xisto Community
Lyon2

Viacom Sues Youtube For Us$1 Billion Dollars The biigest sue against Google corporation (Youtube owner)

Google videos is not like youtube but, they are still breaking the law in some technical points because a lot of people upload stuff to google servers which they do not have licences to upload it nor to use it but it is not like youtube that is completely notable to anyone to see the illegal video clips and the lack of morality in a lot of video clips too, which also breaks the law because if someone creates a video clip to insult a person or a video clip to expose the personal life of a person, even a famous person, if it is proved that the person who created the video had only the purpose to destroy, he/she will go to prision or he/she will pay a huge ammount of money instead.It is somewhat complicated to the ones that do not understand nor even know the law but, most of it, in most of the cases it is all about comon sense, morality and inparcial judgement.

When the powers that be created YouTube, they HAD to have known that people would immediately begin uploading and sharing copyrighted content. If they didn't know this, then they were either very stupid...or they had a very bad legal team giving them horrible advice.YouTube should have had a plan in place a long time ago for dealing with the inevitable lawsuit. They should have seen this coming.

A little grammar lesson: $ means dollars, so saying $1 billion dollars is redundant. It should be $1 billion or 1 billion dollars.Anyways, it makes sense that Viacom will win this suit. Youtube has countless full programs taken from Viacom's networks, although I doubt it's really cost them $1 billion in damages. I expect them to get some money, but probably not the full billion.

No matter what anyone thinks is "right" what is the law? Viacom OWNS these shows. Yes, i think they didnt loose one dime to the videos on Youtube. They probably even made money when people looked through youtube and found a show they wanted and TiVo'd it. But, this not the case. The case is that Viacom OWNS the shows. They made them. I think they have all the right to sue the *BLEEP* out of Google. I love google and they do a great job at what they do, but what they did is against the law period. There shouldn't even be a discussion about it.Maybe the discussion should be, Do you think you should legaly be able to put any show from TV to the internet.I know, because i make indie movies, i would and wouldnt like people uploading my stuff. I would LOVE if people actually spent the time to upload them, but i would also like for the people to at least email me or something and tell me they did. Actually, i have over a dozen websites host my videos i have never even heard of. It's weird. I mean one day i put a video up youtube and the next 15 other sites have it.

I'm surprised YouTube is the only one being sued. No one has mentioned any of the other countless sites that also use clips without permission. If Viacom does win, YouTube will have to remove all of the videos from its website, and many people wont return. My fiance, for example, checks the site for episodes of shows he hasn't seen.What will happen to the content that is used to make fun of shows and movies? I'm talking about the clips where people talk over the voices to change what they say.

FolkRockFan, perhaps youtube's plan was to be famous and then to sell it quickly before sues, namely, viacom sue against youtube (google is the actual owner now).

It is pretty obvious that youtube latest owners had a plan, and that was to earn as much money as they could and then sell it to the highest bidder, that makes completely sense to me actually.

Besides, even if youtube had the same original owners, they must have thought that they would earn more money then money loosed in the court of law with sues from any copyrighted material used on their website.

------

RedAlert, i know that it is my mistake to put the dollar simbol and the dollar word, forgive me!

------

BooZker, we are having much more subjects for discussion besides viacom sue against youtube, we are having a discussion also related to my "sort of" questions i inserted on my first port of this topic of mine, check it out:

What do you think? Will Google (youtube owner) lose this sue against Viacom?Why google did not do anything to stop copyrights infrigement in youtube?
Did viacom sued google because it has much more money then youtube latest owners and so this is a big opportunity?

I don't like the fact that Google is being sued. I am a big fan of Google.

Viacom is clearly doing this for money. Viacom isn't trying to enforce anything.

The internet is so full of copyrighted content that they might as well give up.

It would take forever to clean up all of the copyrighted content.

Viacom should be thanking Youtube and Google. They are getting free advertising of their content.

That should be good for their business. If Viacom isn't actually doing this for the money and is trying

to get rid of their copyrighted content, I think that they just need to chill off.

It is most likely that Viacom is just trying to get rich off of Google.

duh there doing it for money lol

but, i saw something about this on either stephen colbert or daily show.

it was pretty funny, and if googles going to buy out youtube, then they should enforce the laws bestowed upon them.

its google's fault, and they should lose in my opinion.

Am I alone in being baffled by this lawsuit? First of all, Intellectual Property and the Daily Show et al??? Uhm...evidently the folks at Viacom haven't even been watching their own programming, because if they HAD, then they'd realize that the Daily Show and all of its related spin-offs are neither Intellectual nor Property. LOL. I kid, but people...c'mon! They're the most vapid (albeit extremely entertaining) faux news shows on the air! Saturday Night Live actually started that whole genre of comedy...and, frankly, they were better at it. But I digress.If you want a product (and that's all we're talking about here is product) to be successful, especially wildly successful, then you have to MARKET IT! You have to shove it down the throats of 250+ million Americans morning, day and night and create an atmosphere where they think they'll die if they don't watch the next airing. Now...you can spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising on regular network TV and other cable TV stations to try and lure people in...but, let's face it, the American public is now savvy to 99.99% of advertising gimmicks and keeping their attention for longer than 10 seconds is brutally difficult....until, that is, YOU TUBE came along!!Now you have this MONSTER merchandising mechanism that costs you NOTHING and lures 10s of millions of people to the "product" each and every day...and ALL FOR FREE! Not a penny has to be doled out. So WHAT, I ask you, WHAT is the problem here!!???Now, I admit that YouTube sooner or later is going to get smashed fat, dirty and hard by the MPAA because of GROSS violations with respect to the movie/dvd industry. They really need to get that under control and fast. But VIACOM??? Where the hell does Viacom even BEGIN to have a case?? They're contesting You Tube's offerings of broadcast TELEVISION SHOWS for Christ's sake...shows that are RECORDED on Tivo, Comcast digital services, VCRs (yes, people still have VCRs) etc. We have been recording TV shows for later viewing since the beginning of TIME and no one ever said BOO about it. WHY?? Because fewer than 1% of broadcast television ever goes to syndication, which is where easily downloaded content from the internet might be a problem. But we're not talking about that here. We're talking about shows that are extremely time sensitive and NO ONE is going to be interested in a month from now, never mind longer periods of time. I mean, seriously, is anyone interested in seeing the old shows featuring jokes about the President with Clinton was in office? It's not relevant, uninteresting and NOT funny.This is just totally BS. It seems that Viacom is only interested in opening the door for other lawsuits against YouTube and its clones with regards to more lucrative ventures like movies and other recordings that are highly profitable. They're doing this on principle to set and example and try to put a dent in the internet download fiasco. Sadly, the author of the DMCA recently admitted that all enforcement attempts have failed and the entertainment industry has failed to keep up with the technological challenges now faced by perveyors of real intellectual property...and that's REALLY where they need to be focusing their attention now!!Even if Viacom wins here, they still fail....the content they're trying to protect can't be protected due to all of the aforementioned avenues for recording it and playing it back...and there are WAY too many clones of You Tube out there right now to make it fiscally responsible to continue suing people to achieve their goals. All they'll accomplish in the end is alienating the very folks they want watching their shows! They should be kissing Google's BUTT and THANKING them for creating one of the most inexpensive marketing tools in the history of recorded media, and finding a way to leverage the technology to remain profitable and allow their show folks to make a living.pfooey

humanisfilth, it is not that simple.First of all and last, Viacom is the proper legal owner of the shows that youtube use to get massive visitors without a proper licence or even an authorization from Viacom, which is the owner of those products.Even if Viacom is only winning/earning money with youtube, even so, they have the right to stop youtube using their products without even a word, and that is the problem, youtube does not have respect for anyone's products, they just have respect for money, for the profit, and that is why youtube (google corporation) will loose "big time"!

Well it is obvious thing thAT they release that there are many videos on their site which in fact are posted there without permission of their legal owners. But it is hardly that site administrators know which clips are posted there without licence and which ar enot . Also I would like to point out that there are tools which delete videos from the website in case that it shows original material and by this they cannot be sued and I think that they will lose because youtube had secured themselves from such lawsuites and I think this is making them more popular then advertising. Also I think that you tube will soon stop its existance and that we will all have to transfer to the google videos which in fact is project by google.

I think they will, i mean, they are clearly doing something illegal.i have noticed that a lot of videos have been removed due to copyright violations.infact, i never use youtube any more, not because they got rid of lots of videos, but because removed videos, but because the videos load, and start to buffer, before you find out "this video i no longer available"Meaning, you may have to look at ten different vides, to find one that is actually there.I dont think it is fair to say that google dont care.If you imagine the huge amount of videos uploaded every day, it would not be possible, or plausible to have them all checked before upload, as they probably have atleast a week of video uploaded every day (most likely more)

I really have mixed feelings about this situation that is going on.To start off with, I completely understand why they would want to sue Google. Copyrights are being broken, true, and along with this it is Youtube's fault for not ensuring that copyrighted material is not on their server. Who owns the server? Youtube. Therefore it *is* their sole responsibility to ensure that they are not breaking laws.To break out a comparison, although quite extreme, it's like you hosting a party at your house and then someone(you don't know who) leaving their drugs under your rug or in your couch. The police aren't going to accept the "it isn't mine" story because it *is* yours by the basis that it is on your property.That is exactly the same as Youtube. Anything that is on their server is their responsibility and nobody else's.On the other hand, you have the fact that Youtube would not be where it is today were it to be much more constricted in terms of the media being posted on their site. The only real way to fix the issue would be to have each video screened ahead of time, which honestly would require too much time and manpower.Along with this, people could argue the fact that the users are the ones breaking the laws, and not the site. The site isn't the one uploading things, and instead it is the users.BUT....Youtube's software *is* converting the files. So in a sense Youtube *is* taking part in the uploading of the copyright materials.Don't get me wrong, I love Google, and like everyone else I also enjoy going to Youtube every once in a while, but I can see where people's issues are stemming from. It really makes me happy that I'm not part of Google, :)

rpgsearcherz, i do not think that the main fault is of the persons that upload copyrighted material to the youtube.com website without authorization, i think that the all concept and system of the youtube website is wrong, and so it is the google fault to let persons upload illegal content to their servers.If google wants to make things the right way, every upload should be moderated before beeing available to the website visitors/members, yes, i do know that it is a lot of work, but they do earn millions per month, so why not contract a few dozens of persons to do that work, to control and moderate and authorize (or not authorize) the uploads.That is the right/correct way, like that the chance of illegal upload of content is minimal, but they will not do it because like that, if any illegal content is uploaded, they would have to assume all the responsabilities of the act.It is a very complex subject the decision of this suit, allthough google authorized and keeps authorizing persons to upload illegal content or copyrighted content to their servers with even caring to see if it is illegal or not, and that fault of not caring a litle bit is the main fault, youtube administration has the main fault, so it is more then obvious that youtube/google will pay in the end, perhaps a nillion dollars, perhaps even more then 1 bllion, i do not know.

Wow, that is a big amount....1 BILLION in USD. Google better win this because I love Google and they need money to make better google apps........ VIACOM SUCKS~!!