xisto Community
kkrizka

Petals Around The Rose

While I was browsing around reddit.com yesterday, I found the following story about Bill Gates playing a game called Petals Around the Rose: http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-bg.htm

I have decided to try to figure out myself how to play it. It took my around 20 minutes to figure it out right. My main problem was that I was reading too much into the above article and making assumtions based on it.

Has anyone ever heard of the game? If yes, how long did it take you to beat it?

For those new to it, here is an online simulation of it:
http://illuminations.nctm.org/Lesson.aspx?id=1865

oh, we have a new "Potentate of the Rose" in Xisto. :rolleyes: yeah, heard of that many times, but it is always fun to be reminded -- especially of the anecdote relating bill gates with the game/puzzle. :) don't worry kkrizka, they say the longer you solve it, the smarter you are -- something to do with the vast amount of information/knowledge you sift through in trying to solve it. :rolleyes:

Yeah I heard about this game can't remember where I saw this but yeah it took me awhile to figure it out myself. Find it interesting that Bill Gates couldn't figure this out when they presented it to him at the airport (i think).

Got it too after a hint on that pageInteresting "game" could really annoy me if i couldnt get it!

I love this game. I don't remember how long it took me exactly, but I think it was about 20-30 minutes. The Bill Gates thing made me think a lot more mathmatically than it really was. My brother figured it out and now we keep showing it to our sister and she's still stumped. It's hillarious to watch her freak out when she doesn't get it.