xisto Community
Unregistered 012

What Time Period Would You Rather Live In? Past or Present?

Well the topic basically says it. Would you rather live in the time period were are in now, or in the past like when they used swords, shields, and bows and arrows. Personally i like the time period we live in now. For the most part because of electricity and stuff like that. The death ratio is down from getting more cures from diseases and such.But to me living in the past would be more fun and have more stuff to do. You could get away with a lot more and stuff like that. Everyone was stronger and stuff. To me it just seems cool if i could have the chance to live back then i would take it. But i do like living in this time period a lot too.Tell me what you think and what time period you would live in. Dont say something like cause of my xbox or my computer.

Humm id have to say the age of castles and archers and knights because id love to be a knight in a shining suit of armour with a sword and shield standing on the front lines (although id probably run away when the enemy charge :P ) but id miss my asthma medication and die early and have no internet but it'd still be great to be a knight, and id also love to own a castle, its my life dream!

I'm sure that whatever time period I was born in I'd be happy with because that would be what we were used to in those times. I am content with what I have now though as well, with my nice computer to use. It makes things easier. Weapon wise.... still this time period. Although in the end I don't think it'd really matter. I wouldn't mind living in any time period for a little while... say if we could travel in the past.

I would like to have lived in the late 1800s or early 1900s just because i think it would be fun. I would love to learn how to ball room dance and sweep a girl off of her feet. Also, i think the ladies back then dressed in a more suitable manor. They covered up but the dresses and such that they were showed off what they had and really were quite sexy. Guess i am old fashioned but i just think that it would have been a more romantic and fun time for dating and even finding someone to marry than it is now.

You could get away with a lot more and stuff like that. Everyone was stronger and stuff.

Say, my good man, might you happen to have some piece of land that lies fallow this time? I mean to till its earth and reap its fruits for a while. You are a nice man, eh? Oh, and while you're at it, prithee spare a few scraps for your brother, this fellow about to die of starvation. There's a good man :P

Humm id have to say the age of castles and archers and knights because id love to be a knight in a shining suit of armour with a sword and shield standing on the front lines

Ahh, yes. The past does inspire the RPG gamer within all of us who wish to do away with people like lawyers, politicians and bureaucrats and replace them with snarling barbarians, uneducated tribesmen or cannibalistic savages. What's the difference, you ask? :D

I, personally, would like to steal from people back then. If anything, I'd probably be the richest bandit alive ever to wield the quarterstaff :)

Weapon wise.... still this time period. Although in the end I don't think it'd really matter.

Oh, I dunno. I think I would prefer it if people just grabbed each other's throats or knocked craniums with quarterstaves. It may be cruel but, at the very least, you hit only your foe. With guns and bombs nowadays, collateral damages seem to be the norm, which is not nice, mind you. Not nice at all.

I would love to learn how to ball room dance and sweep a girl off of her feet. Also, i think the ladies back then dressed in a more suitable manor. They covered up but the dresses and such that they were showed off what they had and really were quite sexy.

I can't say I entirely disagree. I do concede that a refined and cultured girl is, indeed, a rare treasure nowadays. However, back then...

1. We, girls... Okay, so maybe I wasn't a woman in my past life. Anyway, girls wore bulky crinolines, which made it impossible to seat one's self at gatherings.

2. Under that, we wear several petticoats and a pair of long pantaloons, just in case a strong wind blew.

3. We also have layers upon layers of clothing as our tops. Robes, coats and that thing they tighten from behind, which was supposed to push your stomach, as we know it, upwards into your boobs so you'd have that dream figure.

4. There is no airconditioning back then. In a crowded hall, beneath heaps of yards of clothes, with no hopes of getting seated and dancing the whole night away, it's a surprise we don't faint. I mean, it's a surprise they don't faint :P

I guess I could say, "Wow, women back then were so... strong," 'coz really, women today are also strong but only in that they assert themselves, sometimes a bit too aggressively. When they want to sit, they will sit, fv(< the )@mn etiquette, fv(< the world :D

I would love to live in from the 1600 back to the beginning of time; where I could have lived in the forest and no one would have cared. I could have bathed in the rivers and slept in moss under a dogwood tree. I could have stayed out of society and eaten fresh dandilions, berries, wholesome un-gentically modified grains and breads. I could have made a little extra money playing the lute or fulte or fiddle on the town street, had a grand night on the town, drinking yummy dark brew pub beer or fresh wine with out sulfites and slipped back into my mossy meadow paradise at dawn to wash my face in dew before making some delicious herbal tea and wild mushroom soup. In the winter I would have migrated to warmer climates to do more of the same.

hmm I would say I would want to be either at the beginning of the Roman Empire, The reason I say that, is that you could in a way prove the myth of Romulus and Remus and if they had any part in the founding of Rome. With the Fall of the Roman Empire, Europe would see it's darkest years for almost 1000 years. I would want to live the last 10 years of the Roman Empire just see how they were able handle this. With the Midieval times we would see true nature of human civilization or it's savagery. Of course I wouldn't mind finding out who reall discovered America first the Vikings in the early 1000's or the the Spanish with Christopher Colimbus.Also I wouldn't mind living in Ancient Egypt either just to how they became sophisticated in 5000 years (give or take). Of course my best answer would be to go to the different time lines and either disprove or prove of what are history writes in it's book, we all the the ultimate timeline most everyone would want to go and that is see if Jesus really existed.

Where I live, on the border of india and tibet, we don't have electricity except in the valleys, and net connections only in the plains. And when I'm at the ryu, which is half way up a mountain, there's no electricity and I sleep on a mat on the hard stone floor.It's not a bad life. We train a lot, are very healthy, so don't really need medicine. People do fall ill sometimes, but they fight it off in a day or two. I guess tibetans and nepalis are a hardy folk. I like this lifestyle, and I wouldn't mind living in the past either. Even if it meant dying in battle, etc. To live by the sword and die by the sword isn't half as bad as people think - there are worse ways to die. Having been in plenty of combats, I'd say a death in combat is a pretty easy and even rather interesting way out of life. As opposed to kidney disease, for example, or senility.If I were to choose a time to live in the future, I'd choose a time when humans were reaching out for the stars. To voyage into infinity - there is a life for a warrior.

well, our past is more like tribal and not medieval with all the swords and castles. but i find your response to your own topic very biased, and nonsense perhaps. basically because you compared two eras that are very different from each other and you just supported your answer by saying that "it's because there's electricity". that's just normal for a person who has lived his entire life in an era where the houses are lit up with light bulbs and televisions run in full color. and to live in an era that doesn't have electricity would just make your life not worthwhile. basically our time is just an output of the struggles of the past. that life today is a bit improved (for lack of a better term) compared to the past, with all the convenience and luxury that wasn't even discovered during the past.with that said, i would like to live in a time where witches were accused because of their beliefs, and burned at the stake, not because i want to see how they do their executions, but because i want to know more about their culture and how they live through life and stuff, and their rituals as well. i think that's something cool.

1970s would've been retro like with the clothes, hairstyle and so forth.. especially with the rise (and fall) of disco in that decade, the bright colours and as some may say.. the less restrictions in many countries.. despite the wars and so forth going on at the time (ie Cold War, Vietnam) and so forth. One thing I'd probably give a miss is the 80s, considering down here in aust at the time was the shocking hairstyle of the mullet.As for prehistoric, I'd have to say the stone ages, esp with the likes of the weaponsmiths and so forth. To some lesser extent, maybe the early days of Australia prior to federation.

well, our past is more like tribal and not medieval with all the swords and castles. but i find your response to your own topic very biased, and nonsense perhaps. basically because you compared two eras that are very different from each other and you just supported your answer by saying that "it's because there's electricity". that's just normal for a person who has lived his entire life in an era where the houses are lit up with light bulbs and televisions run in full color. and to live in an era that doesn't have electricity would just make your life not worthwhile. basically our time is just an output of the struggles of the past. that life today is a bit improved (for lack of a better term) compared to the past, with all the convenience and luxury that wasn't even discovered during the past.
with that said, i would like to live in a time where witches were accused because of their beliefs, and burned at the stake, not because i want to see how they do their executions, but because i want to know more about their culture and how they live through life and stuff, and their rituals as well. i think that's something cool.

How is my topic biased?

I think I have it pretty good when I am now. Many hardships have been overcome since the beginning of history. All that said, If I had to pick, I'd go for the time period of the naturalists in the nineteenth century, like Lamarck and Darwin, or maybe the time when psychological study was beginning with Freud. To be involved or even just reading about it as it was happening must have been pretty electrifying.

if i could live in any time period, i'd probably choose to live in this time period. I'm really into electronics and all the newer stuff of today. back in the past, things were very different. For one, woman werent treated as equal, the poor were treated like dirt, and every single person had to worship the king irregardless of their thoughts on the person. People also didnt have a say in what was going on. Back then, it was the son of the king who was the new king and he got to decide on all the rules, now you elect a person who you want to be in power and the person with the most votes is the person who will make the decisions. Back in the olden times, a lot of people were treated badly by the king or people that were higher class than them, and nothing was happening, that couldnt have happen in civilized countries now a days, and if it could its very rare. overall, i think that since im used to living in this time perioids, this is the time period i would only want to live in.

Wow. That is a very good question. I was going to ask it but hey heres a topic right here. It depends I would kind of want to live back in the past when they had swords and catipults and such.Sometimes I wish I can become a caveman. In there time I can be like the first person to invent fire and be the first for everything. I dont know what does everyone else think about this?

hmm with such a good question, i expected a lot more people in here but heh ^^well who isn't curious how the future looks ? i'd surely like to take a lookbut living in the future might be not as fun as it soundsimagine how the world would be in that timeit might be worse then now, more wars, nature heavely damagedlol perhaps no more electricity (i surely would't wanna live in such a time)i guess the time we're living in now is the best for usunless you hate pc's and disgust all material that uses electricity ^^