xisto Community
Will.Allison

Anti-computer Parents And why they are bad

Most parents don't like their children on the computer or TV a lot. From my personal experience this was a bad thing. From spending a lot of time on the computer, I have become much more intelligent. I have learned very good problem solving techniques when something is wrong with my computer or website. I use these same techniques I learned from being on the computer and apply them to real-life situations. It is also an excellent resource for ANYTHING. If your child is ambitious enough, he can learn anything he needs for doing anything. I think I have learned more from the internet than in all my years of school. Now, you want your child to have a social life. So I can understand not letting him/her using the computer all day. But if he's at home with nothing to do, let him, or better yet, encourage him to use the computer.Agree? Disagree? Please post your response.

I both agree and disagree. Your uses for the computers are different than others. You see some may choose to use the computer just for myspace or just for computer games and parents don't want them to waste their time playing games and turn into a lazy person. I can understand not wanting their kids on all the time but maybe if they have spare time their parents can moderate their use on the computer and have them go to some educational sites for a while and then let them do whatever the want. Or switch off and if they want to use the computer in their time when they have nothing to do they can read a book on one day and use the computer on the other. But I can sort of see where the parents are coming from because using the computer can become addicting.

As a "KID" myself I don't have problems with my parents (atleast when it goes for the computer).When I was small(er) however, they always limited my time to sit on wether it be PLAYSTATION or COMPUTER.Now (I go to High School) and I can sit up as long as I wish. (With the due respect that I can actually figure out bedtimes myself ;P)Problem is my parents are "idiots" at computers, internet, MSN? It's a lot of stuff to take in. They might say whatever they want - For my studying I won't be doing else but to be on a laptop / desktop computer, so somehow it'll sink in for them to accept the fact that it's just the way today's society is.

I would agree with limits. Now obviously it is true you can pretty much learn how to make a nuclear bomb from the internet (I know exaggeration, but you know what i mean); however, if the child doesn't want to learn while on the computer and instead just play games or surf the web (and I don't mean the good side of the web) then it can become a problem. I would only encourage my child to be on the computer if he/she was going to use it to learn, not to just play games or idly roam the internet.

Now obviously it is true you can pretty much learn how to make a nuclear bomb from the internet (I know exaggeration,

I wouldnt be so sure.... ive learned many things i shouldnt know from the internet!

I also agree that limits are needed. Im 18 and always on the net and my parents dont mind, probably because im 18 but theyve never really given me limits, maybe theyre just kind! Who knows?!

Thing is that as other people have said if a 12yr old kid is surfing myspace 24/7 they need to be told to get off the computer for their sanity, intelligence and most of all their safety.

I like to think i use the internet for communication and research, im regularly surfing howstuffworks.com or finding out how to do something in PHP, i hate things like myspace so im hardly ever on there and i would be happy for any of my children, if i had any, to follow the same route on the internet. Rather than just gaming and being on IM i would like it if they used it to explore the world and the things that are going on in it and meet new friends, with caution of course!

Your parents are not bad. Certainly you can learn a lot of things on a computer, including how to build bombs. You can do many useful things and learn about any subject you wish. But there are a lot of things you cannot learn on a computer. Like dealing with real people, face to face. Dealing with the situations that come along in life. Don't even say you can socialize with people in a chat room, they are not "Real" people. You can't learn about anything real on a computer. How a rose smells or a home grown tomato tastes. And there are the health risks too. What good is it to have all this intelligence if you are too weak to get up and use it?

Sitting on one's butt in front of the PC all day can do bad things too, ya know. It can mess with your eyesight. You don't get exercise. You eventually forget what that big, burning ball of gas in the sky looks like. So spending a lot of time on the computer has some benefits, but it can be detrimental as well. It's Mom and Dad's job to try and help kids and teenagers learn how to balance the time spent on the computer versus the time spent doing everything else. My parents limited my computer time when I was a kid too. But once I bought my own computer and started helping pay the Internet account bill, they didn't really say a whole lot to me. Stepping up and showing a little maturity seems to help many parents figure out that the teen in question is learning how to be responsible...and therefore does not need quite as much input from Mom and Dad.As for all the things that you've learned thanks to being on the computer: that's not the world's greatest argument. I still gain quite a bit of my knowledge from books...even though I spend quite a bit of time online every day. :XD:

Back in the day, your parents didn't have access to computers like you do now. So when they see you more on the computer and less doings the stuff they did (ex. being outside a lot more) then they don't think it's normal.

Depends on what the kid actually does. If the kid sits and plays on the computer all day, well thats bad obviously. The internet is a great place to gain access to information you may not find in a bookstore/library near you, although relying to heavily on the internet for information is not a good idea imo.

Most parents don't like their children on the computer or TV a lot. From my personal experience this was a bad thing. From spending a lot of time on the computer, I have become much more intelligent.

I agree with that last bit. Computers and the Internet hold a vast amount of information, and they are great for research, or just for expanding your own knowledge on a particular topic. I have even been able to persuade my parents to use the computer when they need to look things up (although my dad just uses it to complete crosswords now :XD:).

I have learned very good problem solving techniques when something is wrong with my computer or website. I use these same techniques I learned from being on the computer and apply them to real-life situations.

Most jobs now require both problem solving skills and a good working knowledge of computers. Working on computers regularly means you will be able to use computers faster than those who just take a short training course for a job. As for the problem solving and other skills, I have actually put them on my university applications for next year. They are all useful skills that employers (and admissions tutors :)) like to see.

Now, you want your child to have a social life. So I can understand not letting him/her using the computer all day. But if he's at home with nothing to do, let him, or better yet, encourage him to use the computer.

Out where I live I am miles from anywhere and anyone, except for the few people in my village. I spend a lot of my time on the computer talking to other people. Some of these people are only a few miles away from me, while others are on the other side of the world. My parents say that they used to phone their friends, or use CB radios. Well, phoning them costs money, so surely typing or using VOIP, which are both free, is just as good? And being able to talk to people all over the world (such as here at Xisto) is surely better on a computer than sending expensive airmail letters? 

lots of good stuff here.With me , I didnt have the issue of the computer, since we never had a computer in my home. I actually didnt own my first pc until I was 19. Now I used it at school, and I used it at a friends house, and I have to say those where some ancient times, I mean i remember the day AOL launched, yes sir, my friend and I were one of the the first few that roamed thru the many chat boards. aol had t offer, and oh my god it wa an addiction unfortunatley it wasnt every day for me.But as far as tv and video games now that was different for me, since i had those things and as parents say look athim glued to the tv. yes I was. i did not want to move unless i needed a RR break, and even then i would wait as long as possible.gaming and watching the tv was the biggest thing I had. and as Will Smith said " Parents Just don't Understand "We were and are in a time with many changes they talk to use about the old days and what thjey had to do. but the reality is the times have changed, but I also understand thet there are limits to thnigs we do or shoudl do. realisticly yes I would love to spend 12 hours non stop gaming or on my pc, but i have to also be responsible and take care of other things..But the times have changed and parents need to be more interactive with the the new technology.

parents are dumb

Anti-computer Parents

Replying to Will.Allison

They limit your time quite simply because they didnt have these things as a kid and they don't think you should either and to add to that parents are terrible at computers in general my mom thinks thaT if you open msn everything runs faster idk I agree

-reply by jesus

yeah i way agree. i like playing rugby and getting active but still in my spare time i always like to get onto the computer: its relaxing and interesting - you never know what you're going to learn next from the internet. i know someone whos parents are really strict when it comes to using the tv and computer. he can't use his computer during the week and cant use it in his bedroom. he also can't watch much tv. i mean my parents wanted me to watch tv! even though they mainly wanted me to watch the news; its still tv right? like using the computer 10 hours a day or something is ridiculous even numbers much less than that can be dangerous but getting on for a few hours when you got nothing to do is great.

Most parents don't like their children on the computer or TV a lot. From my personal experience this was a bad thing. From spending a lot of time on the computer, I have become much more intelligent. I have learned very good problem solving techniques when something is wrong with my computer or website. I use these same techniques I learned from being on the computer and apply them to real-life situations. It is also an excellent resource for ANYTHING. If your child is ambitious enough, he can learn anything he needs for doing anything. I think I have learned more from the internet than in all my years of school.
Now, you want your child to have a social life. So I can understand not letting him/her using the computer all day. But if he's at home with nothing to do, let him, or better yet, encourage him to use the computer.

Agree? Disagree? Please post your response.

Damn straight! My parents try to steer me away from it on school nights but yer i guess they're right but I still go on it when I don't and do have assignments or tests the next day.

The thing is they are up in my face about studying doing my homework when I am a very good student. The worst thing was that I was finally in the right on a weekend (did all my homework and nothing was due or no tests were near) but they decided to kick me off it because I was on it to much. It was a freaking weekend, and guess what they told me to do. Go watch T.V. Which happens to be a massive flat screen. Does not make sense! :lol:

If I were a parent, IF, my kids would hate me :lol: as I would lock down pretty much everything have them only be able to access the Microsoft website to learn from until they turn 18 ^_^. Unless of course they needed to do research then I would let them access to a search engine to get their search on and what not, but odds are I have tracking software and a key logger to keep tabs on what they are doing on their. Of course, it is not about be evil and letting him or her have no life but their are sick people out there who have nothing else better to do then target children from bullying to convincing them that they need to blow up a school or some junk like that.So it isn't really about being anti-computer its the fact most parents have no idea what their kids are doing on there or how to protect them properly and so they keep them off that computer as much as possible unless it is school related and what not. Of course, if it is the only computer in the house then you do not need them to mess it up and download a virus or anything :D.