xisto Community
googlue

Are Mobile Phones Dangerous? to the users health...

Are mobile phones dangerous?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It may seem that mobile phones cause negligible radiation in comparison to microwave ovens but a simple calculation will show you the opposite.

If you talk on the cellular phone just one hour a day the whole radiation is as follows:

1 hr a day x 365 days a year = 365 hours

365 hours x 3 watts = 1095 watts

1095 watts x 10 years = 10950 watts!!!

Decide for yourself!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This calculation is not quite correct. It should be:

1 hr/day x 365 days= 365 hours

1 Watt = 1 Joule/s

365 hoursx 60 mins/hour x 60 secs/min = 1,314,000 secs

1,314,000 secs/year x 3 Watts = 3,942,000 Joules / year

So every year the cellphone emits 3,942,000 Joules, however not all of this gets absorbed by you.

Compare this energy release with that of sunlight:

The Sun emits 1370 Watts per square meter.

1370 Watts/m^2 x 0.5 m^2 = 685 Watts

1 hour x 60 mins/hour x 60 secs/min = 3,600 secs

685 Joules/s x 3,600 secs/hour = 2,466,000 Joules / hour

Compared to the energy of the Sun, the power of the cellphone is negligible. But the cellphone's energy is in microwaves while the Sun's energy is mostly in visible light, so we still can't tell if cellphones are that dangerous. I don't think that cellphones are that dangerous, but if you overuse them too too much they might be dangerous.

This calculation is also not quite correct:

View 1 is my view.

Let me give another example:

Cars are driving over a bridge with a frequency of 10 cars per minute. The bridge can handle upto 40000 kg. Each car weighs about 1000 kg.

10 cars = 10*1000 kg = 10000 kg

We then quickly find out that the bridge will break in

40000 kg / 10000 kg = 4 minutes!

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The error is that weight does not accumulate, it only counts when the cars are on the bridge. If the bridge can hold up to 40000 kg, then that means it can hold a maximum of 40 cars at one time. As long as no more than 40 cars are on the bridge at one time, the bridge will not break.

Hope you guys enjoy this physics explanation! ;)

I find this little gizmos to be very dangerous, but EM radiation is very unexplored area. But testing on myself, when talking on cellular phone for 5 hours in the row, next day my head was really sore and my ear was all red. Especially G3 generation has variable power output, depending on a speed you are achiving on the net.

Hey Guys,THE QUESTION isn't are they safe? The REAL question is how fast do you want to "cook" your brain and how many brain cells can you afford to lose? Although the final evidence isn't in it's only a question of time before some slick lawyer brings a successful class action suit for the damage CP's are causing as the scientific evidence is accumulating daily. Remember the cigarette companys??. Am not saying the CPs industry is at fault, just that at some point this society has got to stop blaming others for an individual's total lack of common sense just because they were "told" it was safe.Enough Said

Yes, mobile phones are dangerous, so are other things, like crossing the road or walking under a bridge. I would rather ask; Are they dangerous enough to affect our health? I would say no because the amounts of radiotion that are emmitted are quite low. Using the mobile phone is just one more calculated risk we take and if used correctly and carefully, there won't be any lasting effects. Obviously, someone who using the phone constantly is undertaking more risk than someone who is using it less frequently.

I have been using a mobile phone for about 3 years now and i would have to say that just talking on it is the least to worry about. In ways the phone is dangerous like using it when driving. I see at least 5 people talking on phones in there car on the way to work or the grocery store. I only use my phone in the car when someone calls me or in an emergency. I have heard about to many accidents with people using cell phones and not paying attention to the people in front of them. Cell phones affect you when operating anything by taking your attention away and you can get distracted at the work place or anywhere. I would have to say that radation from the cell phone, has it even killed anyone yet? Guessing not or else i would of heard about it, so it seems safe enough just to talk to people while out doing something.

Personally I don't think mobile phones are dangerous unless it's going to blow up in your face or whatever like someone mentioned previously. In my opinion it really depends on the person who owns the mobile phone and how they use it. Like if you're in your car and your mobile rings and you decide to answer it while you're driving and you crash, then it's your own fault isn't it? Just use a mobile responsibly and use it for what it is, a phone. Like do you really need to buy really expensive ones or have all those extra features? I guess if there's nothing wrong with your mobile phone and you're not obsessed with it and only use if when you have to, then there's no harm done.

mobile phones have ben related to brain tumers and brain damage and other types of mind problems, one article I read on the newspaper says that early research concludes that they can be linked certain diseases, I think they said cancer from it being in your pocket.....or something but I have heard from other sources that they are related to many different horribile things....

Cellphones have been said to cause health problems because of the microwaves used in the transmission of data. You wouldn't stick your head inside a microwave, so why stick a microwave next to your head?That being said, the risks these days are minimal, Especially with text messaging. The less time the phone is next to your head, the better.

The emmissions from a cell phone are well below what would be considered safe, there are more emmissions from your computer monitor than your cell.
I have seen some medical reports suggesting that EM Radiation from cell phones can affect your ability to concentrate, but I am skeptical to say the least. I am willing to believe that the EM Radiation is more harmful to young children than adults, this only makes sense since thier skulls are still developing and the EM fields can reach more areas of the brain at once since a childs head is smaller. This makes sense. The only problem with the theory that these EM Fields are dangerous is there has been no substantial linkage, and there are sources of EM Radiation all around you all day, the cell is just one source.

The only thing dangerous about cell phones is the way people use them. I see so many people driving on the freeways while talking on the phone... come on people have you never heard of handsfree set? I have even seen people so wrapped up in there phone conversation that they cross a busy intersection without looking for traffic, saw that cause a pretty bad fender bender once.

The only other danger I have ever heard of that is reported to have substantial evidence to support it is that a cell can cause explosions while at a gas station filling up. The theory is that if you are filling up and your phone rings a small spark from the light that lights up when phones ring can cause the gas fumes to ignite. However any fans of mythbusters know this isn't true Click me for details.

every time people come with something new others say it is dangerous or they say that it is something good.But what time lears is that you only know of somthing is really dangerous (or not) if after a wile that can be 10 days or years you don't know...Einstein didn't know what he put in to a formulla was oing to destroy a city and so are ther many other things that are bad (or good) for us that we thing at the time that is was invented was good for us (or bad).

I've heard that mobiles phones explode in someones hand, calling of mobiles phones in petrol kiosk will activate radiations and explode the whole area, and radiations from calling where a chemical leakage is around, and even phones that have infra-red have a special applications that can turn off and even switch channel of a television!! :D:o

lol everything you do CAN and IS dangerous... even knowing that ppl will always use phones no matter what. They're practical, full of features.. and the chance of like their blowing up in someone's hands is less to null. :lol: