xisto Community

Telnet is a system of communication between different computers, often in completely different physical locations. It allows you to run console or shell commands on a computer, without having to be sat in front of it, over a TCP/IP network (either a LAN or the Internet). For example, you could connect via telnet to a server, create directories, copy files, or do any other command you could use by being sat in front of that machine.

As for a free download, if you are on Unix or Linux then you should already have some telnet application or commands available to you. For those running Windows, PuTTY is a good choice. For the Mac, I have no idea, but I'm sure a search for "telnet mac" or something similar would help.

Also for a bit of background history, telnet was the earliest form of communication either for people to communicate or for computers to Communicate. In the 1970s and 1980s MUDS scored huge using the telenet service for people to play early RPG's through the ARPAnet and the early versions of the internet. Although Telnet is barely used anymore or at least I don't think it is being used anymore; Microsoft still has the telnet program within the operating system and actually believe some Mud's still use telnet, but I won't go looking for one or start playing them again.

Sorry for posting in an old topic, but I recently got involved with telnet. To connect using Windows go to the command prompt and type:

telnet domain.com

Most telnets then give you an option to register from that point.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ has a good list of currently active BBSs from aroudn the world.

telnet is something like utillizing the resourse of another computer ie)telnet server. in my college there is LAN connected throughout the campus. there is a centralized unix server with telnet facilities. we can connect to that unix server whenever we want through the telnet ip of the unix server. this is very important since unix OS cannot be installed in every system. i find this system very usefull. we have to work in unix for our academic purposes quite often so this is only viable option.thus telnet can very well put to very good use in many fields of application.

The only time I ever got to use Telnet was to interface with an old router. Nowadays, most routers have an integrated web interface for configuration, making it easy for people without any knowledge of Telnet to access and modify the settings as they wish to.From what I have seen, Telnet is more of an obselete piece of technology still shipped with operating systems of the future.

Telnet is epic!The router web interfaces only have limited options and my router takes much longer to restart (both the time taken to access the page, login click through menus and the actual process of restarting) so by using telnet, or the console in linux i can initiate the restart in about 3 seconds and have it back within 20 or 30.

Hi!Telnet is a pretty neat utility that you can use to get access to a command line interface to a computer. If you've got any version of Microsoft Windows for the desktop or the server newer than Windows 2000, you can enable the Telnet service and can telnet to your computer remotely from over the network, and possibly even over the Internet (some Intenet Service Providers block certain ports, possibly because they want their users to move to a business plan if they intend to provide business services to their clients). UNIX and Linux based systems usually include Telnet but have been moving away from it and toward secure shell, which provides much better security. The added security, however, comes at the expense of speed because if you are working on a very slow network connection, any added overhead counts. Imagine scrolling through a whole screen of text and waiting for a whole five seconds after pushing the Page Down key - if you could cut down that time from five seconds to under four seconds, you wouldn't really mind being on an unsecured network connection if you are working across a wired local area network connection while on a virtual private network connection to your office.You can write PHP scripts with a Telnet connection while having nothing more than a vi or emacs editor and a web server configured to serve PHP pages. Some Telnet servers are black and white while other support colors and provide you with syntax highlighting when working within text editors and provide colors to distinguish between different types of files in directory listings.