xisto Community
jlhaslip

Skype / Xampp Port Conflict How to overcome the problem

XAMPP is a software package which installs a copy of the Apache Server, Mysql, PHP and Perl onto a Windows computer and allows for local development of PHP and Mysql scripts without the need for uploading onto your Hosting account to test for errors, etc. A really simple to install set of softwares for those who need it. The manual install of all of these softwares can be difficult, but the Installer supplied by XAMPP reduces the difficulty factor down to a single download and essentially a one-click install.SKYPE is a software which allows using the Internet to make phone calls and also offers a Chat service within the same software package. Works well. For a small fee, you can also have Skype become your phone provider, somehow, I am not exactly certain how it all works but apparently it is cheaper than a land line and works for cell phones, too.Now, the purpose of this Tutorial is to explain that I have had XAMPP installed for a couple of months now, and have never had any problems with it that weren't my own doing, sort of. Like when you delete a folder and those scripts won't run any more isn't really a software issue, is it.Recently, I have not been able to use the Apache Server on my machine and have been perplexed by why it didn't work. I un-installed, downloaded a new version, re-installed, etc, several times, but nope, no go... Today it became an absolute neccessity that I test a script so I really needed the Xampp to be properly functioning, so away I go to the Google thing and try to find the problem.Well... I have only had Skype for a couple of weeks now, and it works terrific, BUT, by searching out this problem, I discovered that Skype uses PORT 80 on the Computer as a secondary PORT for communicating with the Main Server. Guess which PORT Apache uses??? Right, PORT 80... CONFLICT...The fix is as simple as firing up Skype, selecting TOOLS > OPTIONS > Connections and un-checking the use of PORT 80 as an alternative port for incoming calls. Then close and re-open Skype. Simple, easy and quick.So save yourself a bunch of headaches and if you have an Apache Server installed and also want Skype to run along side it, this is the fix...* Edit*Aug 02/2012Just installed xammp and skype on a new laptop and the procedure has changed a little bit.In Skype, select Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection and then un-tick the Port 80 selection

Edited by jlhaslip
new skype info (see edit history)

Or you can go vice-versa. :unsure: If you know how to edit the httpd.conf file for Apache, you can tell Apache to "listen" to port 8080 (the alternative for port 80) and then restart Apache after the modifications have been applied. The only problem with this is instead of typing in the regular LOCALHOST/ in the URL (Address) bar, you'll have to type in LOCALHOST:8080/ But, like always, convenience comes with a price. :(

This solution also fixed a conflict I had with beyondTV. I changed the httpd.Conf to listen on port 8080 and now it is all better. This beats turning off my beyond tv whenever I am using mysql.

Last time I had a XAMPP install, it didn't run very well. I also had Skype at the time. Maybe this was the problem. Thanks for the info, I'll try to redownload XAMPP and use this 'fix'. Hopefully I can finally get it to work.

Thank you for your information

Skype / Xampp Port Conflict

Thank you so much.

This is a useful article. I just realise xampp and skype have using the same port 80 by default.

-reply by Smithveg

Does this conflict only come into play if you are running your web server on the same machine as Skype? Running Skype on a client machine wouldn't prevent a separate server on the network from listening on port 80 would it?TIA-reply by Chuck

You can change apache port, by editing httpd.Conf in the apache folder under conf. When you double click it a window will pop up asking what to use to edit it. Just click find a program on a list and try to find note pad and use it. And then a text document will pop up and thats the config file. Just scroll down until you see #Listen 12.34.56.78:80 listen 80Change the 80 in both lines to what ever port you want. And then restart/turn on apache. And then port forward that number you made up.-reply by ryan

How do you reconfigure ports?

Skype / Xampp Port Conflict

" If you know how to edit the httpd.Conf file for Apache, you can tell Apache to "listen" to port 8080 (the alternative for port 80) and then restart Apache after the modifications have been applied."

Something else on machine must be running on port 80. Can someone please list the steps on how to edit the httpd.Conf file for Apache? Thanks!

-reply by Knowah

vice versaSkype / Xampp Port Conflict

I tried the Apache way: editing "listen 80" in the httpd.Conf file then clicking the restart xampp... Did not work! So I change it back, exit Skype and start it up again. Nothing. Ok... Unistall and reinstall Xammp. Done.All system are go. Open Skype? It opens since its using port 80 only as a default. Cool. What I'm trying to say is thanks for the alternative. Changing it in Skype took me just a few clicks and solved the problem. I didnt learn much about Apache but at least now I can learn PHP.

-reply by Frunch

Apache port is not running and not able to start apapche in servicesSkype / Xampp Port Conflict

Hi,

Whole day am searching solution for this...

Wat is the problem is...

Not able to start wampapache in services it throws an error message,

"Windows does not start wamp apache on local computer"

If I select 'Apache' services in wampserver it also throws an error message,

"Your port is actually used by

Information not avaialbe might be skype"

I disable the port option in skype also. But no use still having problem..

Any help will be appreciatable.

-reply by Kiruthika

apache canSkype / Xampp Port Conflict

Thanks for the information, finally my apache can start working. I go to apache>conf & change the port number & it was working.

-reply by tini

I really appreciate you sharing this. I was having the same problem and I could not figure out what was wrong The Skype trick took care of the problem.

Thank you
Michael Blaes

XAMPP is a software package which installs a copy of the Apache Server, Mysql, PHP and Perl onto a Windows computer and allows for local development of PHP and Mysql scripts without the need for uploading onto your Hosting account to test for errors, etc. A really simple to install set of softwares for those who need it. The manual install of all of these softwares can be difficult, but the Installer supplied by XAMPP reduces the difficulty factor down to a single download and essentially a one-click install.
SKYPE is a software which allows using the Internet to make phone calls and also offers a Chat service within the same software package. Works well. For a small fee, you can also have Skype become your phone provider, somehow, I am not exactly certain how it all works but apparently it is cheaper than a land line and works for cell phones, too.

Now, the purpose of this Tutorial is to explain that I have had XAMPP installed for a couple of months now, and have never had any problems with it that weren't my own doing, sort of. Like when you delete a folder and those scripts won't run any more isn't really a software issue, is it.

Recently, I have not been able to use the Apache Server on my machine and have been perplexed by why it didn't work. I un-installed, downloaded a new version, re-installed, etc, several times, but nope, no go... Today it became an absolute neccessity that I test a script so I really needed the Xampp to be properly functioning, so away I go to the Google thing and try to find the problem.

Well... I have only had Skype for a couple of weeks now, and it works terrific, BUT, by searching out this problem, I discovered that Skype uses PORT 80 on the Computer as a secondary PORT for communicating with the Main Server. Guess which PORT Apache uses??? Right, PORT 80... CONFLICT...

The fix is as simple as firing up Skype, selecting TOOLS > OPTIONS > Connections and un-checking the use of PORT 80 as an alternative port for incoming calls. Then close and re-open Skype. Simple, easy and quick.
So save yourself a bunch of headaches and if you have an Apache Server installed and also want Skype to run along side it, this is the fix...

I had the same problem with apache but it was not Skipe that took port 80.You can use "cmd" to look for solution. In RUN command in start menu. Type "cmd" without quotes.Now enter: netstst -a -nothen look for adresses thet ends with ":80". For example: 192.192.1.2:80 or 127.1.0.0:80 or 0.0.0.0:80.Remember the PID number in the line where is adress with ":80".Now type: tasklistFind proces that is marked with our PID number.That's the proces that uses port 80, and make confict with apache.Then try to change port on that application or remove it.