xisto Community
ajaykumarmeher

Ineffective Spam Filter Of Gmail

Gmail's spam filter is hardly ineffective. Its built off of users marking mail as spam and then the engine searching for similar emails and addresses. I get about 200-300 spam messages a day. At most I'll see one or two spam messages in my Inbox. Its usually zero.

Nothing's perfect. Even Google isn't perfect. At least they rely on the people to sort out which is spam or not. AI ones would probably be worse. When I do get spam in my inbox... (which is rare), I report them right away so I can help others out. Spam doesn't bother me much... as long as they're out of the way as they should be.

IMO, Gmail is awesome at spam filtering. During the holidays, I was really getting hit by spam (meaning that spam was getting past the filter), but now it has subsided. Generally the amount of spam I recieve daily is under 5 messages, and when I do see spam in the inbox, all it takes to flag it is to check the box next to it and hit Report Spam.

Well I don?t know about other experiences but I have had accounts on hotmail, yahoo and lycos and I must say that Gmail has far the best spam filter. I don?t receive any spam in my incoming folder and if I had received one or two (which i don?t remember but it?s possible and understandable) I marked it as spam and it worked with next mails. But it?s like everything, I try not to put my address in every site and forum i visit and if I have to, I put things like me(at)gmail(dot)com or whatever. You cannot blame a mail service for all the spam you may receive, it?s your business too.

gmail has one of the best filters for spam. Sometimes I receive even 20-30 spam messages / day.. Well, up until now, none (and I mean it - none) of these has passed the spam filter, into my inbox.. it works perfectly for me :P...

Google has done well with their spam filter. I get very few messages ever reach me, and those that do are always correctly identified as spam. I have never had a single spam message in my inbox, and never a 'real' message go to spam. Real people are brilliant at determining what is spam and what isn't. Perhaps people have marked the GMail messages as spam because they don't know what they are, or Google may have a fault in their algorithm, but it seems unlikely.

Just like all spam filters, they are adaptive. The more you use the mail client and the more messages you mark as spam, the better and more reliable the filters get. They take the messages you mark as spam and relate them to other messages to see if they purpose, subject, etc. are similar or the same in order to determine if they are spam.

What I would do: with over a gig of mail box space who needs a spam filter? I certainly don't, it gives me somewhere to attack. Just sign the spamming e-mail address to various sites to get them spammed :P.

Here I dont actually want to blame gmail neither I want to tell that they do not have an effective spam filter. Gmail spam filter actually user driven that is it acts accordign to the users choice.....But how come it can put its own e-mail into the spam folder. And I have never taught the spam fileter to term the mail from google as a spam. Thsi is obvious from the screen shot in the link I provided.