for such things listed on first page. I always gets pissed if I register to a host, and then I have to pay for things... I believe that has happened with 110mb too. How annoying.

Very trye. But, their basic service is "free", so they aren't technically lying. It's not that they're not a free host anymore - just that they're a really crappyone.