xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

(claims)world's Smallest Country For Sale

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/01/08/world-smallest-country-for-sale.html

Wow and you only need $977 Million dollars for it but whats funny is this

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

After nearly 40 years of completely independent economic, social, political, and geographic independence in the North Sea the Principality in late June of 2006 suffered a devastating fire which has crippled its infrastructure significantly. In common with other island countries, our resources here are limited; the difficulties this disaster presents are compounded by the effects upon our population and industries.

No wonder they want to sell it, of course the article goes on to say that is worth about $126, I bet some terrorist wouldn't mind getting a hold of that little platform :P.

I say this once, the person to buy this is a MORON!!! and the people who "own" this island are even bigger idiots for even thinking this would be possible to be consider a nation. Hey what am I to say about how people spend their money foolishly.

Sealand is a great place, although the guy that originally lived there doesn't any more, I thik there is a data storage or hosting company there or something now. They have passports, currency, territorial waters etc, so why shouldn't they be a country? It's the same sort of arguement as to whether the Vatican counts as a country. Pity to see it get sold though.

It's an off shore platform. Last time I checked, you needed land to be considered a country. As it stands, it's probably more like "in international waters" than an actual country. That is why Vatican city is still technically the smallest country in the world.

The picture looks fake. It seems it had been photoshop-ed. And that 'scrap metal' cost US$977mil? That is rather adsurd. But I found it quite funny that they had their independence. Which superpower conquered such small 'scrap metal', I would really like to know :P

From the site it is in international waters off of England's coast. More like someone decided they didn't like the way things where being run so they got the money and bought one of these platforms and said. "I CHRISTAN THEE SEALAND" or something to that effect.

I really do find it being stupid. I think it would be a lot cheaper and a whole lot better if you spend that money in your own private, modern offshore platform. That thing is from world war II, how long do you think it will last? I give it 15 to 20 years. I guess there are some filthily reach people out there that would buy it for that price just to earn the title of president or something. But I still find it really stupid. For that money they could buy a real island with a nice beach and still be able to build a house on it.

Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain. In late June of 2006, the island suffered a devastating fire which destroyed much of the country's administrative centre and the main power generation facility which serves its population and industries. Fortunately, back-up systems exist which permit its activities to continue but the disaster has compromised significantly the quality of life of its inhabitants and the continued development of the island's economic and social growth.

The history of Sealand is a story of a struggle for liberty. Sealand was founded on the principle that any group of people dissatisfied with the oppressive laws and restrictions of existing nation states may declare independence in any place not claimed to be under the jurisdiction of another sovereign entity. The location chosen was Roughs Tower, an island fortress created in World War II by Britain and subsequently abandoned to the jurisdiction of the High Seas. The independence of Sealand was upheld in a 1968 British court decision where the judge held that Roughs Tower stood in international waters and did not fall under the legal jurisdiction of the United Kingdom. This gave birth to Sealand's national motto of E Mare Libertas, or "From the Sea, Freedom".

The official language of Sealand is English and the Sealand Dollar has a fixed exchange rate of one U.S. dollar. Passports and stamps have been in circulation since 1969 and the latter decade of the 20th century saw an impressive expansion in its activity both socially and industrially as it began to develop a growing economic base which underscored its long-standing membership of the international community of States.

The website which was originally constructed for Sealand is located at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; there you may find early pictures and other information relating to the first 25 years of the island's life; the web site is maintained there for historical purposes.

Edited by zak92 (see edit history)

I agree with all, It seems rather silly to spend that kind of money on a Platform of metal. If I had that kind of money and were really hellbent on blowing it all over I would rather spend it on a nice small REAL island. The idea of declaring a metal platform an independent country is pretty funny though.

That for an old World War II artillery platform? And... country? I like how ambitious these people are. XD It seems like fun, but it's also not worth my time and money. Besides... it's not even an island. :/ It must be depressing to live there seeing only the same people everyday and being excluded from society. Nothing beats living on real land!

Id like to know where exactly its located and what does the surrounding area look like. reason I ask is if its a decent area still, just imagine if you bought it..I would build sometype of small resort on that thing. Re enforce everything there.. make it like some type of get away place for the rich and famous.. yeah i see there is no beach from the looks there, but im sure youve all heard of man made beaches , lakes, rivers.. so im sure with enough money you caould really turn something good out of this..its just my opinnion.

Sealand is a disused military gun tower in the North Sea, about 6 miles off the east coast of Suffolk. There aren't really any beaches near it and the only access is via small boat. Building a man made beach in the middle of the North Sea, a major shipping route, would be interesting to say the least :P

Just an update on this story, it appears that the website The Pirate Bay intends to purchase the tenancy rights to Sealand if they can get enough money. Information is available here and here.