xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Windows Vista Let The Count Down Begin

Well in 26 Days we will see either the fall or rise of an Empire. I am referring to Microsoft's Windows Vista, which they would claim to be the ultimate edition of their OS since it's introduction of Windows 3.1.

Although I haven't seen anything about their response to the Huge amount of resources that is needed to run Vista. Everyone knows that Vista will pretty much clean out Computer RAM and if I remember correctly at least 10 GB of space to run this.

Which means that computers that you have bought that are at least 4-5 years old without any changes to them will in fact not run Vista smoothly. Heck even the computers that that 1-2 years will have hard time running this OS, due to the fact most people have at least 1gig of ram. Of course from what I read around the net you would at least need 2gigs of ram to run smoothly. That is because of the Huge GUI (Aero) that is being used, then of course the fabled black box for Microsoft new security system.

We know the Business edition out now but what about the rest? Simple Answer January 30, 2007.

So lets start with the break down.

Windows Vista Starter-

Put it like this if your rich or live in a rich country you will never see it

Windows Vista Starter is not currently scheduled to be available in the United States, Canada, the European Union, Australia, New Zealand, or other high income markets as defined by the World Bank.

Funny they didn't put a price tag for it, must come free or something (AHAHAHAHA :P)

Windows Vista Home Basic-

Basically if you only use your computer to write emails or do some word processing, then this edition is for you. For Example my Dell Dimension 4500 with a pent 4 is capable of running this OS (don't ask me how)

If you have the standard 512 of ram and at least 30GB hard drive then your adventure to this OS is as far as you go.

Retail Value $199,99 upgrade value $99.95

Now up for grabs is the Windows Vista Home Premium-

My Dell XPS can handle this so, you will need at least 60gig hard drive at least 1 gigs of ram, although I am using a centrino Duo processor, you might as well looking a dual core processor to handle all those pretty pictures. Which means you would need a computer like Alienware's to get this going or least in ram, Hard drive and graphics card.

Retail Value $239.00 Upgrade $139.00

Windows Vista Business-

Unless your running a business in your home then you don't need this OS. This would be recommended for small to medium business.

Retail Value $299.00 Upgrade $199.00

Windows Vista Enterprise-

Same thing as businesses but for larger and super large business IE: Microsoft, or a telephone company. OF course this OS would be use for "Major" security like banks, The Pentagon and most major software companies.

Retail Value N/A Upgrade N/A

Now the Final version

Windows Vista Ultimate-

Unless you have this sick disease called "I need to have an ultimate computer" then here you go and Unless you have 300-400BG hard drive and like 10 GB of ram. Or the most expensive computer Alienware can design then this is for you. Basically what I am saying you need deep pockets in order to run this OS properly and at least 4 gigs of ram at least 100-150 GB hard drive.

Oh lets not forget the fact that their will be so many software issues with this OS it's not even funny, thats including the fact that MS black box can find out if you are using legit software. Not point any fingers at anyone just pointing them at the monitor in referring to those of who I am talking about.

Then of course MS evil scheme to monopolize the industry by making sure no one else's software hardware works as well. Unless it has the M$ <--actual dollar sign, on it's box. Then on top of that who know how many hacks have been prepare for Vista since people with those MSDN account love to torrent that OS. I have seen quite a few so I would know on that, not stupid enough to upload it either.

I may eventually have Vista install (when I buy a new computer which will be like never or in 30 years from now) but I be sticking with XP for quite sometime. Since in this case metaphorically speaking is more secured then vista (thats still funny but what the heck it is true).

Retail Value $399.00 Upgrade $259.00

Microsoft will continue to release operating systems - it's what they do best and it looks like people are going to fall for it everytime (premium price that is).

Microsft Windows Vista is my long expecting OS as it looks coller like Mac OS and also rock solid security.Microsoft has the Starter Editions only for the developing nations where piracy is high, to lure the customers to buy original product.

Microsft Windows Vista is my long expecting OS as it looks coller like Mac OS and also rock solid security.
Microsoft has the Starter Editions only for the developing nations where piracy is high, to lure the customers to buy original product.

I have to disagree about security for obvious reasons....every single OS theyve brought out has been hacked, their last anti piracy system was written in javascript!! as these people retarded? Rhetorical question, no answer needed! and was hacked in 45 minutes i believe.

I do like the look of the taskbar in vista beta, and i assume that wont change but that is the only good thing about it. and xp can be skinned.....so can linux, mac etc etc etc....Aero...meh why do i need it? if i had transparent windows i wouldnt be able to read them properly....i dont want to see my desktop through the back of my film or my msn. And infact there was an addon for msn on x p that added transparency... I can tilt my windows...err why? If i have a window open i want to see it, if i dont want to see it i minimise it or close it...a lot easier and doesnt take a top notch gfx card and inexplicable amounts of RAM. I have a feeling that many laptops will have big issues with running this OS, even if you have the reuired system specs the fans in the laptop are going to go so fast it will hover.

I hope that xp will be the last windows OS i ever use at home, im hoping to send myself over to the linux side, especially with the latest mandriva edition.

I also hate the nanny culture MS brings, with every OS you cant do this or that withut MS knowing about it and i hate being spied on.

Well Vista already is out to their corporate license customers. At work we have Vista Business and are testing it. I also have a copy of it installed at home to fool with. Currently, it runs at the same speed as XP did on the machine and takes up rougly 50% of my 1 gig of RAM and some VRAM which i have 128 mb of. As for full screen games, all the windows VRam is released so it does not affect that. All i know is that i hope they release it to MSDN AA when it officially comes out so i can get Ultimate Edition.

Ill get sent every distro of Microsoft's Vista because ive got the Action Subscription Pack. To run Vista Ultimate you dont need that higher spec. a 40GB hard drive and 1-2 GB of RAM will be fine.

Well I've tested some of the betas in this 5 years, specially the latest ones. I have Vista installed on my computer as my second OS. But it's installed only because the Aero effects are truly wonderful. Without the Aero UI Vista is nothing more then a Windows XP that took more then 5 years to be developed.As for the requirements... on 1GB it runs pretty smooth when almost no other software is installed. It takes somewhere around 47% of the memory just for itself, without any software running in the background. It's not as much as I expected in the first place, but it's more then the 25MB which Windows 98 needed. Yeah the Aero effects are glorious, but it simply isn't worth it. Take the windows for example..... the fade in, fade out effect very nice, but it take half a second to fade in and another half a second to fade out. So just opening and closing a window makes you loose a second, not because your computer is slow or you need more RAM, but because the way the eye-candy is designed. Most of the time people look for efficiency rather then eye-candy. That is why I think XP will surpass Windows 98 when it comes to survival. It will live much more then Windows 98 did when Microsoft released Windows XP. Only future software will make people switch to Vista.It is not the fall of an Empire, but a chance given to Linux in the fight for desktop. Hope their up for the challenge!

Well think about it, Microsoft took 5 years and last I heard $50 million dollar price tag to develop this OS. If this happens to bust (which I doubt) it could hurt them in the future on any other OS's they might bring out. Of course the slowness of everyone converting to vista could hurt them as well.Although you comparing Apples ot Oranges, but Sony is have some huge financial problems due to lack of sales and problems with their products. Although they might not have $50 Billion to work with stocks could fall and could ruin M$. That of course would happen if we thought the worse case scenario would happen to befall M$.

Cant wait to test drive it, but I wont be rushing to buy it just yet. I was one of the lucky ones to not be one of the many to buy the Windows 98 Third Edition (aka Windows ME) dud in 2000.Would be interesting to see how stable it is after a few months.

As for the RAM needed to smoothly run Windows Vista I can tell from experience that 1 GB is sufficient. Vista offers an option to use plugged in USB sticks to expand your RAM by using the USB stick' memory, even without rebooting the system. You just plug in the stick and Vista asks you to use it as RAM.Although USB bandwith and memory access is slower than that of a true RAM chip, it is still much faster than Windows' virtual ram on the harddisk. For security reasons the RAM directed to the USB memory device is encrypted. So even if somebody pulls the stick out of your laptop to sneak on your RAM-data it will remain relatively safe.I love the idea to dynamically expand my RAM using an USB stick. However I have doubts if this can ever be a substitution to a real RAM chip because USB memory devices have a limited number of read and write operations before they die.

As for the RAM needed to smoothly run Windows Vista I can tell from experience that 1 GB is sufficient. Vista offers an option to use plugged in USB sticks to expand your RAM by using the USB stick' memory, even without rebooting the system. You just plug in the stick and Vista asks you to use it as RAM.
Although USB bandwith and memory access is slower than that of a true RAM chip, it is still much faster than Windows' virtual ram on the harddisk. For security reasons the RAM directed to the USB memory device is encrypted. So even if somebody pulls the stick out of your laptop to sneak on your RAM-data it will remain relatively safe.

I love the idea to dynamically expand my RAM using an USB stick. However I have doubts if this can ever be a substitution to a real RAM chip because USB memory devices have a limited number of read and write operations before they die.

That is interesting that they would set that up, which means you could take the number USB your computer can allow and plug them in and BAM instant RAM. My laptop has six USB which means I could put in about 6 gigs of ram if I wanted to. Thats if it will recognize more then one stick. Or could get those USB ports that offer like what 4-6 more slots apiece. Of course that would a bit excessive since the 1GB stck cost anywhere from $30-$40 a pop, then a somewhat of a question would be what would cost more those sticks or getting the ram chip set needed.

What i forgot to mention was if you get the Vista Home Basic, you will not get the Areo theme and the fading windows. You have to go a package up to get that.

I really don't care about vista, I'm still in windows 2000, the last GOOD OS microsoft has made. (XP SUCKS) Then again, vista's the first major new OS change since 95, so maybe it'll be something interesting, but I just can't see the point in an OS which would bring a three-year-old system down to its knees with system taxations.

Oh man! I didn't know Window Vista Ultimate need such high requirements. :P:P Guess I'll have to stick with Home Basics or Business.Before I go, I need some suggestions. My laptop is Window Vista capable (Intel Centrino Duo), each processor with the frequency of 1.83GHz and two 987MHz DDR2 512MB RAM. Should I buy RAM with faster speed or just save up my money and buy DirectX10 laptop graphic card in the future? I want to maximise Window Vista's feature.

Edited by -[Nero]- (see edit history)