xisto Community
jlhaslip

Skype / Xampp Port Conflict How to overcome the problem

Hi!I used XAMPP and Skype, but XAMPP was configured to start up when Windows starts up so it gets to use port 80 before Skype even gets to start up - Skype probably fails silently when it cannot use port 80 because the use of port 80 is not critical to the functionality of Skype. Perhaps people who are installing XAMPP with Skype running would get the problem - after installing XAMPP, when they start Apache with the XAMPP control panel with Skype turned on, XAMPP wouldn't be able to get the port but if they use the XAMPP control panel to select the checkbox to install Apache as a service and then restart the computer, XAMPP's Apache would start up even before the user logs in so Skype isn't even in the picture.The way I run XAMPP is with a different port. I typically use something memorable so I can type it in without having to look up what the port is each time.BTW, it is possible for multiple applications to share a port but that's a tale for another forum discussion thread.

I also had this issue before, apache couldn't start on localhost, so I restarted windows and it worked, thought ok, but as I always turn on WAMP services when I need and not on startup, it didn't work again, that is when I understood that Skype is using port 80 as alternative.So now everytime I install Skpye, I remove the checkbox and don't permit it to use port 80 at all and don't have these kind of problems anymore as I don't see any reason for skype to use port 80 at all at my machine, same with 443 for https.Usually the alternative 8118 or 8080 is also used by other services.To check which ports are in use you can use NMAP or NETSTAT if you don't have NMAP on your computer:In command line/shell just type: netstat -an or netstat -oand if you have NMAP you can just call it:nmap -sS 127.0.0.1and you'll get the services running on ports on that ip address, which is your computer.NMap is a port scanning tool where netstat is not. :)

Aug 02/2012Just installed xammp and skype on a new laptop and the procedure has changed a little bit.In Skype, select Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection and then un-tick the Port 80 selection.

Aug 02/2012Just installed xammp and skype on a new laptop and the procedure has changed a little bit.In Skype, select Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection and then un-tick the Port 80 selection.

Old post, I know, but thanks! I had just been closing down Skype when I wanted to do development. I wasn't aware that you could change the ports Skype runs on!